Feature Request - Remove the 9999 plat cap

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Atan, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I'm not stating that the bags of plat from the loyalty merchant didn't add to the problem, they totally did. However, the amount of plat that someone can get through that route is finite during a specific span of time, unless they have several member accounts, whereas the previous problem was only limited to the number of eligible characters one created. The most number of loyalty tokens that can be obtained in a 30 day period is 60 (with double currency awarded). This amounts to a maximum of 75p * (60 ÷ 5) or 900p in a given month. With prices easily twice that amount (or more) for Krono, someone won't be able to support multiple member accounts by using each account's loyalty tokens for plat. Someone could conceivably go 11 months collecting loyalty tokens at the single rate, then go gold for one month (at the double rate), and trade all the tokens in at the end, but that would yield (450p x 11) + (600p x 1) or 5,550p, but an addition of that amount of plat per account doesn't account for the amount of plat that we are seeing. Even a full year's worth of double currency would yield 10.8K plat, but that would only account for one character per account (with 800p left over) paying for something as expensive as the low end for ethereals. I don't know about others, but I know that I sure wouldn't spend 92%+ of my gain from that source on a single item.

This leads me to believe that one of the following is true: (a) people had a lot (and I do mean an excessive amount) of plat sitting in the bank - especially after the playerbase found out about the switch to coin purses, (b) some players have found a plat faucet that is more rewarding to those that have numerous characters, (c) people are running current zones ad nauseum or (d) all (or at least more than one) of the above.
  2. Estal Well-Known Member

Every basic fetch me 10 rat hides quest awards 1 plat or more at 80+ (and plenty of them are repeatable).
    Every named mob from the last 3 or so expansions drops plat.
    There are several relatively high value vendor trash items, all those essences that sell for around 80 gold add up, as does the other trash loot that sells for even more, even in old zones like SS you occasionally get corpse loot that vendors for up to 3 plat, especially once you couple that with the speed we kill mobs at these days it adds up very quickly.
    The bonus cash drop for subbed players has been running for ages.
    Also there are the plat bags from loyalty merchant.

Add all those sources for fresh plat and a lack of plat drains together and you have a recipe for inflation.

And that is just the actually new plat entering the game, on top of all that you can then also boost your income by selling stuff to other players.
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

While true, the selling of stuff to other players results in a net addition of zero plat, since it is just shifting balances from one account to another. So I don't think that it would really be a large contribution to inflation unless it comes from a person that wouldn't otherwise have spent the money on a different players goods and/or services.
  4. Estal Well-Known Member

Yes it is important to differentiate between new and "recycled" plat, but the old plat still has an economic impact.
    The new plat isn't distributed evenly, but rather pretty much along the amount of time people spend playing the game as obviously someone who plays for 10 hours will kill more mobs than someone who plays 2 hours.
    But the person who plays 2 hours still has a chance to find a rare shiny for example and then charge an arm and a leg for it from the person who played 10 hours, essentially it keeps the plat flowing around instead of rotting in some bank and plat being circulated leads to different prices compared to plat being stashed.
  5. Atan Well-Known Member

I've sold several items the past few weeks for over 20k each.
  6. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Yeah. I wasn't trying to say that old plat doesn't have an economic impact. Obviously if someone just had it in their bank and wasn't spending it, then spent it on an ethereal, that would add to the system. However, if it was plat that was already circulating in the economy, the net impact of that coin would be negligible.

Say, for example, that Player A sold 10 visionary sets to Player B and got an arbitrary amount (we'll call it 10K) of platinum in exchange. If Player B had been hoarding the money up to that point, then the impact of the transaction would (probably) be 10,000 platinum ÷ however much plat is in circulation on that server. If, however, the platinum was from selling a different item or set of items (for example, an excessive amount of collectibles or something similar), then there would be no economic impact from that transaction, since the net addition to the plat in circulation is zero. Essentially, only transactions that change the overall value of the money supply will have economic impact (i.e. something that increases or decreases the net amount of money in the system). Given that you are an economist, I'm pretty sure that you know this.

That is why I suggested that the biggest contributor to game inflation were the massive amounts of coin that one could get with enough characters before the introduction of coin purses. Because one could have numerous characters that they ran through those zones on numerous characters (especially if they concentrated upon a small range of classes and paid for PLs to the appropriate level) it isn't improbable that they could have amassed a serious amount of coin prior to that faucet being slowed to a trickle by coin purses.

Now I'm not saying that there are no other plat faucets, and I completely agree that the plat sinks that currently exist are very inefficient. However, the massive amounts hoarded from the zones that were later reduced by the coin purses were a large part of what got us where we are today with game inflation. They aren't the whole reason, but I believe that they are a large portion of it. The bags of plat from the loyalty merchant, though, are barely a blip on the radar in comparison.
  7. Regolas Well-Known Member

The CoE ethereals sold for up to 7kpp when new.

I often now see the EV charm go for 10k+ and the ethereals start around 10k with the bow being the most desirable at 20k+.
  8. Princeofpaladins Active Member

No one commented on my last post.
  9. Kander Developer

We haven't replied to this thread yet. We have a plan for this. Looking to have it changed with expansion 11.
    Feldon and Deago like this.
  10. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

Does this mean the plan can't be shared yet? It would be interesting to see what direction the solution is going.
  11. Kander Developer

That is what it means. =)