Dual Wield, 1 hand w/Shield, or 2 hand

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-Bulbnoz, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

i was just using it as an example because of the hit rates, our auto attack is weakened on higher conning mobs, which will effect dual wielding as much if not more than our buckler spec.
    i never said i don't like it but it's meh, the difference in dps for the huge loss to survivability just makes zerks look like fools who wear plate and trying to imitate a real dps class.
    i like to play around with different things too like the choker and end strength ability but it's never a long term thing because at the end of the day i still have to remember i'm a tank and if i die then i'll have a handful of unhappy people asking me wth i was doing. i'm not saying it doesn't work, i'm just saying its a bad suggestion for anyone who bothers to ask the question in the first place.
  2. ARCHIVED-Airborne101 Guest

If you die even while dw then you either put it on during too hard of a fight(know your mobs!!), you were already in the red, or your healers suck.
    My healers have said that its almost 0 change compared to me tanking in the harbinger.. and adrenaline makes it even better. Either way if you don't like it.. play the way you do like. Some people can make some specs shine where others could only dream. I think you do alot better than I do with buckler.. and it looks like I might be doing a little better than you do with DW. Just have fun man.
  3. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

but i'm not talking about us, i'm answering in regard to new zerkers(who started this thread) who probably won't be having the best healers or the best fabled endgame gear, duel wield is something you have to work into, not start out with. yes, we start out dual wielding but its hardly optimal after you start getting AAs to put into stamina, then it is only optimal if you can self buff 75% or more double attack while dual wielding while having haste and dps mods capped.
  4. ARCHIVED-Airborne101 Guest

Fair enough.. I'll admit I only jumped in to make sure they knew that it didn't need to be completely ruled out forever. It CAN be very viable.. but if you can't get into VP and get the only 2 real weapons that match up with our mythical.. don't even bother with it at all.
  5. ARCHIVED-Slayer505 Guest

Airbornee@Crushbone wrote:
    Just out of curiosity since dual wielding would not really be an option for me... which weapons are you referring to? I'm guessing Hammer of Swirling Constellations and what.... Ekron's Blade? Those are the only two with 3.0 delay that I can see.
  6. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

i doubt you would want to give up the crit and procs from our mythical, a secondary 3.0 delay weapon would match the dragons tempers 4.0 delay after its speed reduction in the offhand to time CAs(if you even are).
    one thing i noticed while dual wielding is if your weapons speeds are slightly off then spamming your CAs will only hurt your DPS, even if you have them matched you can't go overboard with them because their timing apart is almost never 100% equal.
  7. ARCHIVED-Slayer505 Guest

Hmm.. I thought dual wielding slowed the delay on both weapons. It only slows the main hand? If so then yea, I guess a 4.0 delay would be what you want. But yeah, there's not any weapon in the game right now that I'd swap out my Mythical for.
  8. ARCHIVED-Airborne101 Guest

Yeah I was referring to Ekron's Blade and the Hammer of Swirling Constellations.
    I use my Dragon's Temper in the mainhand with my Hammer of Swirling Constellations in offhand. When hasted, etc, BOTH my weapons hit at the exact same time, which is either 2.2 or 1.8 seconds or something. Not sure entirely what you're going on about Lyger, tbh its a tad confusing. I'm not sure if you're saying that our mythical has a 4.0 second speed and so a reduced speed 3.0 second weapon will then match it, or... if its a typo or what..?
    Yes you have to time your CA's rather than spam them.. but I find a simple spam 2 CA's, pause, rinse repeat, works very well.
  9. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

If you really want to see the difference, parse them on the training wall.

My guild guardian did just that, and between wielding his mythical + whatever weapon in a dual wield spec, and mythical in a buckler spec, the difference was negligible enough to not be worth mentioning. You might have a slight edge against buckler spec with dual wielding, especially with higher +Double Attack, but you sacrifice a lot of survivability to do so.
  10. ARCHIVED-Airborne101 Guest

Well yeah self buffed its a very very small improvement.. I'm at 19% DA self, 26% with pot and temporary adorn. It still PWNS when my jewel of animosity procs, but you can't rely on that to be consistant.
    But.. it shines extremely well even if you're just in a group with a bard.. the 10% added DA goes a long way. Add onto that either another bard(rare but has happened) or a mystic's temp proc, and it goes up even further. In my case I have a dirge and a mystic.. so generally I roll with 55-60% DA up for a good portion of the time.. with spikes to over 80% DA when procs go off.
    In the rare case I get a dirge, mystic, and an illus(the 10% groupwide from mythical)... my dps soars.
    You do lose survivability... but you're all making it out to more than it really is. If by survivability you mean do I get hit more? then yes I lost some. But if you mean do I die now? No.. I haven't died once while DW unless I do something stupid that I deserved to die. I had lengthy conversations with my healers and they have told me that its not hard at all to heal me while I'm DWing.. in fact they like it because normally they fall asleep because its so boring.
    Its okay I don't need to convince you all of the greatness of DW... I'll keep it for myself and enjoy the parses.
    Peace out. -Airbornee
  11. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

nm, i guess i just never paid attention to the changes after they were screwing with the offhand penalty only.
  12. ARCHIVED-victer Guest

To set it straight yes both weapons get affected when you DW.
    Both your weapons must be same delay to be the most effective with timeing your CA's.
    If you use 2 same delay weapons and have over 60% DA you WILL parse substantially better.
    But if you cant get to 60%+ DA with DWing (pretty much impossible without Illutionist) then dont bother. The survivability hit you take doesnt make up for it.
  13. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

the % of DA adjusts to each person, harbinger of malcontent could be viewed as a dual wield weapon. for me i need about 75%+, which doesn't happen very often, otherwise my DPS is less in dual wield than it is in buckler.
  14. ARCHIVED-Airborne101 Guest

aye.. 26% I break even(solo)... anything from 35% on up the bonus just keeps increasing respectively.
  15. ARCHIVED-LygerT Guest

pay attention to your stats in raid and make a macro to swap in and out your offhand and buckler which your DA is at its max with your mini parser window open, you should find your peak in DA when it starts to drop off and your average starts to come down. it's not exact but you will get a feel for right around where your breaking point is after half a dozen fights.