EQ2 crashing

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Player2, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Player2 Member

anybody else have the "G:\live\eq2\framework" crash resurface ?

it's back with a vengeance for me

holy c**p, there are 98 instances of G:\live\eq2\framework buried in Everquest2.exe and one in EQ2Setting.exe

you guys don't have the source code to the Obj files, or what ?
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

That G: drive isn't real, the message has to do with where the source code was compiled.

First, try shutting down your whole computer and rebooting. Next, start the Launchpad and click the Advanced Tools button (crossed hammer and wrench icon) and ask it to validate your files. Does that help?

If that doesn't fix it, we really need the whole error message. What exactly were you doing when the crash occurred? Where were you? These things all help in diagnosing the problem.
  3. Player2 Member

i've done all that... got my CS degree in 92. fluent in asm, c, c++, and disassembling microsoft internals [and diablo ii, lol] ... and i'm more than a bit rusty with unity & cl/cuda code, but both dev envs are still on my drive.
    i'm averaging 5+ hard resets before I can run. i'm guessing they're crashing the video card which is why it's not being caught. this message is just the 100th+ time it's crashed, but this time i got an error message. it'll be another hundred before I see it again, i'm sure.
    somebody at SOE hard coded an environment specific dll access, actually, there are 98 instances of that string STILL in the EQ2 exe

does DBG have a github account ? i really dont' want to step through code without a symbol file...

yeah, i'm talking smack
  4. Player2 Member

i probably should have put a smiley after that last sentence,
    and i'm so vain... i think i inspired dunning and kruger to define the effect ;)

shaders, particle systems, physics ...

**i was going to it's say ALL rusty, but i think it me that's getting rusty.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Yeah, and when I started working as a programmer, we were still using Hollerith cards and JCL stacks. It doesn't indicate that you know anything about diagnosing an end-user problem, /shrug

You might want to note that the TOS states that they explicitly don't want people mucking about in their code: "You may not disassemble, reverse engineer, or modify any Daybreak Game(s) software in any way. You may not decrypt or modify any data transmitted between the game software and Daybreak’s game servers."

If the simple fixes don't do it, then the next step is to open a Support Ticket. Neither the CSRs nor the player community can possibly help you without more data about what, exactly is happening. Otherwise, anyone trying to debug the issue is just going to be thrashing aimlessly.

Also, knowing something about your computer specs, OS version and service pack is helpful. Hit the Windows Start button, in the Run box type dxdiag and hit enter to run the DirectX diagnostics tool, then click Save Information and tell it to save the file somewhere you can find it. We don't want your whole dxdiag.txt file, just the parts shown below (note that I've deleted chunks out of these sections as well):

System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1(7601.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.181228-0954)
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 7284MB used, 9092MB available
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1077 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.850.0.0
    Driver Date/Size: 4/20/2011 02:07:48, 795648 bytes

Sans specifics, some things to check:

(1) Is your video driver up to date? The dxdiag data will tell you specifically what you have, Google the card name, or go to the manufacturer's website and look for their driver download page and double-check that you are up to date

(2) Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed? (You need that specific version, regardless of whatever higher versions you may already have.)

(3) If you're crashing from the Launchpad, you can look in ...\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest II\LaunchPad.libs\Logs and maybe find clues. Another possible source for clues is to look in ...\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest II\.DownloadError.txt

(4) Are you using a custom UI? If so, what?
  6. Svenone Well-Known Member

The G: *is* real, but it refers to a G: drive at DBG where they have the source code. Even if you do have a G: drive on your own computer, this error message has nothing whatsoever to do with *your* G: drive. Since these errors seem to often refer to DirectX, I would also make sure that your computer has DirectX 9.0c installed. Yes, 9.0c, even if you already have a newer version already. The different versions coexist quite peacefully. EQ2 requires that specific version, so having a newer version (10, 11, 12,....) will not help in this case.
  7. Player2 Member

Thanks Svenone, I shouldn't need it since i was running fine before, but they 'could' have reintroduced the old dx9 bug. anyway, i've already installed dx9.0c to the .exe directory without fixing the crash

thanks, i've already checked all the boiler plate and opened a support ticket.

they've had the G:\live\eq2 problem for over/close to a decade in one form or another

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/g-drive-live-error.560513/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...devices-directx9renderdevice-cpp-6302.525633/

I load in, but usually do a hard reset before I ever see that warning message.
    Just mentioned it because it's the first time the OS survived long enough to post one. usually even the CPU can't tell windows to blue screen