EQII Extended - Feedback and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Developer Roundtable' started by ARCHIVED-Kiara, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-789mkii Guest

SOE should do more welcome campaign like Living Leagcy for Liver server.
    Monthly customer is suitable for EQ2 contents as raid and Interpersonal relationship playing.

I think, F2P player is suitable for occasionally playing and game without so much growth.
    Because If the problem is an entrance, Liver server individually should do agrresive campaign as in the past.
  2. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

Deran@Everfrost wrote:
    I kinda agree.... SoE put the F2P to the customers on this forum. It was shot down big time. No game can operate without income. Choice is to raise monthly or go F2P when you aren't getting more subscribers. So, since peeps say no way, SoE went with a separate server.
    This is an old game. It will never see the days of high # of customers it once had. It will continue just as EQ has continued, but a lot less servers. Perhaps the next game in the EQ series will be a lot better and perhaps attract people. SoE will do what they plan on doing which is fine with me. Customers don't always think ahead. I guess if they knew then what they know now, they wouldn't have been so dead set against F2P. And instead of isolating two type of EQ2 games, it could have pulled together a community with a lot more characters around Norrath than there are now.
    Even WoW has seen decreasing numbers, although they still have a lot of servers with a high population, the number of Full servers has decreased and the number of medium servers has increased. With their total revamp of the Old World, it remains to be seen how much they can bring people back and how long they have the retention factor.
    Gaming technology is moving onwards while old games like WoW & EQ2 are kinda stuck in the past. It remains to be seen how these new engines will help make a big difference in play on games like GW2 and Rift as well as TOR.
    Have a good Thanksgiving where ever you are!
  3. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

Alvane@Unrest wrote:
    I don't see a games age here necessarily being the thing that means it must have a decreasing number of subscribers.

You quote "newer" games such as Rift or GW2, but at their heart they are still the same game as EQ1 just with a few new mechanics thrown in and different graphics. For that reason EQ2 shouldn't die really until something big and new can come along to replace it, right now I cannot imagine what that should be.

Even WoW has been in the doldrums because Mr Street made some bad decisions. At the time I thought he was just designing the game for "casual" gamers but for example he specifically said "I don't think threat is a fun thing for tanks to worry about" in 2008 before trivialising it, now he's saying its at the heart of the game. I think they lost more players then they aught to have over the past few years (other things he has seen that were wrong such as AOE heavy are being fixed, its certainly still a more cartoony game to me though then it used to be and other changes there are not to my liking).

What can kill EQ2 though would be its graphics falling behind, itemisation/mechanics no longer working or just a lack of new things to do.

I do actually wonder if they can update EQ2's look as part of the performance improvements, doing that while providing and refreshing the content already there could give this game a long life.

As for EQ2X, the problem would still be the RMT that funds it, SOE are not confident that adding F2P without RMT for powerful items would be a net increase in income. As I'm sure if it they were they'd implement F2P on Live servers straight away.

Since what goes on on EQ2X doesn't concern me I'm happy to ignore it, but Live is still lacking a viable plan to get new players into the game. I'd suggest getting EQ2 (and SOE games in general) back into the retail channels outside of the US would help a lot, and probably giving away for free all the content that people skip anyway would be a good endless trial, perhaps up to level 30 ish with payments to extend it further.
  4. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

MurFalad wrote:
    No, EQ2 won't die, any more than EQ or Meridian for that matter or even D&D pen & paper nor classic games like pac-man or scrabble or "Go Fish". I mentioned games that are in beta fixin' to be released in 2011 because of the differences in engines used and mechanics. It's no more different than EQ or WoW when they were launched vs MUD games.
    Gamers tend to move toward the latest in technology. That isn't to say the old game will die. Certainly not. But the numbers will no longer be there. In time, GW2, TOR, Rift and others will be where EQ is and EQ2/WoW is headed. Then the next generation of computer games will be on the surface.
    RMT is something that has worked for many games to draw income that is needed to keep games going. Whether or not you or I like it is a personal choice. I don't like nor dislike RMT. Personally if I enjoy a game and I need to purchase an item, I would put the same thought into it as I would going grocery shopping. Do I really need that sale item or shall I stick to my shopping list.
    I agree, it would be nice if graphics and performance can improve. I'm not a computer engineer so I have no idea what can be done or not done. I can, however, look at the older games. Yes, some have improved as much as they can in graphic/performance areas, but only to a certain degree without rewriting the entire engine that fuels the game. If that needs to be done, one might as well come out with a new game which is exactly what EQ2 did following EQ.
    Also, consider, EQ2 is just one of numerous games that SoE markets or is developing, including console, PC, card games and social gaming as in Facebook. And I wouldn't be surprised to see SoE also enter (if they haven't already) the phone app market with more games.
    As gaming technology changes, so, too, will people gravitate toward that.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tsunai Guest

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=445259&post_id=5461720 Please keep feedback, good or bad, respectful and constructive. There is no need for flaming, insults or racial slurs to articulate a point of view.
  6. ARCHIVED-Elifin Guest

Michayla@Najena wrote:
    It won't.
    We value your input.
    It is working as intended.
  7. ARCHIVED-Coffinsnake Guest

Hello,
    I am new to the forums and may be asking a redundant question but here goes...
    I have played the F2P everquest extended and loved the game so I went out and purchased "sentinal's fate Collector's edition" expecting that purchasing the game would allow me to use all the aspects of the game including other servers that were not quite so highly populated. I added my new game key to my account and got a screen telling me that a number of things were unlocked but still cannot access all the races and cannot access any other servers.
    I guess my question is : Is there a difference between the F2P "extended" game and the boxed game? and if so, how do I access the boxed version?

Thanks for any help?
  8. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

Coffinsnake wrote:
    I do believe since they are on separate servers and treated like separate games, you would need an account for EQ2x and a different or separate account for EQ2.
    By adding your EQ2 to your EQ2x account, it treated EQ2 like it was gold or platinum EQ2x membership ... not sure which.
  9. ARCHIVED-Coffinsnake Guest

Ha! ok, thanks for the reply, so I guess my next step is to re-purchase the boxed gmae and uninstall EQ2X, install the boxed edition and create a brand new account on SOE? Man, Kind of a pain.
    Thanks for the help!
  10. ARCHIVED-Elifin Guest

I don't know if I'd uninstall it and you won't need to buy another box. It is the same game more or less.
    It's more an account type thing.. I'm not quite sure what you have to do to change it but I'd be asking SoE how to go about it or maybe do a search on this forum.
    You might even be able to see it in account settings I would think it should be as simple as changing from EQX to EQ2. You will have to start a new toon though, you can't can't transfer the one you have on EQX to EQlive.
    I do hope some of that made sense, I'm typing this at work :/ I just didn't want you to uninstall the game ...
    Maybe send a dev a pm on here, I'm sure they'll get back to you quickly.
  11. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Coffinsnake wrote:
    By the sound of it, you have an EQ2x-only account currently. Is that right?
    Buying Sentinel's Fate does upgrade both EQ2x and EQ2 Live for your account I believe, but Live has a separate download/updater. Live also requires a credit card and monthly subscription. You should be able to see what is and isn't available on your acct info page (use the My Account link at the top of the page). Don't know if you'll still get the 30-day free trial of Live or if having EQ2x counts as a pre-existing subscription, should be able to tell that on the acct info page as well. Only other thing is to see if you have a separate launcher icon for EQ2 besides the one you use for EQ2x - there should be.
  12. ARCHIVED-Coffinsnake Guest

Thanks!
    It would work out great if I could just switch to a "Live" server and start a new toon.
    How do I "PM" a dev?
  13. ARCHIVED-Coffinsnake Guest

sorry didnt see this before last post. I do have only a "EQ2X" account currently. I am fine with the monthly subscription.
    I am at work right now but I will check for a different launcher tonight.
    thanks for the reply!
  14. ARCHIVED-Dreadpatch Guest

Now they can buy tokens on EQ2X that allow them to equip 5 fabled pieces for $2.50. They have officially given away the cow. I won't leave live because it's where my friends are, but if they weren't there I would play it as silver and just buy the tokens as needed. Bag slots are also now purchasable at silver. Now gold and plat packages are pretty much useless over there imho and this will have an even higher impact on the Live servers. I'm done really fighting about it, but talk about handing that EQ2X crowd everything. As a silver subcriber over there, I can basically pay 40 bucks and get everything I need to play a max level toon with fabled. It's pretty tempting.
  15. ARCHIVED-Westen Guest

Coffinsnake wrote:
    you can get the EQ2Live Download here: http://launch.soe.com/eq2/

Edit: i did not see how old that post was, sorry for the Necro.
    This Tread can probably be unstickied so it can die now.
  16. ARCHIVED-yellowbelly08 Guest

IF devs are reading...im about to propose an idea. A major gamble...but with the potential in my opinion to win the war....
    Make all Everquest 2 FULL free to play. Meaning for a one time full internet download you get EVERYTHING. All zones...all chat...all spells.....absolutely everything.
    Your thinking im crazy right about now but hear me out..... Consider Pegasus mounts....I have seen mant many players on live using them...they dont offer any competitive advantage (you could just quest a Griff instead) but they look so cool that many players have shown they dont mind spending a little extra cash on such an item. So if the playerbase increased exponentially due to the unbelieveable offer of the first first true all in AAA ftp (advertised.../hint...echo..) then such small purchases such as Pegasus mounts on marketplace would soon add up to profit. Such station cash items ofc HAVE to be non "pay to win" items, crucially. But also must be desirable, eg new house etc etc etc. None affect competitive gameplay but most are still desirable by enough players for the profit.
    Then the masterplan continues. It does so with EXPANSIONS. 2 per year. Packed with content. Paid for by the now massive population in 1 time fee download. (all previous expansions they already have due to the all in one free initial download). Guild Wars has shown this system can in fact be viable. So...with now massive playerbase you make your money thru non "pay to win" station cash items...and expansions.
    Of course loyal long term live subscribers would need some compensation in the form of major veteran rewards. However such players would be rewarded by a higher playerbase and indeed their own reduction in cost. I dont think the complaints would be that major. Open up new servers due to influx.....
    EA/Blizzard would get an almighty shock..
    Win the war...
  17. ARCHIVED-wheelwinner.com Guest

I think Sony should charge a monthly fee as they do now, but only to acccess the latest expansion. All previous expansions should be free. That way a lot of new people will play. I think many of the regular players will continue to pay for access to get the new stuff and will also benefit from the all the newbies to join the guild and make it more lively. In addition, once someone gets a high level toon, they might decide to start paying a membership fee to get the newest stuff.
  18. ARCHIVED-Morgania434 Guest

I came here as a GM directed me to, in order to ASK the Devs to PLEASE, pretty please let the Nights of the dead recipes act as all other holiday recipes and let us craft more than 10 items before they go POOF !!!
    I need more vampire mirrors to craft haha!
    Morgie,
    Proud leader of Covenant of the Phoenix, Freeport Server.
    Level 62 guild hall in Gorowyn.
  19. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

Morgania434 wrote:
    Wouldn't this be better in live events/quests forum, tradeskill forum or even items & equipment forums rather than buried at the bottom of the Eq2x thread that has absolutely nothing to do with NoTD crafting?
  20. ARCHIVED-Arcturys Guest

Finora@Everfrost wrote:
    Morgania434 wrote: