Dual Wield, 1 hand w/Shield, or 2 hand

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Bulbnoz, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Bulbnoz Guest

I noticed that this has been asked before but I couldn't find any recent postings regarding this and was curious if things had changed. What is the best set up for a zerker? Dual wield, 1 hand and shield, or a 2 hander? I've been using 2 hander this whole time (i'm 27 now).
  2. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

1 hand + Buckler. But to really capitalize on it you need to invest points into the STA line of Achievements.

STA 4-4-8-8 to be exact.
  3. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

even with some of the best gear available to me, dual wield and 2 handed still doesn't hold a candle to buckler/1handed.
  4. ARCHIVED-Bulbnoz Guest

Thanks for the info guys.
  5. ARCHIVED-Halato Guest

When you guys say "1 handed and a buckler," are you being literal, or can we use kite shields and larger with shield reversal?
  6. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Literal. With the STA tree, your only shield option becomes a buckler, or you lose the benefits of the entire STA tree.
  7. ARCHIVED-khameleon Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    This drives me crazy! ...the lore rationale is sound, A tower shield is just much to heavy to effectively wield as a weapon....but come on, at least let us use the Round shield which has stats more appropriate to a zerk !
  8. ARCHIVED-Krazaak Guest

From a purely DPS point of view, I've found that Dual Wield was the best route. I've got enough survivability to tank any of the RoK instances and my guild doesn't need me to OT on raids. In the event I do end up tanking, I macro in a tower shield and Adrenaline and I can usually survive until the MT or OT is back up.

Now, 1H + Buckler is clearly the best combination of DPS + survivability, but am I missing something as far as DW being the best single target DPS?

WIS: 4-4-8-8-1
    INT: 4-5-8-8-1
    STR: 4-4-8

Wielding Battleaxe of Venom and Nox Noctis.

I realize the Nox Noctis is fast, but since most of the CAs cast in under 1 second, I don't feel like I'm losing melee DPS unless I use an AE, which I just avoid. I bagged the Fabled Epic for the Battleaxe because DPS seemed higher in the limited testing I did. The 5 DA, 7 DPS and superior damage rating on the Nox Noctis seemed to outweigh the low delay.

Opinions?
  9. ARCHIVED-Nembutal Guest

From purely a DPS standpoint dual wield might be the best by a small margin... if you have very high dbl attack where the STA spec might make some of yoru dbl attack to go past 100% then dual wield would start to shine even more.

But if you get the RIGHT buckler like Harbinger of Malcontent... it helps compensate... and you get the survivability.

Ironically with my toon when I want to do max DPS I have to put on some defensive gear... something I want you to stop and think about.

I have the Mythical... I am a master of AoE combat... you ever tank large amounts of mobs? The key is living... you WILL have aggro in these cases on MOST of the mobs... so you have to be able to mitigate and avoid it.
  10. ARCHIVED-Zhonata Guest

Skoshi@Guk wrote:
    /agree
    Unlike scouts we dont have deaggro parsing 6-7k = Gank on MT alot and if you are duel wielding you splat, heck you splat a lot with buckler. This is just for single target mobs start factoring in our AOE dps and if you are going to be tanking something whether you like it or not.
  11. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

plus, i have never seen much more than 5% gains while dual wielding, yet you give up so much survivability it's not even funny. i may test it on occasion when i have about 160% double attack with my buckler equipped because i hate to see it go to waste but honestly, if you want to dual wield, roll a freaking scout.. as i sit, i need 75%+ double attack WHILE dual wielding to surpass the DPS of a buckler and 1 hander, of course gear does factor into the equation but only so much, so if you got that and more, go for it but i seriously doubt you will be pushing those numbers anytime soon.
  12. ARCHIVED-Slayer505 Guest

Zhon@Lucan DLere wrote:
    lol That's why I love being MT. I was OT back through EoF and I used to HATE holding back on my DPS so I didn't rip aggro. As MT I can just go to town! In fact, that's the best way to hold aggro. It's not hard to hold aggro on a tier 1 DPS class that's doing close to 10k DPS when I'm doing 6-7k on the same mob with capped hate gain and a transfer from my coercer who is also doing 6k+.
  13. ARCHIVED-Krazaak Guest

I suppose I'll have to give 1H+Buckler another chance now that I picked up Virtue's Guard, but I think the gear difference between me and top end Berserkers is making DW seem more attractive for me.

If I take the STA line, I lose either WIS +DPS/Mit/Stance Mastery or INT +Haste/Parry/Reuse Speed. My guild's raid force is far from optimal, so I am rarely, if ever capped in DPS or Haste and never capped in Crit or DA. I have a tower shield macro'd to Body Check, which is the first thing I hit if I pull aggro.

For me, pro's of DW are the following, assuming two equal quality weapons:

75% more autoattack damage from Dual Wield (actually more for me, since my offhand has a higher damage rating)
    Benefit of either INT or WIS line, one of which I'd have to give up for STA
    Higher overall mitigation and avoidance at the push of a button (may not still be the case since I got VG)
    DA over 40% isn't wasted

Cons of course are that until I get my shield macro'd in, I'm gonna get clobbered.

1H+Buckler:
    60% more autoattack damage from DA (potentially less, since with bard/illu, I will be over 100%)
    Higher riposte damage when tanking and additional damage from buckler reversal (good for groups, but I rarely tank on raids)
    Always ready to tank

Now, I realize I'm raiding my Berserker like a scout, but my guild is far from hardcore and I regularly parse 1st or 2nd. I'm sure I could DPS more as a scout, but I also wouldn't have the option of macroing in my tower shield and popping adrenaline when the MT drops.
  14. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Uwopo@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    50%, not 75%, assuming two equal weapons. Your delay on your weapons when dual wielding is increased by 33% (ie, a 3 delay weapon becomes 4 delay, a 4 delay weapon becomes 5.33 delay), which reduces each weapon's effectiveness by 25%. However, two 75% effective weapons equals 50% gain over single wield.
  15. ARCHIVED-Krazaak Guest

Yeah, my bad, 50%. I think I had one of those math moments.

I respec'd last night and dumped the WIS line in favor of STA. I haven't done enough testing to really compare DPS to dual wield, but I definitely miss Stance Mastery and the ~17 DPS from the WIS line. I'm tempted to ditch INT, because so little of my DPS comes CAs anyway that I don't think I'll miss the reuse decrease as much.

I'm thinking I might respec to:

STR 4-4-8
    STA 4-4-8-5
    WIS 4-4-8
    INT 4-4-8

In order to maximize my DPS. In my current build, even with the VG and full STA line, I don't have as much mitigation and avoidance as I did when I was macroing in my Penitent Greatshield. Instance tanking was never an issue even with offensive stance and dual wield though, so if I can muster more DPS out of 1H+buckler while gaining the extra avoidance over DW, it can only help. I'm still going to need to switch stances on raids if I pull aggro and my overall mitigation and avoidance will be significantly lower than it was with the Penitent Greatshield and the mitigation and parry from INT and WIS lines. If I can pick up a Harbinger of Malcontent, that will help offset some of the combat mods and damage I lost by switching out my Nox Noctis for a shield.
  16. ARCHIVED-Zhonata Guest

In terms of DPS I have tested both lines up and while I hate math so forget seeing any percentages, I can tell you this. If you are Duel wielding you are are getting as stated the 33% delay reduction on your Off Hand which mean your timing on your weapon is going to be off and issue considering that Timing our AA is crucial. Running the Buckler Line you Hit 2 times on the same Delay for around the same amount of DMG. The only reason to choose Duel Wield over the Buckler Line is For procs rate which if you have a dirge or templar should not be and issue, outside of this the dmg diffrence is minimal, In fact in my test I did less overall dmg. On top of this the DA and Melee Crit is up to a 100% chance to hit a Con mob. That percent chance is reduced as you go over your level I.E. I am pretty much always well over 100% DA/Crit and only DA and Crit 86-92% of the time. There are people that are pushing 140+ DA/Crit and still do not hit DA/Crit 100% of the time so there is a point in going over 100%.
    I dont have the Penitent Greatshield but I do have the Arcane Great Wall, Same Protection. With Virtue's Guard equiped I have 45.3% Avoidance in DPS gear and O-stance with Arcane Greatwall I have 42.9% Avoidance. THe reason for this is Gladiator's Revenge +8% chance to reposite there are only a couple shields like "Shield of the Green Dragon" and Shields from VP that willl give you Slighlty more avoidance at A huge hit to your DPS. As far as losing the DPS and mitigation from the Wisdom Line, Avoidance is King that mitigation is a drop in the bucket and Buckler Reversal Does far more overall dmg than 19 DPS boost, Put on the strength ring if you need dps. The end line abilty for Wisdom is nice but it isnt worth the loss in DPS/ Aggro from the STR,STA,INT line. I am able to Off tank Mobs in VP in Offensive stance without it so Like I said its nice, but not worth it IMO. The INT line gives more than just haste its give a couple things like Casting Speed, Recovery Speed, and Reuse Speed Reduction via Acceleration Strike/ Relentless Assault and +19 Parry *Avoidance is King*.
    You Said that you dont play a scout because you like the option to OT if the MT goes down. I parse in the Top 3-4 in raid with a Ranger, Assasin, and Monk against single target mobs. If you really want to be able to OT if the tank goes down you are only hurting yourself by duelwielding. You arent going to do as much dmg, you arent going to have as much avoidance, and you arent going to be able to hold aggro with a tower shield equiped. Finally, no matter how you roll the Dice Zerkers Dmg is directly tied to our Grp buffs we see far more benifit from them vs. Scouts if you want to do dmg and OT you needs to have a well built grp. Hope This helps :)
    Current Spec
    Str - 4-4-8
    Sta - 4 -4-8-8-1
    Int- 4-5-8-8-1
  17. ARCHIVED-Airborne101 Guest

Lyger@Mistmoore wrote:
    Stopped reading this thread halfway through.. but.. dual wielding IS effective. It is dependent on gear, the right buffs, and MOST important, the right weapons.. but it is very very viable.
    First off I'm the standard buckler zerker AA specs.. so don't even bother switching that. I tried dual wielding my mythical and the blade from druushk.. and honestly it blew. My dps stayed the same and some fights it was much lower. But when I got the hammer of swirling energies off of Travern... man that weapon can hit. (NOTICE both my weapons are 3.5sec delay)
    If in any given group I can get my DA to 40-50.. then my dps goes from (avg in VP) lowest 4k and highest 5500... to a lowest 5k and high 5800. NOW that's already an improvement that says DW does work.. but then if you add in ANY extra DA its all coasting from there. One night I was running with 64 DA and I was doing a lowest 5200, average 6k, with semi frequent spikes to 7k/7.2k.
    Best part about it is on my worst parses I'm seeing the numbers I struggled to get with buckler. Keep in mind there will be fights where you'll need the buckler so I suggest NOT changing your spec. I've tanked SoH first 4 nameds and trash, all of PR, all of Korsha including OK, Ekron and all trash in VP with DW.. but obviously you'll need buckler for fights like Druushk and Nexona.
  18. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

i've hit over 8k single target in soh, 12k on multiples in TnT, all with buckler/1h. the difference you get from maxxing dual wield, still just doesn't show me any shining light on why it's worth the effort to even bother.
  19. ARCHIVED-Zhonata Guest

Lyger@Mistmoore wrote:
    /agree
    I can Auto attack for low 4k in raid.....
  20. ARCHIVED-Airborne101 Guest

Lyger@Mistmoore wrote:
    yeah but SoH and TnT(which I don't even do anymore) are easy hit rate zones.. not terribly hard to get numbers like that. Either way you don't have to like it.. I just like that I went from being a few hundred dps over our guard, to close to 2k over most of the time while OTing.
    I like it.. and with adrenaline I never have to worry about tossing a shield on when I pull aggro real quick, so it feels like a good thing for this class.