Exp gain underpacing quests in Halas

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Katmandu26, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Atan Well-Known Member

There is no reason to increase the rate. Why do it so people can get to 50 faster to wait for the next expansion?

This server was very clear about what it was when it was created, I have to agree with others to come and complain that the slow xp server is slow is well, maybe you're on the wrong server.

Fact is, it is still not as slow as the original release, but its as reasonably close to it as I would like.
    Xephane and Dude like this.
  2. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

all this talk of vanilla eq2 makes me sad I missed out on chocolate eq2.
    Prissetta and Atan like this.
  3. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

You missed out, it was delicious.
    Xephane likes this.
  4. Xephane Active Member

Actually, no. If you think that's how it's supposed to be you are just too used to the live rates where quest hubs = quick levels. There is a lack of quests with slow exp rewards on purpose. They aren't there to push you to each tier, they are there to PREPARE you for the heroic content of each tier, and you use the heroic content to "prove your worth" and advance to the next tier. Sure, it might suck to do the content over and over, but so what? It really doesn't take as long as it seems. I'm still taking it slow and I'm already 43 on my wizard. There's a reason why there's quite a few zones you can do in each tier, if it was intended for you to "just quest to top tier" then there would be no heroic content available.
  5. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Dude, right now you are complaining about 13 year old game design. That is simply not how old school EQ2 worked and no amount of complaining about xp rates and wishing really, really hard is going to change that. You can say "it should work this way" all you want, but that ship sailed over a decade ago for this content. This is the game set to that era, take it or leave it.
    Xephane likes this.
  6. Mosharie New Member

I would question your assertion about it being clear about what the server would be when it was created. There have been numerous threads comparing Fallen Gate experience with what it was during the initial release of Everquest 2. However, the Everquest 2 Community Manager stated "Fallen Gate is not a replica of launch EverQuest 2 and was never really meant to be." So, if you take the statement of someone representing DBG the experience rate of Fallen Gate should not be compared or justified to the original launch of Everquest 2. Fallen Gate is a time locked expansion server (TLE). So, talking about how it was done in the original Everquest 2 going from newbie hamlet to newbie hamlet to advance to level 20 is moot.

I believe arguments in the thread reflect back to my original assertions of why the experience rate should be examined.

1. Experience rate should support those returning to the game and may be behind.
    2. Experience rate should support multiple play styles (grouping, crafting, solo questing, etc.)
  7. Xephane Active Member

Adventure exp is fine, and if you get "behind" vitality gives you double exp for a while, it helps a lot, my guildies level quite quickly with it and don't complain at all. Tradeskill exp on the other hand, it could use a bit of a hand, the base reward for completing each combine could use a x2 boost and the rush orders (being as hard as they are with no TS AA) could use a boost of maybe 20-30% base increase. I feel this would even out the playing field.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

TLE servers are not intended to be a replica you are 100% correct, and they are not. However, Fallen Gate is level locked at 50 doing Shattered Lands content. That is why the XP rates are being compared to Vanilla, not because someone said it is a Vanilla replica.

The XP rates should be tuned for what the max level of the content is. The max level can be reached in 1 week with pots, 2 weeks without. That is not that slow.

How far behind can some one possibly be? The server has only been out for 15 days. The content that was in Vanilla which is what we are participating in on Fallen Gate, was not designed to for questing to max level.

*edit- please remember, after Shatter Lands is over, you can still do it all when DoF comes out. Once you get to 50, you will only ever have to grind 10 levels in a 12 week period.
    Meaghan Stormfire, Xephane and Dude like this.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

This! Exactly this! It's not as easy as live. That's the whole point. But it's not hard. There are twelve weeks from the start of one expansion to the next. It takes two weeks of casual play to get to 50. That leaves 10 weeks at max level before the next expansion hits. That is plenty of time to do anything you want, even level a couple alts.
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

I'll have to see if I can find the link, but the Facebook post that got my attention to this TLE went to a letter talking about the TLE that specifically stated that XP rates have been tuned on Fallen Gate to be more in line with the original release experience.

I remember this clearly as it was the primary reason I continued investigating this TLE to play on.

Regarding Number 1, we all started at the same time here, anyone 'behind' is only behind due to their own commitment to play. If you are worried about people joining a TLE 3 or 6 months in, maybe you have some point, but I question just how many will come to a TLE late.

#2. I disagree, experience rate should encourage and reward a combination of all playstyles, not make them level. The current system I find is doing a great job at rewarding me for mixing all play-styles (well minus decorating, screw that stuff ;) ).
  11. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Could they have been clearer? Probably. That being said, the FAQ did lay out a lot of this.

https://www.everquest2.com/news/fallen-gate-faq

Particularly:
    Xephane likes this.
  12. Ribs New Member

I only think they should bump quest xp, honestly. Some quests are very involved and take several minutes to complete. 2-3% for some of these quests is underwhelming.
  13. Atan Well-Known Member

Are you saying the quest was difficult or that it was a timesink?

I found most of the heritage quests to be well worth the invested time. I got 60% of a level off journeyman's boots alone.

I agree, the xp reward for tedious quests is not worth it, so well, I don't do the tedious quests. Luckily there are options ;)

But keep in mind, killing ^^^ mobs is giving in many cases .1% xp, so it takes several minutes for a group to get 3% as well.

IMO, any increase to quest xp would devalue adventure xp. I find them well balanced in current state and do not recommend changing it unless you're going to change it all. Given how many will be 50 at the three week mark, I'm just not sold on the need.

It requires an adjustment, you will need to do more than one playstyle to level quickly.
    Meaghan Stormfire, Dude and Xephane like this.
  14. Xephane Active Member

Well said!
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Quite a few of us reported this during the beta along with the tradeskill line only getting us to 7.5 instead of nine.

Cyrrena
  16. Atan Well-Known Member

I think that is consistent with this TLE though. Consider that no TS quest existed at launch, I was thankful for the 7.5. Grinding to 9 took no time at all.
  17. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

To be fair, at launch we also had a bonus for first combine on a new recipe.
  18. Atan Well-Known Member

Yes, but that is in no way equal to that quest XP in terms of time to level.
    Xephane likes this.
  19. Takatok New Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but in Vanilla EQ2 you had to group. It wasn't an option to solo-quest, as there were no solo quests. Every mob from Commonlands/Antonica Tier on up were ^,^^,or ^^^ mobs. (or their equivalent.. 4 normal mobs == 1 ^^^ mob). Every quest, and even just clearing random trash in a zone was intended to be done by groups. There were no mobs that were "solo" mobs.

I don't remember if it was the "end" of vanilla or beginning of DoF, but they introduced the first of what you would consider normal mobs today in nek forest. A group of skeletons near the commonlands entrance. With notes that they intended to design more solo type quests for people to level with. Today they've "WoW-ified" themselves since they game was so much more lucrative, but originally this game was all grouping :)
  20. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned it because that's completely not how it was.