Frequently Asked Questions for Newbies

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Didi, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-UlteriorModem Guest

Hi Cal et all,
    Long time :)
    Just thought Id drop a note to point out that the link to "List of commonly used terms and abbreviations" is 404
  2. ARCHIVED-retock Guest

Thank you for this list!

I played the game a long time ago and it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I recently thought I'd give the game another try. I logged on to find that my old character's class was changed. I guess much has changed. I made a new character and I'm really enjoying myself, but there is so much to learn. It's rather overwhelming.
  3. ARCHIVED-gnobodie Guest

Hi. New to EQ2, although I did play in the beta years ago. I have heard a lot about people turning off, combat xp, I think it is? What are the benefits of doing this?

Thanks
  4. ARCHIVED-Norrsken Guest

gnobodie wrote:
    You can get an unusal amount of aas, thus propel your toon into a strength it wouldnt normally have at the low levels.
    On pvp servers, this is basically the normal way to do things as well. ;)
  5. ARCHIVED-Magnamundian Guest

Turning off Combat XP allows you to do far more quests before you 'level' as you don't get xp from just killing creatures.

As a result of completing more quests per level you end up with more AA per level (and more money/items too). However it does make levelling slower.
  6. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Can we PLEASE get a link to a post answering (and giving the fix for) the question of why a new player cannot choose a different Region to play in?
  7. ARCHIVED-Swordmage Guest

Snowdonia@Runnyeye wrote:
    Can you amplify on this a bit?
    Is it that some race and class combinations are limited to certain starting cities?
    • If that is the case, then it isn't a problem, it is part of the game design. The only fix is to choose a different combination that is allowed in that starting region.
    Or is it that you don't have all the expansions and are trying to start in a region that you have not purchased access to?
    • If that is the case, then you need to be sure you have the appropriate expansions purchased. This is easy if you purchase Rise of Kunark, since it includes the others.
  8. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Surely, but note this is not my personal problem but a problem I have answered several times in the past couple weeks.

There have been at least three threads in the past week or two from new players, who started playing on the trial, have upgraded and now want to choose a different Region (IE server batch) from the region the trial launchers puts them on. They are unable to do this because the trial launcher is different from the full version launcher and the Region Select is omitted from the EULA page.

SOMEWHERE, and I don't know where exactly but do know it has been posted before, someone posted how to fix this and get the full version launcher so people who have upgraded from trial can choose a different region to the region they are FORCED to play on when they decided to try the game via the trial.

This information needs to be added to the FAQ. I don't mind answering peoples questions but when it gets asked a lot, it belongs in an FAQ for easy access to future players

EDIT: Here's the link to the post with the solution.
  9. ARCHIVED-mightybytch Guest

hi, new to this board, just wondering, if i was to cancel my subscription, would i lose my characters, or is it just my subscription that would close...my account will still stay open?
  10. ARCHIVED-Kulssin Guest

mightybytch wrote:
    To answer your question directly.. no. Some people have gone a couple years and returned with home, belongings and bank in tact.
  11. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Spyderbite@Venekor wrote:
    Further elaboration: last I checked SOE will only guarantee your toons and stuff will be there 60 days. But we don't hear of it happening.
  12. ARCHIVED-alyta2 Guest

mightybytch wrote:
    I just returned after cancelling my two accounts back in October 2006. All my characters were still there, with all their belongings.
  13. ARCHIVED-CymTyr Guest

I found the FAQ to be extremely informative and helpful. I myself am very new to the game, and I look forward to spending more time with it.
    Thanks for all the info!
    -Cym
  14. ARCHIVED-tintin5 Guest

This is one of the worst comfusing lonely games I have ever played.

I play solo, and trying to learn how to play this game. I have the professions nailed down (proff is what you do like tinkering etc etc).
    Now I am stuck, I have drops that say they belong to quests I dont even have...errrm these should only be dropping if you have the quest like all good games..rather than having them drop ONLY if you have the q in question.

My gear is a joke, yet I dont want hand me outs either. I do lots and lots of quests, but being lvl 18 I still have not received 1 AA...why? who knows..maybe the game lamed out on me.

In the meantime I just think they fouled up massively for beginners...if you cant afford to buy anything you are truly screwed. And no I cant make gold on the ah, because a) i dont know prices on adept books and b) even if I did I still wouldnt make anything. And most importantly I want to play this game for fun, but how is it fun if my own character isnt even developing in the first place with AA??? Playing in lamo gear.

Never the less I will attempt to get to 20 and if the same **** occurs then they can shove this right up where the sun dont shine, and I will be encouraging my friends who i asked to buy and play the game with me to give it a 1000 mile birth Coz lets be honest there is no fun in struggling, nor is there any fun in not understanding how and where to get the quests, that the items i find drops for are located.

I was enjoying the game until i got to 14, then it started going massively downhill...people expect you to be an expert in this game, most dont care if your new, at least on my server.

So after fruitless google searches for eq2 sites and only finding the goldselling sites...it would be prudent of you to at least list those sites, which give you help much like thottbot.. So far I aint found squat. And also maps please. At least If I knew what and where I was supposed to be going, id be able to enjoy the ride on my way there if you get my drift.

Starting areas...not enough help for new players (they should ALL offer quests so you understand the principles of what they are banging on about in their text..its one thing to read its another to do)...those npc's might as well not be there, they are so pointlessly useless.

Next, there should be quests that explain those drop quests I am talking about, like the orce flesh quest, which I still havent found the quest..there should be a primer quest, explaining about these types of quests...there are non that I could find...these NPC's should be either in main cities or starting areas for example.

Those I listed above are just some of the things that would remove the playing barrier to new players to ever quest 2, because it simply doesnt need to be so mind bogglingly confusing.
  15. ARCHIVED-DrkVsr Guest

Have you tried talking to people in game? Just have to ignore the morons until you find someone willing to help
    If you examine the Orc Flesh it will tell you what the quest that requires it is (the Orc Legend & Lore, a pretty cool quest that give you a special attack/buff to use against that type of mob, the Orc L&L can be found in the SW tower in the Commonlands Crossroads for the evils, the good can get it in Crushbone Keep)
    Don't worry so much on what sort of gear you have, mah main (at lvl 51) is still wearing gear from the 10's/20's and she pretty much only solos, but if you do the quests in Timorous Deep you should get gear that should last you until your 30's easily
  16. ARCHIVED-Mr_Re Guest