Everquest 2 on Zorin OS [Linux]

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Obi1, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Obi1 New Member

Hi there,

I installed Zorin OS, a Linux based operating system yesterday on my laptop, because I have had continual problems using windows on my laptop - I always end up having to reinstall windows due to it becoming corrupted for some unknown reasons. So I made the final decision to move permanently to a more stable OS, and so far I don't regret it. I'm enjoying using Zorin OS.

However, i'm hoping there is a way to play Everquest 2. I can see from the sparsely numbered forum pages (mostly from many years ago) that it can work/doesn't work easily.

If anyone is able to offer me a step by step approach to getting it to work I would be forever in your debt!

I haven't logged in to play my characters [MAIN=Applestar] for about a month now, and I believe I'm still a paying subscriber.

So far I have tried installing the only version of EQ2 that is available on the "PlayOnLinux" Wine interface which is Everquest II Sentinel's Fate. Unfortunately, this doesn't work/is corrupt.

Would appreciate any help in the realm of possibility to return to the Lands of Norrath :D
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Look for the Lutris gaming platform (https://lutris.net/downloads/) in Zorin OS repositories. It's similar to PlayOnLinux. You need not less than 23 GB of an empty seat in folder /home of your distribution for installation of client of this game. Earlier I thought that PlayOnLinux can also help, but you wrote that it does not work. I see that you write, and it seems to me that the PlayOnLinux project does not pay attention for EQii for a long time. I play Wine of version 2.21 (Staging) on Debian. So I start the game from any place. But you will not be able to establish this version from repositories of the vast majority of GNU/Linux (including Zorin). Perhaps, is as well the version, other, compatible to this game, and in the third branch of Wine. But I tried newer versions - does not work. Lutris will have to find the version, compatible to this game. Perhaps someone from users of Lutris will read this branch. And too will prompt something.
    It's perhaps also that still more simply. Didn't you write the main thing - you installed in your Zorin proprietary drivers for your video adapter? It becomes one click of a mouse. On defaults of Zorin uses free drivers. To you for any games for Windows are desirable and even only proprietary drivers are necessary for a game. Put and then again try PlayOnLinux.
    Obi1 likes this.
  3. Obi1 New Member

Hello, thank you so much for your response!

I have an onboard graphics adaptor, so no separate dedicated card unfortunately. Will this make it easier?
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

If you have the game laptop, then yes. You watch system requirements of this game. Then compare the video card decree there to your (onboard) concerning productivity. Ed. : EQii does not demand much from the video card. And it strongly varies in settings of productivity. So I think on the majority not of really modern laptops it is possible to play comfortably
  5. Zotar New Member

I just installed EQ2 on Ubuntu 18.04 by running the installer. I have Wine Staging 3.18 installed. (AMD open source drivers).

It wasn't quite happy until it completed the full download though.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

AMD opened source codes? It hardly. If it's the driver from AMD that it anyway proprietary (they just don't speak to you in Ubuntu to make an impression that the system is free also all OK). Possibly your Ubuntu at once to you also thrust it. Also had to happen also in Zorin (it's actually the same Ubuntu). PlayOnLinux most likely means will not approach (though I very much would like that and through it the game went). The more alternative opportunities for start the better for all who is interested in alternative systems.
    Ed: Staging 3.18 is thanks a lot that was written here, we will note. Because I wanted to update the Wine long ago :)
  7. Obi1 New Member

Wow you were able to run the installer? LOL. No luck with me.
  8. Obi1 New Member

This is the furthest I got with Lutris:

0069:fixme:dwrite:get_name_record_locale failed to get locale name for lcid=0x00000455
    0069:fixme:dwrite:get_name_record_locale failed to get locale name for lcid=0x00000455
    wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000000 at address 0x1074cf90 (thread 0069), starting debugger...
    0069:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 104 420") (2)
    Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger

I get another panel with the daybreak logo but nothing happens, the installation is just stuck/spinning.

I may download and install Ubuntu instead and see if it makes a difference.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Do. But in accuracy the version specified by Zotar (if you want it there can be also Kubuntu if only 18.04). It found out that Wine Staging 3.18 allows to start the game. It probable that version which is offered in a repository for the last LTS now - system release. But council for bitter experience - don't update then your Wine on new if everything turns out. Not the fact that in the following version of Wine the game will also go..
    I see one more compatible version from the third branch here -
    https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=9400
  10. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

try to take an installer here https://lutris.net/games/everquest-ii/
  11. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

And you can return to Zorin after they release stable release for Zorin OS 15 (it's based on Ubuntu 18.04.2). Now you can use beta release https://zoringroup.com/blog/2019/03/20/and-the-next-version-of-zorin-os-is/
    However pay attention that Zotar plays on the AMD video adapter. And at you is in laptop AMD? Video adapters of Intel meet more often. So have patience if it does not turn out to start the game shortly. I have a laptop with the video adapter of Intel of the Cedar platform. Intel didn't release the driver for Linux to this video card (in the processor). And games for Windows by this machine cannot be used in Linux. For Linux - users of nVidia and ATI (not the latest models, not new) there is always an opportunity to play games for Windows without problems
    Obi1 likes this.
  12. Obi1 New Member

H
    Hi there :)

So I have some good news....and some well not so bad news I hope......!

So the good news is that: I decided to purchase Zorin OS Ultimate because I really liked the feel of the new operating system, and I wanted to experience a full OS, not just the basic one.

And guess what? After installing the Ultimate version, I installed Lutris and the Everquest II installation worked. The only hiccup was the Direct X installation which brought up an error message - but I suspect this is for really old computers.

The game launcher popped up - and I logged in and loaded the game once it had updated, and I got as far as the character selection screen.

THEN the game seemed to freeze. I mean it may have been loading, but nothing happened for 2 minutes, so I closed it.

Now everytime i try and launch the game, I get the following message:

The file /drive_c/users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest II/LaunchPad.exe could not be found

Lutris is behaving as if the directory doesn't exist. I checked it - everything is there, all the installation files and the LaunchPad.exe file is in the right place, but why can't it locate it?

:eek:
  13. Benj Well-Known Member

As the developer who originally wrote the PlayOnLinux script for Sentinel's Fate, let me apologize for not keeping it up to date. As you can probably guess, Sentinel's Fate was the newest expansion when I wrote that script. Much has changed in both Wine and EQ2. That script was probably out-dated 6 months after I wrote it, considering how quickly Wine and EQ2 update.

If you are feeling more adventurous, you could try using Wine directly. You can see how well it works and what others have tried by checking the Wine AppDB. I'm also the maintainer for the EQ2 there. Unfortunately, I haven't had a gaming-ready Linux machine in a long time. My work requires Windows and Mac already, so adding a third OS felt like a hassle. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
    Febrith and Obi1 like this.
  14. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

so, you gave them €19? "If you have purchased the Ultimate or Business edition of Zorin OS, you can get support directly from the team" https://zorinos.com/help/#zorin-premium-support
    Lutris is in their repository, therefore this question can be considered by technical support of Zorin's users. And I see at the forum Lutris (https://forums.lutris.net/) that to it there happen also some problems
    Yes
    Obi1 likes this.
  15. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

16. aabac New Member

Obi1, not sure if you've gotten it to work yet or not but if you haven't I'd like to throw out another option.

You could try Crossover from CodeWeavers. They have a 15 day free trial. EQ2 is in their list of working, and I can say that is personally works with crossover 17.x. Codeweavers feeds fixes into the wine project and they also were the company that steam worked with to bring proton to linux. The GUI is pretty straight forward and installs are normally pretty painless.

Not saying its the best tool for everything, I still use steam proton and lutris for certain games/programs when needed but Crossover is a nice tool to have when needed.

If you decide to go this route it askes for the install file location. There are a few options, steam included. I manually downloaded the eq2_setup.exe and just pointed crossover to use it and I had 0 issues installing.

Hope it all works out for you!
    Obi1 likes this.
  17. Benj Well-Known Member

18. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

19. Benj Well-Known Member

20. Obi1 New Member

Hi,

I decided to do a new install this morning using Lutris, just out of curiosity. I was feeling lucky [IMG]

and guess what? It worked!!

So looks like i'm in Everquest - I can load the game fully and enter the map. I moved around a bit on my horse, then I had to log off because I had to go to work.

I'm gonna have to reset my spellbar layout though because all my settings from windows have been reset - although I did save the layout files to my usb stick before uninstalling windows, but not sure if it can be transferred to Linux.

Thanks everyone!
    Benj likes this.