Fatal error last couple days

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Scottyxlr8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Scottyxlr8 New Member

[IMG]
    I get a picture icon, I don't know if your picture link is working, either. Anyway, it says "xEverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shut down.

<verify> G:\live\eq2\framework\render\DDSTexture.ccp (235):
    !"Unknown DDS texture flags"
    0192dd5e0192cb54
  2. Goldra Active Member

I've had that also - so I just restarted EQ2. However, I was also having browser and Windows problems. I've fixed 1 of those problems by uninstalling W-10, and will have to see if that little error goes away (or not).
  3. Scottyxlr8 New Member

Tried to clear caches and reinstall eq. It's worse now, can't get to char select screen, now.
    [IMG]
    This is why I don't spend money on this game (though my records show I have at time through out the years [I started on EQ the summer of 2000 {I could've/would've spent near 10 X's the amount of money than I actually have on this game, bean counters!}])
  4. Shaie Active Member

Are you using the Launcher or the Everquest2.exe? You also did not say how long it's been since your last attempt to play. If it's been a while, it's likely that your launcher is out-of-date. You can download the newest version from https://launch.daybreakgames.com/installer/EQ2_setup.exe, then run the repair utility from the new Launcher. Just as a side note, when you click that the page will pop up but it will be blank. You should however see a box pop up at the top of your screen asking if you want to save the file. Click yes. If you still can't get it to work, try launching the game directly from the EQ2 directory in your computer, using EQ2.exe.
  5. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I run EQ2 from Steam, and I have had this issue for a while now. I can still play, but I crash every now and then with the fatal error.

Sometimes the location of "<verify> G:\live\eq2\framework\render\DDSTexture.ccp (235):" is different.

Not sure if coincidence either but my crashes have happened more frequently in Freeport. Uninstall, reinstall, verify files, it don't matter what I do (even reset Windows 10 for an unrelated issue, but hoped this one would be fixed with it, but nope). I even tried a 4GB patch someone linked in another thread (helps it run on more virtual memory) and I thought it helped. I lasted a couple days. Then crash again last night.

A lot have this problem. I don't think its an issue with our installs, but 1 thing I never got noticed if asked, does everyone that gets it play on Steam? Although friend of mine plays on Steam, she don't have the problem. But it has to be narrowed down to something don't it?
  6. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I play Steam version for about 2 years and I have never got this kind of problems.
    I would check the hard drive on errors. Try Right-click on C: drive->Properties->Tools->Error-Checking tool.
  7. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

No issues on that end, but thank you. I have also had EQ2 on 2 different drives over the past couple months. Same errors on both. Switched it from a HDD to an SSD.
  8. Anhari Active Member

Go into the Launchpad advanced options abd click on verify files. Let it run the verifier and see if if replaces any DDS files, which may be the issue.

For people playing on stream who played from a full install from a while back, this may be why they don't have issues. Their DDS files may be up-to date, and Stream has a couple of corrupt files. (just guess here folks, do't flam my vampire a$$)
  9. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Everything validates fine.

1 thing to know, this address: G:\live\eq2\framework\render\DDSTexture.ccp

Everyone I know that has a fatal error, including myself, does not have a G drive. What I heard is the G drive is located at Daybreak, but no idea how true that is, you hear lots of things on the internet :p
  10. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Please also check if that you have latest Windows 10 64-bit drivers for your video card.
  11. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Yup.

Would be nice to see a developer response to this. Also curious why it points to a file location that don't exist on our computers.
    Kurisutaru and Scottyxlr8 like this.
  12. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Well, it is quite common as far as I know. I've seen that with other games too. This is a debug message from code. It provides a name of the source file on the workstation of the developer, not yours. But since this code works on thousands of PC's and does not work on your PC, I don't expect that developer is going to do anything about it. Most likely it is a problem of hardware/software setup of your PC. And since it says something about DDSTexture, it is most likely related to the video card. These are purely my speculations though.
  13. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I have seen many posts, and even more in game, complain about this fatal error. If that is not a problem with the game and a problem with everyones PCs, I would be surprised. I know you just speculating though. But me, and others in this thread that posted it, are not alone. A lot don't post because they know it won't really do anything.

That error always changes for me to, it points to completely different files at times.
  14. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Let's imagine a developer starts to investigate this kind of issue. After several hours of sending email to user and asking user to do this and that (like sending log-files, checking hardware and installed drivers, trying to get the configuration settings of user video card, etc...) ... only to find that one of the options is not available or disabled or not working on user video card... or to find that user video card gets overheated with unpredictable errors as a result.... or that user video card does not have enough memory.... or that user PC memory is not working perfectly well.... or your hard drive is failing.... or user Windows installation is corrupted.... or that user has wrong Direct X version... (the list of other 1001 possibilities follows).

Does this kind of troubleshooting really fits the job that game support or developer should do?

I'm not saying that people shouldn't bother game support in case of problems.
    But I think that it really helps to have an understanding on what is going on. (It's not that I'm an expert :) )
  15. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I just want to see what a developer says on if they think its all of our PCs or not. They should know :p When I see problems like this in other games, they get fixed. I only have 100+ games installed, and this is the only one giving issues. Ever. From other MMOs, the other Daybreak games, and games ranging from old to very new. Yes I jump around from games a lot, being on disability and not much else I can do, it helps.

If they need information like that to help them possibly fix a problem that numerous people are getting, then yes it is the troubleshooting that developers need to be doing. As an example, only some people were having issues with the new Darksiders Warmastered Edition, including myself. Ran poorly, and lots of crashing. Most it ran great for. The developer had people send him exact things you bring up, logs and everything. It was on the games end, it got patched, everyone happy. That is 1 of many examples. Have seen them help with users PCs as well, because if so many can't play, they quit, they lose income (mainly when it comes to an MMO, unless they people can refund it). But I know Daybreak don't really have a support team anymore.

You could be right, I could be right. I just would like to see what a developer says. Even if they can't fix it, would be better to know that than threads continuing to be created on this subject with no help in sight. I am not always right, and being an above average PC user, I do try many many many things before I look into the game itself. Fresh install of Windows 10 didn't even help me. Among other things. People give up easily when they bring up issues to Daybreak, but I am not one to give up so easily at times :p

Thank you for the replies, and sorry for this long one ;) I know how things can work, having even dabbled in game development and strong alpha/beta testing dozens of others, in depth. But I am fine if I find out I am wrong.
  16. Bella222 Active Member

I had lots of errors like this after I switched to Win 10 , but a helpful EQer told me in the forum that I just needed to update a certain driver that needed to be undated. He even linked the link. However, I can't remember the name of the driver. Perhaps a more knowledgeable computer person can resupply the link. It really worked. Evidentally, Win 10 does not contain all the drivers that Win 8 did.
  17. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Yea Windows 10 really don't :( I have got every driver I know that I need that it missed, and updated. But I will look around. No clue what EQ2 would need that nothing else does that I play. Thanks for the info.
  18. Kjellan New Member

It is true that many people have gotten this same error, and on several different versions of Windows... not just Windows 10.

Those of you who have gotten this error... are you using the popular EQ2 map mod, by any chance..? If so, then try disabling it temporarily and then see if the error repeats.

Just a hunch.
  19. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Yea the error is not tied to 10. I have gotten the error with zero mods, and with mods. It never mattered. I had that thought to, so stopped using everything including EQ2Maps but still got it.
  20. Tcmll24 New Member

I too get the same exact issue that Shaggybodom. I just purchased a high end gaming laptop and several days back started to get the error crashes. Especially random in Freeport. I talked to Nvidia and even ran Memtest, video card burn in test. Everything fine. I validated my game assets...fine. There is something wrong with there servers or game data.