Few odd questions from mid game

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by DoomDrake, Sep 30, 2015.

1. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

What is research? Does it always cost in-game currency? or how it work anyway? Other thing I harvest few strange things and notation said - this blah blah blah can be used to craft grandmaster spells 70-79....erm .. how?
    Other odd question - appearance... How I set one? I found in Old sebilis from ornate chest tunic (apparently appearance only) looks ok - how I can make it my primary appearance? Also I got from Queen of Chardock locked box (saying something conquer of Kurnak set) ... it also appears to be appearance set?
    Lastly about progression - my warlock currently at level 81/340AA and I am pretty much exclusively leveled in Kurnak (got my epic as well) and I am almost done (just few last shiny to complete my grandmaster collection) - do I really need/want to do Moors of Yakesha for anything? like faction, certain quests etc.? I can certainly see that loot/gear just from running agostics at level 81 yield far superior over anything I can get from RoK/Yakesha.. I still going to visit dungeons that I have missed just for **** and giggle (so far I have completed 100% Karnor, Chardok and Sebilis almost done Chelfish (sp)
  2. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

Research: open your spellbook (hit K) and when you are in your spells (or combat arts) you can choose a spell to upgrade over time. If the spell is now apprentice, you can research it to journeyman, journeyman to adept, adept to expert, expert to master, master to grandmaster.

The "strange things" that make grandmaster spells? Anyone who has scribed a grandmaster spellbook for that tier can use that item. You've seen the "advanced tradeskill volume xx" books right? Well there are things like "fighter grandmaster recipes volume vi" which would be all tank grandmasters levels 50-59. These books are uncommon drops.

Appearance is easy! Look closely at your character window (press C) and you will see that you can either show equipment or show appearance. Anything dropped into an appearance slot is what is visible, overwriting the actual equipment.

Ykesha's not necessary unless you want to do its involved questlines. Fun though. Now once you hit level 85 go right to Velious by way of the otter at Sinking Sands dock and start that questline.

I also recommend highly that you visit the stickied thread at the top of this subforum: Share your Latest Tips
    DoomDrake likes this.
  3. Meirril Well-Known Member

One more thing about making Grandmaster Spells. While crafters can make them the recipe always requires a corresponding master spell to the GM you want to make. Also while any crafter can scribe the book with the recipe, it is much easier for the correct crafting class to make that spell since those recipes use the skill for that class.
    santargria likes this.
  4. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Thank you! I noticed that research thing but when ever I was about to press "start research" it asking about in DBC cache to pay. The strange material for GM spells I did harvest from the "roots" nodes in RoK and notification been - "this material can be used for crafting GM spell 70-79"

Another question I forgot to ask - where I can use Etyma currency (you get 8 with membership for doing agostics) and generally speaking how much I need to buy something worthwhile?
  5. Enoibia Well-Known Member

You can use DBC to speed up the research otherwise you just let it run for the amount of time it tells you it will take and then claim it and start an different research.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  6. Meirril Well-Known Member

Not really sure why you'd get Dragon Etyma for that. DE is an expansion specific currency used in the Vesspy Isles. There are a few merchants there that take Etyma and you need more than you have to buy things. You get DE by doing daily/weekly quests in ToV.
  7. Adevil Well-Known Member

You also get Etyma from running the agnostics. I guess it's so players can buy some gear when they get to ToV?
  8. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Yes I am getting Etyma in agostics - since I am doing them to get my master spells (the only reliable source). With membership bonus it comes with 8 per run. I am not sure how much single piece of gear cost but so far I accumulated around 240 (at level 81)
  9. dorotea Well-Known Member

That is far far more than you will need to gear-up at the leveling gear merchant near the beginning.
  10. Carynn Well-Known Member

I am of the alternate opinion to definitely do Moors before Velious. Or go up to Sundered Frontier/S.Highlands and do those zones. You want to be around level 92 before you start Velious or else you'll top out on content (pre-release) at level 98, and the advanced solo zones are hard to solo unless you start it at level 97 in Phantom Sea (unless you have great gear/great AA setup). There are HQs in Moors, L&L, Guk, and a crafting timeline you'll need to do if you want to get enough faction with the various groups for recipes or for HQs. (I'm an HQ junkie. I've done all but the top end ones which require raids.)

If you go up to SF/SH, pay attention to the dialogue when you follow the main questers from area to area. You'll learn why the zone is in the sky. It's amusing.

(Also, in those zones, be careful! One wrong dialogue choice can block quests or entire areas from being accessible.)
    DoomDrake likes this.
  11. Carynn Well-Known Member

12. Enoibia Well-Known Member

Really? Care to enlighten us, please? I'm interested to know. :)
  13. Carynn Well-Known Member

The quest that leads to the Hua-Mein is one of them in SF. In SH, the quest that leads to the Abandoned Kerra Village (Kejek). If you do not answer "the reports are false" in both of those, it blocks you from quests. I was rather po'd when I learned that, because you can't change your mind and delete the quest you answered wrong. I missed out on eight to ten Kejek quests. Not sure if there are any more, but those are the two I found where dialogue mattered in terms of more quests access.
    Enoibia likes this.
  14. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Carynn, thank you for timely warning :) I am really not in rush to get in my 100 thus I already at 340AA at my level 81 and I turn off experience just to complete Moors of Yakesha ... it bring some really old memories doing heritage quest lines. I am already grossly overgeared and over AA current content so I am doing some achievements as well :). I still going to visit at least once every none epic dungeon in Kurnak before I move forward. I am also wonder do I need for anything in future Mark of Paineel (drops from chests in dungeons in Yakesha - like Deep Forge, Mirgauls, Runneye - Gathering?
  15. Enoibia Well-Known Member

Thanks, Carynn. I luckily answered correctly for the one in SF. Don't know that I came across the one in SH so I will have to check that one out.

ETA: Seems I've skipped SH almost completely. Somewhere to go back to when I'm waiting for my game buddy to level up, perhaps?!