Dragon Bones, Necromancy, and Bertoxxulous

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Mikegonz, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Mikegonz New Member

So I saw the discussion going on with the Elements of Fear and Sirens Grotto, but I just wanted to point out one thing I noticed.

With all of dragon bones raising the dead in the Cobalt Scar, the Dragon Necropolis at Wurmbone's End/Crag, and the mysterious rat-men race of the Ashlok, I thought it was interesting to point out the possible ties with Bertoxxulous.

Incase people haven't yet read, the The Necropolis of Lxanvon Vol. I-II (<--clicky) talks about a race of people who brought Bertoxxulous somehow into this world by building their city with decaying dragon bones. There is a note at the end that mentions Bertoxxulous takes the form of this race most often when visiting Lxanvom. Another reference to the Xulous is in Rememberences - Berrox.

While Bertoxxulous has appeared in many forms, in EQ2 thus far, his avatar has appeared as the image below:

[IMG]

Just wanted to point this reference out, especially with the fact that we have dragon bones with the effects of necromancy going about.
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

The Xulous are the four armed guys in the Void army. An undead dragon named Zlandacar has been experimenting on dragon corpses for centuries in the Dragon Necropolis, which was located in the recently destroyed Western Wastes. The quest where we purify it says whatever killed the dragon was a horrible necrotic weapon. That kinda leads me to believe that this was a recently alive dragon that was killed via necromancy rather than one of Zlandacar's experiments. However, that doesn't mean that Zlandacar wasn't involved. Hundreds of years of study and experimenting could mean he joined the Awakened and is using that knowledge to kill the Claws, or even that he took offense at his home being destroyed and rose up to strike down the Awakened responsible for it.
  3. Mikegonz New Member

Where did you read about the Xulous being the four armed guys in the Void army? Pic by chance?

I thought the Xulous were left ambiguous for now for a number of reasons. First, their connection to Bertoxxulous, as well as their crypt existing in the Plane of Disease. Also, the fact that Xul'Varien has that "Xul" part also in his name. From what I've seen, in the present lore of the Rememberances - Berrox, an obelisk simply appeared in their city, but didn't absorb it. Bertoxxulous did.
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ugh. That's me mixing up Jal'rath and Xulous. Jal'rath are the 4 armed guys. From Rememberances - Berrox there is reason to believe that the races affected there became the Nightbloods.
  5. Mikegonz New Member

I still don't think the nightbloods are necessarily the Xulous. Nightbloods drop different "Rememberances" books, including the Norrath one. The current lore only states definitely that Bertoxxulous pulled Lxanvom to his plane, and that some o the Xulous population entered into the Obelisk when it was near their city. I'd love to hear more about their history though, as well as Bertoxxulous, Xul'Varien, and all of that jazz.

I'm excited to see how they end up appearing in the original Everquest in their upcoming expansion!
  6. Mixxit Active Member

7. Mixxit Active Member

8. Meirril Well-Known Member

It really depends on how much weight you want to put behind each book. The Remembrance line of books all come from the Obelisk of Lost Souls and appear to be recordings of what took place on other worlds. They lead us to believe that you can see the origin of Bertoxulous and Rodcet Nife as mortal doctors on another world. One of them spreading the Xulous plague and the other being discredited but fighting against it.

The other book tells the tale of Bertoxulous rising from an ancient tomb made from dragon bones and filled with diseased people with a high priest luring a desperate ruler into the ancestor's tombs. While this one sounds more dramatic... it actually doesn't fit with Norrath's lore either. If this indeed is how it happened, it probably happened on another world. Dragon's aren't native to Norrath. Rather Veeshan flies around the galaxy planting dragons where she sees fit. Considering that the race is suppose to be Dragons slayers...we really should be more aware of them if they were hunting dragons since according to Norrath's lore the major forces to slay dragons were the Giants of Velious and the Iksar. Both of these forces didn't slaughter dragons in such great numbers to make cities out of their bones. Rather it was considered a major achievement to kill any of the older dragons, which always came at a great cost.
  9. Mixxit Active Member

i'm going to stick with my opinion that the dr oculous and nife stuff are from a different timeline where all the chess pieces are positioned differently
  10. Mikegonz New Member

I think so too. Either that or a different world where their believers brought it here.

I have to argue with this, since the Necropolis of Lxanvom books themselves state from the get-go that they were from a "Norrathian age long past." It's quite possible that they both came here from Prime (ties in to Remembering Rodcet Nife), and that they may have been come here from different worlds. The Xulous could have been the original race from Prime.

T
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

So, you want to argue that some unknown race that was placed here after Veeshan struck the world by who knows disappeared without a trace? Taken by Bert...they weren't even banished and wiped from existence, just claimed by a diety. Were they taken in that brief period between the time Brell witnessed Norrath being populated by Veeshan and him planting his first race (sorry second race, retcon) on Norrath? Or after the 1st pact when Tunare, Prexus and Cazic Thule planted their races as well? Or the 2nd pact when Rallos Zek and Bristlebane got involved? Considering that Bertoxxulous didn't exist at this point in time, it is impossible. Bertoxxulous and Rodcet Nife came into the Norrathian Pathenon at the same time, which is after the Marr Twins created the Barbarian Race. Bert and Rodcet are the youngest dieities in the pathenon until EQ1 began and more were added.

So if Bert claimed an entire race in his creation, it was after the humans came into existence which places it during or after the Age of Blood. If there was a race going around slaughtering dragons we should have some history of it. That is why I'm saying it probably happened somewhere else.
  12. Mixxit Active Member

There are so many kings listed for the Adan lineage of the Xulous and it does state lots of times that they existed on Antonica so I don't see why it needs to be disputed - it's clear from the amount of Adan Kings from the fabled planes of power lore and the many that had piled up in Lxanvon that they had been there for quite some time and it wasn't until Bertoxxulous was born that the Xulous changed into the diseased version we see in the crypt of decay on eq1

You don't need to slide them into the age of blood to make that work all you need to do is place the bertoxxulous event late on in the timeline so it's quite possible they were around to witness the remnants of the first brood long before bertoxxulous came about
  13. Meirril Well-Known Member

I always hate it when people talk about the first brood like they are extinct. Most of the dragons we talk about are first brood. Witnessing the First Brood generally refers to them coming into existence (i.e. Veeshan slapping them down on Norrath). Something that Mayong is rumored to have done.

And we do need to slide Bertoxxulous into the Age of Blood because that is when the Marr Twins came down to Norrath and did that whole Barbarian thing that lead them to taking their current positons. Bert shouldn't be around before that.
  14. Mixxit Active Member

You just repeated what i said!
  15. Rotherian Well-Known Member

That word:

[IMG]

:p
  16. Mixxit Active Member

He replied to me saying 'And we do need to slide Bertoxxulous into the Age of Blood' but I wasn't talking about bert i was talking about the xulous - which is why i was saying he repeated what i said - i agree bert comes later

Note i use the word later but don't necessarily think he needs to be in the age of blood - i don't get why you think it has to be around the humans arrival or has to be after the arrival of the marr twins

I might be missing something here but i don't see any mention of why it is required they both come after the marr twins - i could imagine one argument about rodcet descending on qeynos which requires the existence of humans but we know that rodcet had all sorts of exploits after his ascendance http://loreofnorrath.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/jalraeth-tome/ so he could have been around for a very long time before he came down to qeynos in his little ufo

so though i agree bertoxxulous comes later than the xulous why do you think it must be after the marr twins?
  17. Mixxit Active Member

18. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ah. Funny thing. Bertoxullous and Rodcet Nife both ascended after the Marr Twins took their positions in the Norrathian Pathenon. Also, these tomes your quoting didn't come into existence until after the Planes of Power expansion. So, much like EQ2's Kerafyrm wasn't put back to sleep the info your getting from EQ1 on Lxanvon doesn't apply to EQ2.

As a matter of fact, I've been poking around in Nizara recently. Some of the books that are only accessible in the zone (not actual books, but clickable objects similar to old style books) say something to the effect that the avatars that are contacting them (talking about the scholars of Taanan) are seeking information they are trying to destroy. Part of the inference is that the Nayad are in a different dimension than our Norrath. So that brings into question the Lxanvon books that come from this zone. Could they be talking about a Lxanvon that comes from a different Norrath?
  19. Mikegonz New Member

I think Mixxit's logic still stands here. While these books were "discovered" after PoP, The fact that they tell a history before Planes of Power I think applies to this universe. These are the same deities and they were established before the time split occured. Thus, I think these histories have to hold.

While the argument that these stories could have taken place on a different Norrath are possible, it seems hard to believe considering all the different texts pointing to this one race upon this Norrath. There's a lot of history left to tell, we can't just assume that we know everything that happened up until a point in time because of current lore.

I do however, think its possible theres some connection with the Xulous, Bertoxxulous, Rodcet Nife, and the shadowmen. We got so much lore on this race and these two guys from void-related areas. While the shadowmen are appearing on all these different planets or places on Norrath (I say places as well, since there are multiple towers in Norrath today, and thus we can't assume each Rememberance book is a different planet), there seems to be some eerie connection to Bert in some way. The Obelisk of Lost Souls is also called the Tower of Vul ( for Vul, or Vulrandis Everling after he gave up his soul for the Idol of Mor'Tael), but it is also called the Tower of Rot. The Tower of Zet is also called the Tower of Blight. Hmmm....

Also, we've read the stories of the separation of body and a person's shadow in the Shadows of Lonesome Hollow, which produces undead as well as shadowy versions of people. This happens on the night of a full moon.I sense a connection to the upcoming clash with what's going on in EQ1, where some ongoings with Luclin (the Maiden of Shadows) are going on. She has a connection with Norrath's moon Luclin, which has blown up here due to the Nexus.Considering the Xulous are going to be shown in the next EQ1 patch, I wonder how these things may tie.
  20. Mixxit Active Member

Hey can you tell me where you get that from? I feel like i'm missing some important lore!