Easter Egg: Flotsam and Jetsam

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-rifter2, Jan 1, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Synious Guest

Flotsam and Jetsam were also named rats in Dagnors cauldron in EQ1.
  2. ARCHIVED-Nedhaen Guest

There is a chapter in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings Trilogy (the books, read the books!) called Flotsam and Jetsam and discusses events after the ents flooded Saruman's tower.
  3. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

I suppose the references do go back a lot longer than any of us has been alive... I found the following through Google:
    "Even though they became popular as metaphors among landlubbers, "flotsam" and 'jetsam" were both originally nautical terms. "Flotsam" (from the Anglo-French "floteson," in turn from the Old French "floter," to float) is, strictly speaking, the wreckage of a ship (or its cargo) found floating on the surface of the sea. More generally, "flotsam" can be used for any sort of floating debris. "Flotsam" is presumed to be of accidental origin.
    "Jetsam," however, is deliberate (if often not entirely voluntary) in origin. "Jetsam" is actually a form of the word "jettison," and originally referred to cargo or other goods thrown overboard to lighten a vessel in distress. (Of course, if that didn't work, the whole shebang often became "flotsam.") The current "sam" ending of "jetsam" was almost certainly modeled on "flotsam." "Flotsam" dates to the 17th century, "jetsam" to the 16th (in the intermediate form “jetson”), and the distinction between the two has historically been important in maritime salvage law."
  4. ARCHIVED-ShashLigai Guest

I thought Jetsom was that guy in the spaceship on saturday morning cartoons. you know, george jetsom :smileywink:
  5. ARCHIVED-Zmobie Guest

"I'm not 100% sure, but I think 'Flotsam and Jetsam' is a chapter title in Moby [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]."

Best. Haxx0red. Evar.

--Tusk, snickering
  6. ARCHIVED-Xakkoriz Guest

Those are Kerra not Iksar .... and its obvious they are Kerra too lol.
  7. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

Well all you lesser races look the same to me. So. = p
  8. ARCHIVED-Ace235228 Guest

Eddie the Zombie? Best. Reference. Ever.
  9. ARCHIVED-Stain Guest

as long as there isnt one named

Kam Getsam