Dragon Bones, Necromancy, and Bertoxxulous

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Mikegonz, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Mixxit Active Member

I asked Kaitheel for evidence on this but I remember Kyv on the eq1 forums saying ages ago about the Jal'Raeth being obssessed with the xulous

but if it's true i think the connection is:

(In cronological order)
    Xul'Varien leaves norrath/dies
    The Xulous have a strange monolith/tower appear in their town
    The Xulous king sends for aid to understand this strange tower
    Ultor the Putrid arrives to help and tricks the Xulous King and turns him into Bertoxxulous
    Xulous become wiped out from their original form as they are changed into Berts Forces
    Bert sensd the Xulous to spread death and disease arround norrath
    Lxanvon is transcended to the Plane of Disease
    <sometime later>
    The Jal'Raeth find the Xulous cities and (being immortal) become obessed with these creatures of decay and death
    The Jal'Raeth become infected, like the other races grow extra limbs and become part of the shadowedmen collective by either this disease of bert or from the monolith/tower that had appeared in the Xulous town (the town which is either now abandoned or full of infected xulous that didnt go to the plane of disease)
    Rodcet is somehow immune or stayed away and didnt become infected
    Rodcet fights the disease that's now spread to his people (the jal'raeth)
    Rodcet goes off trying to cure the disease
    Rodcet arrives at Qeynos and asks if the xulous have arrived there yet
    <sometime later>
    The tower remains where it has always been but is now overgrown and we enter through it in the Feerott and enter the OOLS
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

I've been looking around the internet for that information but I can't seem to find it. There use to be a one page teaser that listed all of the gods and talked about each of them a little bit. The last two deities listed were Bertoxxulous and Rodcet Nife and it mentioned that the two of them were the newest deities to the pantheon and that they ascended at the same time in direct opposition to each other.

Rodcet Nife is a lot easier to get lore on in EQ2 since there was a live event where a book on his first appearance was released into game. I'm not aware of any such corresponding book for Bertoxxulous and his origins.
  3. Meirril Well-Known Member

And I have to disagree on a very fundamental level. My very firm and unshakable belief is that anything introduced to EQ1 after 2004 has NO BEARING on EQ2. I give a real world date because I mean even if the EQ1 devs change EQ1's history from thousands of Norrathian years ago it doesn't mean that our history changes because it happened after the PoP expansion was released. Because if we have to pay attention to lore introduced after 2004 but before the Age of Cataclysm (Eq2's age) then...

We have an entire race of Dragon People waiting to be discovered in Kunark that look amazingly like Elves with horns from what I've been told. They have been there for over 20,000 years and we just haven't seen any of them wander down out of the Serpantspine Mountains.

Also we have at least two undiscovered Combine Cities to explore which may or may not have been destroyed during the Cataclysms.

I'm not sure how much more Lore the EQ1 dev team has put into their game that should dictate what our dev team here does if EQ2 is going to be held responsible for whatever EQ1 decides to do. But letting one game's team dictate what another game has to do is silly. That is why I don't think quoting stuff included in EQ1 after 2004 has any relevance to EQ2.

And if you disagree, we don't really have any common ground to work on.
  4. Kelvmor Active Member

Not to necro a thread or anything here, but I thought this was an amusing thing to quote upon concerning the relatively recent development in CoE about Ethernere being shared by both threads; and thus, EQ1 Cazic having an effect on Drinal that causes an effect in EQ2. Thus, the threads overlapping again, to some small degree.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

Except over in EQ1 land their Cazic Thule has been reinstated as the God of Fear in a basically comatose state. Which means that EQ1's nearly dead freshly restored Cazic Thule isn't EQ2's EQ1's void banished Cazic Thule.
  6. Rezikai Member

Back when EQ2 came out Meirril's analysis was more accurate. The 2 devs teams of EQ1 and EQ2 under Scott Hartsman would make their continuity split at the Plane of Time events of EQ1. They often said it was because they didnt wish to be pigeon holed into a certain world outlook because of the way the other game progresed... for instanace...

In EQ1 they had the invasion of the discord forces ala the Gates of Discord, when EQ2 was in pre-release the EQ2 devs didn't like/want that storyline and simply said in one of the pre-release lore nuggets that "adventurers" had helped push back discord forces through the opened gates .. of wherver. However in EQ1 the discord invasion and tons of more space themed stuff was used that basically never happed to that exent in the timeline for EQ2. Another example is Mayong in EQ1 vs Mayong in EQ2... in the former he becomes a god and tries to take over the plane of fire and succeeds in turning the demiplane of... music? into a demiplane of blood(it's been a while so forgive me if i get the names wrong). In EQ2 Mayong becomes a god but gives up the power to return to being an extremely powerful mortal, for reasons he say much about...

It was much later after EQ2's release around 2010? when Smokejumper took over as Sr Producer of EQ2 then later the entire EQ franchise along with Vhalar/Windstalker taking EQ2's Sr Producer roll, and decided to start spinning the lore/events closer then they had been letting different events effect each other in the 2 respective games. To be honest had the EQ franchise done this from the begining I think it would worked better.. but you can't go home again....

So now we have a little more EQ franchise coherency in world events even though the previous decades of events leading to them were basically picking expac/big-new-bad/new story out of a hat. I'm enjoying the coherency more as it does help blend Norrath as a universe rathern then "which Norrath" are you talking about.

EQ1 and EQoA tried this way back during the 2nd or 3rd year it came out? so 2003ish trying to blend the stories in EQ1's plane of time's library into the world events with the Unkempt Forest and Wegadas that EQoA was having "around" the same timeframe. Most players believed we were in the same timeline with EQ1 up to that point not knowing the "different time lines" created by the dev crews of each game to keep out of each others sandbox. So when EQoA's events (which were very fun and very well written) introduced other things like massive lycanthrope spreading ... some players felt a little put-off that it didn't line up perfectly... and to be honest I was one of them to but with a massive franchise like EQ I've come to realise that's a silly thing to worry so much about.. if it "kinda fits" then I'm cool with that. Things like the smaller cities of elves and dwarves (Fayspire and Moradhim) that were in the areas on EQ1's map but not put in-game in EQ1 it was a missive to inquire about but not something thats so out from established lore to worry over IMO.

A tapestry of storied legends and tales of lore is what I always saw the EQ'verse as. Having them line up even better then before brings out the hard core lore-otaku in me.

~Rez