Discord but not forums? Tells you something...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by santargria, Mar 30, 2017.

1. santargria Well-Known Member

I must be the only one that finds it appalling that developers use a 3rd party tool to convey to their customers which is not directly hosted or supported by the parent company.

I mean, why have a forum here and not use it? That makes no sense to me at all - why then should the rest of us use it if the information from company will not be posted here?

For me this tells me a lot about the company.

What it tells me that they're not interested in using their own supported tools to convey information to their customers hoping by using an offsite tool they can minimize any bad press they may receive.

When a company opts to "hide" themselves from their customers there is little satisfaction to be obtained from the customer base and often marks the beginning of the end.

It's really sad what has become of this game which I have always considered second only to Vanguard as perhaps the best MMO of it's kind ever created.

I'm really getting fed up with this company and devs - nerfing entire areas to try and solve an easy grind issue is perhaps one of the worst implementations I've ever seen in an MMO!

I mean really, why even have bonus's if they are no longer of value?

What's next to be removed nerfed...All XP except for quest xp?

Not mention by doing such they've pretty much destroyed the ability for new players to advance with reasonable speed and made playing alts a chore rather than an enjoyment.

I know this all sounds like gloom and doom but I'm not the one that nerfed entire areas.
    Merriel, Steelviper, Prexyss and 18 others like this.
  2. Wurm Well-Known Member

I hate the whole discord thing.

And I look at it this way. If they say something here its Archived.

With discord within a few mins of time its scrolled off the page and gone for good unless someone copy and pastes it here.

And because of that they don't have to be as civil as they do when they post here.
    Revel, Steelviper, Scrappyz and 10 others like this.
  3. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

They're not hiding. They're just using Discord rather than posting here in the forums. Sorta like how we use cell phones to text and talk to people, versus sending smoke signals from the bonfire in the back yard. Its forward progress. They didn't have to recreate the wheel either, since Discord was already and up-and running / viable solution (rather than IRC) for communicating with their player base.

I've seen where a major issue arises post-patch, and the devs are alerted instantly on Discord, and begin working on a solution. Versus - someone posting a thread here which clearly isn't a direct line to a dev.

So, along with the good - there's the bad. A little more input here from someone in charge of managing the community would be nice - when huge bombshells or hints or details of a potential upcoming change - a little note here would be nice. The problem with that is - people will tend to use anything a dev posts here as gospel - and attempt to hold them to it. Even the slightest spelling error creates waves of gloom and doom - take this thread for example... https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-receive-any-polls.577184/page-2#post-6422609

But I'm with you on the way everythings (the game dynamics) is / are beginning to feel. They did the whole skyshrine nerf a while back, and it was reversed - maybe this will too, I don't know.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop... hopefully is a nice shoe, and not another clown shoe.
  4. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Funny, sad, and true all at the same time! :):p:D:eek:
  5. Wurm Well-Known Member

We can only hope. I'm at ascension level 22 now and the grind is starting to really get on my nerves.

Especially now that the cool older heroic zones I was doing before and having fun in ain't worth squat.
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

They were never interested in what we said here anyway.

It was more of a way to trick players into feeling like they cared.

In my opinion of course.
    Prexyss, Xillean, Dude and 2 others like this.
  7. Jrox Well-Known Member

This is terribad! There is no way to have constructive back and forth in Discord as there is no way of organizing ideas, thoughts and conversation. It is all over the place,
    For example:[IMG]

and unless you want to scroll through mountains of chatter, most completely irrelevant, that is not a good place to have community discussions for a game like this. At least not about anything important. FOr the Epics it was great as we all hunted together, but for game information like updates, patches, fixes, and bugs it is a complete waste and disaster. But it seems it can be used as a scapegoat for actual responsibility.

Just sayin...
  8. Kenn Well-Known Member

I think they use outside tools because people that come here are players already, they have us on the hook. They want fresh blood and they don't get it preaching in house.
  9. Ratza Well-Known Member

The News and Announcement forum has dwindled down to bare minimal - if it wasn't for server updates there would be no news at all.
    Steelviper, Kashue, Xillean and 3 others like this.
  10. Jrox Well-Known Member

Even the everquest ii tweet hasn't been hit since March 17th.

Just sayin...
    Xillean and Mizgamer62 like this.
  11. Kenn Well-Known Member

I wonder what the eq2 franchise would sell for.
  12. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

If you guys thought EQ2 communication was bad, Planetside 2 devs only lurk on the cesspool that is Reddit. LOL.
    Xillean and Mizgamer62 like this.
  13. santargria Well-Known Member

If any of you played Vanguard ( I did from beta to lights out) you may be experiencing deja vu!

This is similar to how Vanguard ended...It didn't happen all at once but over the course of a year or two...

No news from the devs except for a few nerfs (Sorc kiting for example), no acknowledgement in the forums from the devs (they also moved to a different location and unable to provide answers to questions they were being asked), announcements of personnel moving to new positions (some within SOE, some to other companies).

And to quote:
    Xillean, Feldon and VGScastaway like this.
  14. Entropy Well-Known Member

I welcome the use of a real time chat client to communicate with the devs. They've been incredibly responsive there, and that is a wonderful thing for the playerbase. It's also given us a vehicle to communicate easily with eachother across servers and share thoughts; usually productive, sometimes trollish/whiny, whatever, got it... that's how the internet works.

As someone said earlier, it's just leveraging a different technology. Whether or not it's a proprietary thing that the parent company owned is meaningless. It's just a forum for information sharing. You use what works best for your team, and as long as the collaboration is occurring, that's the only thing that matters.

Why is this even a thread? You don't want to load up Discord in a browser window or download the client? You're just used to "official forums" being something you were comfortable with? What's the root complaint here?

We complain for years about the devs not communicating with us and then they go ahead and give us a forum where they're constantly communicating with us in real time and people whine about it. Sheesh.
  15. Ronjah Active Member

Forum reading wastes much more time. Of course you could offer a free service to filter, interpret, summarize and conclude discussions on the forum and serve them for further processing to the developers.

Also the forum looks like **** but that's just my assessment, Stylish to the rescue.
  16. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

guess the phrase "if it is working, it does not need repairing" is foreign to you, eh?

guess if they start using FriendFace to do their communication, they would justify abandoning the EverQuest II forums that have been WELL established?

This is not like stating "my parents moved to a bigger house, but I am just keep going to go to their old shack and complain about them not being there"
    The Internet makes one's "address" appear exactly the same, regardless of where it is physically located.
    This Discord thing is like coming to our parent's house, and wondering why there is a stranger in a trench coat standing on the porch saying "hehe,.. come over here,... i have some brownies made by,... Mom,..." o_O:eek:
    Dude likes this.
  17. ruinarion New Member

I think if we use your analogy it's more like they replaced posters hanging at the city gates to notify the public about the news with smoke signals. It's not a better technology, it's a different technology that does not allow for good communication of what is happening. It might be nice for instant reports of issues but when the only official communications method is ephemeral it means people are going to get frustrated and ask the same questions over and over because they see no answers.
    Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr likes this.
  18. Freyja Member

Discord has a search function that works. It is not always necessary to scroll back to find something.

The forums here have degenerated to constant one up-person-ship in the, sometimes intelligible, art of complain, complain, complain, and I'm so much better than everyone else with personal insults thrown in. Any post resembling a positive attitude or thanks for something is immediately swamped by the Daybreak haters. It's no wonder a number of players simply scroll through the forums and then go back to playing the game.

Feldon worked his tush off getting a chat forum together for EQ2Wire all at the request of many players, some who were just looking for yet another Flames type of forum. Even Feldon was tired of the Flamer wannabes here and made sure his forum did not pander to them. What happened? Hardly anyone uses EQ2Wire forums. This ticks me off something fierce as Feldon has done more for the players than any other 3rd party site AND managed to keep a relationship going with the swinging door dev teams. Plus, he's a helluva talented guy with databases.

I still play the game. I still like the game. The constant posters, many who no longer play the game, not so much.
  19. Jrox Well-Known Member

I don't just want to see a specific word or phrase when I search for information, I want to see the discussion and how it developed and the ideas that sprang from it or were written off due to whatever reason came about. I want to then add to it without someone yelling, we had a five minute conversation about that 2 days ago...scroll up moron!

Feldon's forums were great, I used them for a time. The lack of collaboration from many sources kinda left me feeling like I wasn't really part of any real conversation. That has nothing to do with Feldon's hard work or what he has contributed to the game and to the community.

I still like the game, (it just needs some things worked out in my opinion. I still play the game, A LOT! People leaving the game and posting about it is hopefully raising eyebrows with whoever is in charge, but most likely is falling on deaf ears.
    Meneltel likes this.
  20. Kioske Well-Known Member

This is a forum thread because they have no true moderation over there on discord.

I was banned from there (being completely civil) for suggesting fixes to Focused Casting, and other broken mechanics. I suggested that it felt like we were beta testing the game on live every time they put out updates. These are things I have seen in depth on the forums without bans being handed out. I think the Devs of this game need to take a step back from communicating with the player base and it should be done by a moderator who has some customer service skills and won't just ban people from the forums because they can't take constructive criticism.
    Steelviper, Kashue, Xillean and 3 others like this.