Fatal error last couple days

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Scottyxlr8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Freeport! Yes! I think I mentioned in this thread (could have been a different thread), but that is the biggest area where my crashes happen.
  2. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Well, unless I am jinxing myself, I been playing the last couple days, longer hours than usual, and zero crashes. What did I do? I stopped visiting Freeport, changed my recall point to Neriak. Will see how it continues to go. The crashes were a daily occurrence if I played longer than 2 hours. The last time I crashed I had to visit Freeport for a quest. Is when I finally decided to switch recall point.
  3. Nelenerap Member

I get this same error. Usually when I zone into my guild hall though.
  4. HaphazardAllure Well-Known Member

This happens to me every once in a while, and only when trying to zone into the guild hall. It's very infrequent for me, though.

I use eq2 maps, haven't launched the game from steam and haven't crashed in Freeport.
  5. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I haven't got it yet by zoning into Guild Hall, was hoping to find some sort of common ground on why this happens for some. I did end up getting the error 1 time in Great Divide on Thursday, but thats literally the only time it has happened to me ever since I stopped visiting Freeport.

Such a weird thing, and different common areas for where it crashes for players. :confused:

Editing to also add: It wasn't always Freeport I crashed in, but if I visited Freeport, then left the zone, it wasn't long after that I crashed. Otherwise I was fine.
  6. Scottyxlr8 New Member

I use the launcher, and I have tried EQ2.exe. I got a new convertable (tablet/laptop) around Thanksgiving (yes, it is well beyond the minimum requirements. I don't care about all the eye candy, I just want to play), and have been playing 2-4 times/week (including some long multiple hours sessions on weekends) since then without any issues. Until the last patch. I have run the repair to no avail. I did remove my McCaffe trial and installed webroot around that time, and I am fairly confident I have all the firewall settings correct.
  7. Scottyxlr8 New Member

I, too reinstalled the game. Since I just got my computer all set up, I'm not redoing Win 10 yet, though, but the error is a texture call error, so I don't think reinstalling the OS the road follow.
  8. Scottyxlr8 New Member

I don't use Steam, but I have tried all of these fixes my self.
  9. Scottyxlr8 New Member

Validation was one of the early things I tried, also, before I posted. And yes, ShaggyBodom, the EQ client maps to a virtual G drive to load the game (that's the loading stuff the screens "caching appearances". In this case it's a framework texture that is an issue, though I'm not sure beyond that.
  10. Scottyxlr8 New Member

I hear what you're saying, but if you research the error, it goes back to 2000. While you're right in the amount of errors that could possibly go wrong with a game like this, this references a certain texture (like a wall, or steel, or walkway, etc.) in the framework of the game. I'd think the developer should be able to reference it and say, for example, "this problem is with Ranger only equipment and we need to fix the conflict with the new patch here", or "the most common problem is that the textures communicate these ports on your computer", or "the 235th texture has a conflict with the eyes of theolosinan when on". I'm just making stuff up to make a point, but with common problems the developer can usually identify it pretty quickly what's likely going on. Certainly, you are right that while 1000's computers are working, it might be an item or something that only a Wizard uses that's having a conflict, so relatively few computers are affected.
  11. Scottyxlr8 New Member

I'm not using the mod, but it sounds interesting!
  12. Scottyxlr8 New Member

Welp, I GOT IT! I did a full game reinstall from the Launcher, and verified files, and it work great! Not sure why the full game reinstall didn't work a couple of weekends ago, but it might've been a bad file for my computer from the patch before xmas and a good file at the last patch?
  13. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

While my fatal errors has dropped from 1 to 3 times daily down to so far once a week, now I am getting random crash to desktop without any errors since the last patch. This is not only frustrating to deal with, but also frustrating that it seems players are stuck trying to figure out workarounds (like I did by not visiting Freeport anymore) on our own. Add in the crashing and the very random fps drops (atleast they acknowledged that one.....), this is getting annoying.
    Kurisutaru likes this.
  14. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Guess it won't hurt to try this again, I am on my 2nd install of the game, and on a different hard drive. Maybe 3rd time is the charm? Thanks.
  15. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I zoned into a Guild Hall today and got 4 fatal errors at the same time..... all 4 this time were DX9 ones. I rarely get that one, its usually the texture ones.

I deleted all the cache folders the other day in the EQ2 folder (one of them was 20GB in size, not sure if normal), so still waiting to see if I will still get a texture fatal error at some point.
  16. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Please double-check your video card. Try VideoMemory Stress Test utility or something similar.
    Just to be sure, your GPU has active cooler, right?
  17. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

After clearing the 20GB assetcache near a week ago, I don't remember getting a texture fatal error anymore. But the DX9 one, while less common, is still occurring.

For anyone getting the texture errors, try deleting that assetcache folder in the EQ2 directory. The game will be a little laggy for a little bit when logging in and going into zones as it will be re-downloading the cache, but it cleared up rather quickly. Some reported deleting the logincache folder helped them but that one didn't help me.

All I got for now.