Download cancelled. Can't download 1/16/08 update or play.

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-leekou, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

Check your PMs again TheHidden
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanielH Guest

TheHidden wrote:
    This is always a good first step when having a connection issue. If nothing else, doing so will allow us to eliminate the router as a possible cause.

Everquest 2 uses a range of ports and the precise port in that range will vary from day to day. Because of this, its not entirely uncommon for the game to work with the router one day and not the next. Bypassing the router or setting up port forwarding will always correct the issue, though.
  3. ARCHIVED-Vendien_VZ Guest

I am having this same issue tonight - I am running Windows XP - I am on a router with my husband and our roommate, both of which also have XP, and aren't having any issues with the internet or the game... mine, however, won't finish it's download... it says "Download Cancelled" ... I can connect to the internet just fine - I can even use EQ2maps, but I can't get EQ2 to finish its download...
    I've never had this issue before... fortunately I am having a new computer built-to-order... but that doesn't help me in the interim ... (I won't have the new system until June)...
    Is this still an issue with others? What can I do to fix it? I've rebooted the router, cable modem, and my computer twice, and its still not working...
    If it's an issue with the router, wouldn't it affect the other computers too?
  4. ARCHIVED-TheHidden Guest

Ok from my expereince this is what you can do to test.
    First, unplug the router, and connect your pc to the modem only. providing you have no connections problems there, try logging in... yes this is insecure, but its only so that you can test if you can download or not. try this with all computers affected. this will help you find out if its a routeing problem.

If you have more than one account try both accounts on any computer that works, this will help you find out if its an account problem.
    about routers, some ports will need to be forwarded to make things work correctly. im no expert but this is what iäve found out, some has been told to me by SOE.

1) on a network a port can only be forwarded to one pc at a time. ie you cant forward the same port to multiple machines.

2) Everquest2.exe when it is launched by launchpad uses a totally random PORT each time it is started. i have found that if i want it to work, i have to find out which port it uses upon startup, and forward that port, only after this am i able to login to the server. this is the most important port.
    In addition to this, eq2 uses ports between 32800 and 33000 to initiate connections to eq2 servers. this need to be allowed by any eventaul firewall you may have. on my router, i did not need to forwards these ports, i just needed to make sure my pc would allow the information outbound. these ports change almost all the time. in fact in my testing while zoning i found that i needed to allow another outbound port (between 32800 and 33000) almost every time i zoned. this will not help those having trouble downloading :/

so this is what i am currently deducing. everquest2.exe starts, picks a random port, then when it connects to eq2 servers it tells the servers what port the client is currently using, so that the server can send this information to the correct port on your current IP address. this port seems to be kept so long as everquest2.exe is running. it will change if your client crashes for any reason.

3) the interesting thing is for me, that ive never had problems downloading patches. and so i have not done much research, but its said that port 7000 is the one to watch here. but ive never needed to open this. launchpad seems to try to become just like a browser, or perhaps irc. perhaps someone else can fill me in on this :)...it would be good if we could collect our expereinces and update any guides that already exist. and make a very simple step by step guide to what users can do. :)
  5. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanielH Guest

Vendien_VZ wrote:
    That sounds like a firewall or user account issue. Make sure that you are signed in as an administrator when running the launchpad. If you're running a firewall, remove the launchpad from the exception list and then add it back on.

If those 2 fixes did not correct the issue, then please post your tracert/pathping info. You can find instructions on how to do so in the following post:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=353617
  6. ARCHIVED-Vendien_VZ Guest

Thanks for your help guys :) I was hoping I wouldn't have to directly connect to the modem because well, aside from the obviuos risks, the guys wouldn't appreciate being "offline" while I run tests, lol ... I think I've come-up with a "temporary" solution until I get my new machine ... I switched to my old machine last night (it's so old it only has a PCI slot for my graphics card, no AGP or PCI-E, hence why I've been trying to "upgrade")... I had no problems finishing the download on my old machine... it's on the same router, but using a different line, so I guess that answers my question... it may have something to do with the router afterall... so aside from having to play with crappy graphics for a few weeks, I should be able to login tonight after work :) I'll let ya know if I can't ;) Thanks again for your help!