Easter Egg: Flotsam and Jetsam

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-rifter2, Jan 1, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

If you've ever seen "The little mermaid" by Disney... Flotsam and Jetsam were the two evil eels...
    It looks like the eels evolved and grew legs and became lizards...

[IMG]

Message Edited by rifter2 on 01-01-2006 08:51 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Ragman Guest

There's also an old metal band that went by that name.
  3. ARCHIVED-EyeForgot Guest

Yep. Was Jason Newstead's band before he joined Metallica FYI. Great band + Jason wrote all the songs for them according to the liners on the tapes.
  4. ARCHIVED-Eblis Guest

I've seen some other subtle 'metal' references around Norrath.
    Ill post some screenshots when i get a chance.

...and yes Flotsam and Jetsam rocked.
    Message Edited by Eblis on 01-06-200605:11 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-rifter2 Guest

In EQ1 there was a bard named Vhalen. Bard. Singer. V. Halen. Don't know if anybody noticed that before. And if you talked to him he talks about this OTHER bard called Metala. Mettalica? There were 2 barbarians in the Karanas named Lars and Ulrich. Lars Ulrich was the drummer for Metallica. Anyhow probably that's all coincidence.
    Anyhow Vhalen designed the tower of Vhalen which is in Antonica now, in EQ2. If you do the Bootstrutter's Guide to Antonica you get this story about the tower:
    The Bells of Vhalen: This was a region-wide signal device designed by a legendary bard named Vhalen. The tower was destroyed during the War of Plagues when Vhalen used it to not only warn the entire region of invasion but played some of the largest bard spells ever composed. Here he fell to a horde, hands still tugging at the bells to the end.
    It's a huge speaker. He was playing his music too loud on the huge speaker and the orcs killed him, poor guy.
  6. ARCHIVED-Eblis Guest

I remember those 2 Barbarians now that you mention it.
    I dont think its coincidence at all, however if we start seeing NPCs with the guys names from the band 'Manowar' we are in trouble. :)
    /grin
  7. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

Flotsam and Jetsam were actually two named rats in Dagnor's Cauldron in EQ1. Kind of made sense there, "flotsam and jetsam" meaning the odds and ends that float in the water after a ship sinks. Strange that they're now lizards...!
    As someone recently pointed out to me, the entire Court of Al'Afaz instance (Shimmering Citadel raidx4) is based on the King Crimson album "Court of the Crimson King". It's an entire zone of an easter egg!
  8. ARCHIVED-Eblis Guest

An entire raid zone based on one of the greatest albums ever written is something I'd love to see, however since i dont really raid I probably wont. :(
  9. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

Actually you can zone in on your own and wander around -- most of the mobs are non-aggro, though not all of the album tie-ins will spawn until you engage an encounter. Just choose the Court of Al'Afaz option from the SC mirror by Lady Naga. :)
    It's mainly just the mob names, rather than a whole theme, but it's still pretty cool.
    Disclaimer: you may want to take of armour, in case there are aggro mobs I've forgotten about... :p
  10. ARCHIVED-Eblis Guest

Where exactly is this zone? :)
  11. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

It's a raidx4 instance of Shimmering Citadel. Find the regular zone-in mirror next to Lady Naga in Pillar of Flames and choose Court of Al'Afaz instance. Voila :)
    On a side note, I had forgotten the Prismatic Captain is probably in your way for much of the zone. But heck, if you're not worried about the lockout timer or a little xp debt, just strip and run around and see what you can find. :)
  12. ARCHIVED-Eblis Guest

Great!
    Thanks for the info.
  13. ARCHIVED-Gaardiyen Guest

Flotsam and Jetsam still rocks. As of right now, they've released 9 studio albums and are still going strong. Newsted only appeared on the first one.
  14. ARCHIVED-Vicenzo Guest

I'm not 100% sure, but I think 'Flotsam and Jetsam' is a chapter title in Moby [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn].
  15. ARCHIVED-ElnAckom Guest

I don't mean to be "that guy," but all of the above terms are actually real words. Remember, these are Seafury Buccaneers we're talking about, so it's small wonder that the two bouncers are named...

Flotsam - n. 1. Wreckage or cargo that remains afloat after a ship has sunk. 2. Floating refuse or debris.

...and...

Jetsam - n. 1. Cargo or equipment thrown overboard to lighten a ship in distress. 2. Discarded cargo washed up on shore.

Early maritime law required keen officers to be able to differentiate between these two varied types of sea-going garbage, which were governed by different statues, as one was the result of accident and one was intentionally thrown overboard. The sharks, the band, pretty much every reference included in the thread - a fascinating exploration, by the way - are results of clever uses of these two actual maritime terms.

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle. /happyNBCsound
  16. ARCHIVED-DoomKat Guest

Umm... lizards? With fur? Furr-o-sauruses? :D Look like two Kerran males to me... ^^
  17. ARCHIVED-Luciifer Luchador Guest

You know what would be cool.. a zombie named Eddie like from ironmaiden :D
  18. ARCHIVED-Eblis Guest

Its okay to be 'that guy' ;)
    ...And even though I know the definition of 'Flotsam and Jetsam' it would be cooler if they actually were named after the metal band.

:)
  19. ARCHIVED-Eblis Guest

What i've heard after 'when the storm comes down' didnt really impress me so i kinda stopped listening to them.
    Maybe i should give them another chance :)
  20. ARCHIVED-FreaklyCreak Guest

Back about 3-4 years ago I played an MMOG called NeoPets. Two of the "Pets" you could have we're flotsam and jetsam. =) Just an other relation that isn't following the same musical path as yours.
    Also, thanks for the vhalen info! It's very interesting!