Everquest 2 on Zorin OS [Linux]

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Obi1, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Obi1 New Member

Thanks aabac. i'll keep Codeweavers-crossover in mind for next time.
  2. Obi1 New Member

Thanks, yes I decided to purchase the Ultimate edition because I wanted a new experience of an OS that is closer to the way windows worked late 90's/early 2000's: I don't like what Windows has become. Much like when I decided to play Everquest II a few months ago for the first time, because I no longer enjoy playing current fantasy MMOs because they have lost the flavour of what the genre is supposed to be.

So far the installation worked (I tried again this morning on a fresh install and it worked!) We'll see how it goes when I arrive home this evening.

Thanks for your help :)

Oh - so basically I realised that the Ultimate edition of Zorin must be a lot more stable than the basic (free) version, since things seem to be working?
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Let us hope that so
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Why isn't present? It's only necessary to find location of the game client and to insert there the corresponding files as you would make in Windows. For example to watch folders of the programs installed in Wine it's enough to include display of the hidden files in a file manager
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Not at once saw. Zotar, specify on what Ubuntu you play - at 18:04 or 18.10. It's not indifferent. On Saturday you put 18.10 (https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...0-is-causing-game-issues.588777/#post-6547250), then, on Monday - 18.04. How to understand it?:confused: For this game LTS assembly is more desirable. Because in versions "x.10" a repository are more movable. In other words have more chances that Wine will change for the version in which the game will not go. EQii belongs to such games for which sometimes it's required to select the necessary version of Wine. In Windows of a problem with this game happen, and in Wine too. The main approach to it's if something works normally that better not to touch. One day, after the next updating, problems can appear. To it it's necessary to be ready
  6. Zotar New Member

It looks like I mistyped on my earlier post. I am using Ubuntu 18.10.

I had previously installed Wine to run SWTOR, but I don't remember if I had added any additional modules.
  7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I would create the backup copy of OS before Wine is updated together with other programs. Unfortunately it's impossible to put selectively the ban on updating of these or those programs. Either all new, or all stable, or only safety. I give preference to updating only safety. Nobody guarantees that in the following Wine EQii will also normally go. In the EQii project shortly in the idea have to declare support already Windows 8 or above. Let's look whether after that at this forum will become more rare to write about problems with this game
  8. Ekaunek New Member

I play using Slackware for my distro, and SteamPlay for the WINE installation. I've tried using vanilla WINE, but some textures aren't rendered properly on my NVIDIA card. I do have one problem which is driving me bananas. After about half an hour after the first zone-in when the game launches, the client starts to fall down. The first symptom comes in the form of black boxes behind the text identifying objects in the game world. The next symptom is the game client complaining that the UI prefs file for my active character can not be written to. Finally, textures and animations become progressively more and more corrupted. The only fix is to /camp desktop and restart for another half hour of play time.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Devs of the GNU/Linux distribution as a rule suggest to load and try Live image of their OS. And it's necessary to do. Look whether this game in their distribution will go, whether will be problems? If everything is normal, then it's possible to set the OS. I have nVidia and in my Deb 8 too and also in PCLinux I didn't observe similar problems. I think as users the systems based on Ubuntu are hardly familiar with such problems
  10. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I checked EQII with Mageia 6.1 x86_64 (Wine 2.0.5 x32, from repository offered by the OS) https://www.mageia.org/en/ It seems without problems :) Requirements: proprietary driver, font "Arial" of Windows, dx9c, vcredist_x86 from game's client's folder, select "Windows 7" in configurator of Wine