Familiars pretty much worthless?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-Pkay, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-EvaLegion Guest

Worthless or not after reading this post I've decided to go from Warlock to Wizard. I like eye candy!!
  2. ARCHIVED-TheRealDude Guest

is old flappy still in the game? (going warlock but wanna know nonetheless having played a wizzy in EQ1) ... hoping he is a higher lvl familiar .... dont care much for the new "old licky" =P
  3. ARCHIVED-Entemoch Guest

Want to use your pet kitty to help kill mobs? in beta (maybe fixed now) if yout cat got hit with an aoe attack from a monster it defends itself. did 10-20 damage but was kinda cool.
  4. ARCHIVED-Koranuso Guest

Anyoen know where to buy the cat spell in freeport?
  5. ARCHIVED-Blearg Guest

I bought my copy from one of the scribes in the academy in north freeport (the building with the scroll icon on the map).
  6. ARCHIVED-Zcenicx Guest

:smileysad:

*sob* I wanted my pet dragon as a familiar...
    with a cute little flame attack that does as little damage as my staff...

:smileysad:

Adara Frostbourne, Wizard of Qeynos, Lost Souls Guild, Najena Server
  7. ARCHIVED-Stormferre Guest

Got mine in Temple street scribe
  8. ARCHIVED-SeTSwiPe Guest

I believe there are more familiars on the warlock path. I believe there's a level 50 familiar as a warlock
  9. ARCHIVED-Koranuso Guest

dude i love my cat

it actually saved my life once.

i was in the commonlands fighting the General Orc Leader guy int he valley....and it almost killed me but i ran....and it aggroed my cat. The cat gave me just enough time to run away before it died :(

Was a tough lil bugger, took at least 3 big ol hits of 90+ dam. Considering its size that not bad.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kelgrym Guest

Can the familiars be "upgraded"? If so, are they always cats, or some other creatures?

I agree with the above poster though, I do wish we could have different animals.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ulkesh Guest

mine has always been a cat, though not always black. it has saved my group once. after we pulled about 6 giants by accident we yelled and ran, the giants decided to chase me down. my cat got agro and took a beating (and subsequently died) saving my life. i still cry at night over furball #342512

anyways, from what i can see, if i am NOT eating or drinking i have a faster health/power regen with my familiar up, bout the same as next to low quality food/drink. anyone care to confirm/deny this???
    Message Edited by Ulkesh on 11-22-2004 01:56 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Sumatte Guest

I can't believe the wizard familiar is a giant stupid housecat. At least in EQ1 the familiars were flappy dragons. I was hoping we would get a cool imp or dragon, but instead we have a dopey looking chubby cat following us around?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining that the familiar doesn't really do anything, although it would be nice if it slightly reduced fizzle rates or something, but what a horrible idea for a pet. Shadowknights get warhorses, necros get skeleton form, conjurers get fire elemental form... and we get a big cat. I hate cats. :(
  13. ARCHIVED-Zorgnemer Guest

I just got my familiar and it's so cute!! I'm parading around Qeynos with it following me, along with my erudite racial tradition wisp pet :)
  14. ARCHIVED-Ulkesh Guest

one more reply, HAH, im killing varsoons apprentices for my robe quest, and when they ae me my cat goes balistic and jumps on them. i cant see where he does alot of dmg, but its funny as hell.
  15. ARCHIVED-Zorgnemer Guest

I just noticed my familiar disappears when I zone into a different part of the city. This is really annoying considering the recast timer is 30 minutes.
    For something that is supposed to be eye candy for the wizard, not being able to walk around with it in the city because it disappears all the time is very annoying. This just ruined the whole familiar thing for me, bah.

edit: Well I noticed the next time I zoned it still disappeared, but this time I could recast it right away. Next time, the recast was 600.. so I don't know what to think.
    Message Edited by Zorgnemer on 11-22-2004 03:17 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-Galco1 Guest

We also get other familiars at level 35 & 45
  17. ARCHIVED-Ulkesh Guest

any idea if they do anything other than maybe a different skin?
  18. ARCHIVED-Anev Guest

Ummm.....

Well, I got mine and at first was like ... gee ... thanks ... let's watch my friend pull out his shiny new palidan horse and me pull out my worthless but cute cat.

However, I got the thing so I might as well use it and besides at least my cat purrs when I am next to him where as his horse just vanishes.

So we are out on the steps fighting crabs on the beach and run into a syron (sp?) thing. We go to kill it and boy, next thing I know, Mr. Kitty gets hit and takes off after her. I was laughing so hard I didn't notice the damage but she was almost dead anyway.

Later, we are back wandering around the woods of Antonica and run into some skeletons. We are doing fine and all and then get two nasty zombies to spawn on top of us as we are sitting regenerating our health. My great palidan friend gets hit hard and has no power to do anything so has to take off running. I manage to have just enough power to cast a root on one and take off after him in the hopes I can get the other off his (non) mounted behind.

Well, as we all know, sometimes wizards shouldn't be chasing down grouped mobs when they have no power.... But I was trying to help a friend.... Mr. I Got A Horse and you a stupid cat friend /shrug .... oh yeah ... where was I. Well, I was chasing down my friend and the zombie on him, then as it always goes...they are on me.

Well, my health is dropping and still not enough power left to do anything much less sprint but I am trying. I am yelling at my friend to keep running, they are on me and I am about to die when he goes, no they aren't and stops. I turn around and hey...they are gone.

I then realize Mr. Kitty isn't there and go walking back. Low and behold, Mr. Kitty has both the zombies on him and is slowly but surely nawing away on their fleshy bodies. We watched for a few seconds, long enough for us to get some power and then as Mr. Kitty wasn't to live much longer, we let go on them zombies and killed them.

Sadly Mr. Kitty didn't make it but he fought well and did save both my friend and my life ... now Mr. I Got A Horse always wants to know where Mr. Kitty is and to hurry up and get him out when we are near large mobs of critters cause he does come in handy sometimes.

I am proud of my cat and when needed, he can be a life saver.

--Anev
  19. ARCHIVED-zalipolo Guest

I am a 21 Wiz and just picke dup my cat last night. Was just doing some testing right now. I do not see any effect that a cat has. Without food I regen 27pts of power every tick. Each tick is 6 secs apart. With food I regen 30pts a tick. With the cat it is still just 27.
  20. ARCHIVED-SirCopenhagen Guest

Well I have not got one yet, but I think cats are kinda cool but should the spell not be awarded at lvl 20? I mean from what I see here it really dont do anything special except in certain situatitions... and all the other classes get there's handed to them and it actually does something for them.

It do seem a little unfair. Plus, I think that if your toon is a male or female it should be a little different. I little dragon like that one in that one scribes store would really be much cooler for the male charactor. The female players probably like the kitty's much more than the male players do. =unbalanced.

I do like cats in RL, but I would rather have something that showed my man hood off a little more esp. if it is only eye candy.

End conclusion...need better eye candy.

now i am going shopping that is all...That really is not fair at all that we have to buy our eye candy...when other classes get thiers free. Devs?