Frequently Asked Questions for Newbies

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Didi, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Didi Guest

Yes, berserkers are a class that can and often does dual wield. A berserker who is the main tank usually prefers to use a one-hander weapon + shield for the extra avoidance that will give him, but a berserker simply out to do lots of damage will do very well dual wielding.

There are three main types of weapon "wielding" types and a berserker can use all of them:
    • two-handed - these weapons have the highest damage rating, using one of these weapons occupies both your weapon slots (it equips in your primary weapon slot but you will not be able to equip anything in your second weapon slot while using a two-hander). Things like greatswords, and big two-handed axes fall into this category.
    • one-handed - these weapons require only one hand to use them, BUT you cannot use a second weapon in your second hand at the same time. You can use a shield in your off-hand, or a symbol, but not another weapon. They don't do as much damage per hit as a two-handed weapon, but of course you also get the benefit from the shield or symbol in your off-hand.
    • dual-wield - these weapons are the only type of weapons that can be used in pairs. You cannot use a one-handed weapon in one hand and a dual wield weapon in your second hand, both have to be labelled "dual wield". They tend to have the lowest damage rating of the three types per weapon, but since you use two of them, the total damage is similar to that of a two-handed weapon.
    Whenever you examine a weapon, you will actually see the wield type on the weapon description saying "two-hand", "one-hand" or "dual wield" so be sure you are purchasing the correct type that you want.

To answer your other question ... from memory, the crafted weapon called "long sword" is a one-handed weapon, not a dual wield weapon. That would mean that as a berserker you could use it, but you could not dual wield it. If it's just the sword graphic that you're after, there are certainly swords out there that are dual wield weapons, and yes, a berserker can use them. Two axes is also a popular choice for berserkers. And the higher in level you get, the wider variety of interesting looking weapon graphics will be out there (don't forget, you should be looking to replace all your equipment and weapons about every 10 levels).

Hope that answers your questions!
  2. ARCHIVED-46397936 Guest

Didi wrote:
    Thanx! That answers all my questions and more!
  3. ARCHIVED-Draxzyl Guest

I am new to PVP and keep seeing locking at level XX mentioned in guild recruitment. Can I get an explanation of what that is and how it works?
    Thanks in advance!
  4. ARCHIVED-Didi Guest

I am NOT a PvP player so this is just what I gather from browsing the PvP forums from time to time, and you might get a more complete answer if you ask there. However, my understanding is that "level locking" is when you turn off your adventure XP (you can do this by right-clicking on your XP bar) so that you don't level up, or at least, not as fast. This means that you can spend your time getting really really nice gear and spells and lots of achievements compared to what would be "normal" for the level you are at.
    For example at level 10, the average player on a PvE server anyway isn't really well equipped. They probably don't even have gear in every slot, they're probably still wearing a lot of newbie island stuff with few stats, their spells are probably still Apprentice I, or maybe IV if they're lucky. They might have one or two achievement points once they hit 10, but not enough to really do anything. And because you level up so fast at these lower levels, it's really not worth the time or expense for them to go looking for better stuff, because in a few hours of play time they could be 15 or 20 and ready to upgrade again anyway. Certainly on PvE servers, most people don't really even worry much about spells or upgrades beyond what can be easily quested or obtained, till they're in their 20s. However, if you turned off your XP at 10 and just sat there for weeks, you could accumulate significantly nicer equipment than the average level 10 guy has. With a full set of mastercrafted or even fabled gear, adept III or Master spells, and dozens or more achievement points spent in making them more powerful, you could massacre most other level 10s easily.
    I think this is what is meant by "level locking" - but as I say you might find more detailed answers in the PvP forum from the experts who've actually played there. Me, I would last about 0.5 seconds on a PvP server so I stay a safe distance away! :D
  5. ARCHIVED-Kulssin Guest

Didi wrote:
    Pretty much, spot on, Didi.. I'd just add one point that is consistent with most "Level Lockers"..

Rarely do they hunt solo.. mostly in packs.. the whole point of "Level Locking" is to farm Fame and win at all costs. Thus, by traveling with a few friends geared up to the hilt.. failure isn't an issue. Ever.
  6. ARCHIVED-Edins515 Guest

Hello im a new player and have a question.
    i've tryed searching but couldnt find anything that kind of explains AA/level lock. all th threads i found were the pro's and con's of level lock. If somebody could post what AA/level lock is and how to do, or some links that explain it, it id be very grateful.
    thanks.
  7. ARCHIVED-Klange Guest

[p]Didi,[/p][p] [/p][p]Bless you for stating this thread it helps not only noobs but us returning people as well :). Once again my thanks.[/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-AnimeWarrior Guest

All the Devs that work on EQ2 are good, but I think that the two best Devs are Didi, & Calthene! Those two seem to work on a lot more of the problems in EQ2, than any of the other Devs! All hail Didi and Calthene!
  9. ARCHIVED-Rcomplex Guest

10. ARCHIVED-AnimeWarrior Guest

I have all of the Voice-Over Packs so far for EQ2, and, starting with the Newbie Areas, a lot of the Voice-Overs are either partially missing, or missing altogether! What can be done to fix this problem, Didi & Calthene?
  11. ARCHIVED-AnimeWarrior Guest

In orderto post a new thread, or post a reply, you must, when you log onto the EQ2 website from the EQ2 Launchpad, go to the button in the upper-left-hand corner of the page that says Log In, & Log Into The Forums!
  12. ARCHIVED-Fizz Guest

[p]Just tried the links to the Solo Quests, Heritage Quests and Lore Quests. These were working yesterday but seem to be going to an add page now. Pity, as these were extremely useful links.[/p][p]Fizz[/p]
  13. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

its because the eq2i.com is no more... the new address is http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page ++Xan
  14. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

AnimeWarrior wrote:
    Me? I'm not a Dev :) Just a player who works for a fansite. If I were a Dev I'd make a *lot* more money!
  15. ARCHIVED-Mirrian Guest

Where do you get the containers to put stuff in so you can sell it via the broker, I asked in game and someone said you get them from the broker but he only had player vended boxes, not some type of generic box. Do you really have to pay several gold to get a box to sell stuff?
  16. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

No, any container will work in the broker slots, whether you quested it or a crafter made it. But the very best containers are made by carpenters from rare woods, as they have the most slots.
  17. ARCHIVED-Mirrian Guest

Hi, its me again <G> Nuther tradeskill question sort of. In my first receipe book it list some of the items required as raw roots, raw elm, ect.. I did a search on a broker for 'raw' and it didnt come up with anything. Where do you get raw..whatever. I can forage roots and elm but its not raw.
  18. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

The ones you forage are "raw", lol. Back in the bad old days we had to refine harvestables and "raw" indicated that you used something straight from the node. These days all recipes take straight harvestables (which we call often call raws).

So raw roots are "roots", raw elm is "severed elm."

These guides might help:

A Harvester's Guide
    Harvested Resource Lookup & Use Guide
  19. ARCHIVED-Mirrian Guest

I have heard people talk of blocking your combat experiance, how do you do that and why?
  20. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Mirrian wrote:
    you lock it by right clicking on your XP bar and selecting turn off combat experience.

I have no clue why people do it, lol.