Diminishing returns on wards when value exceeds 1 billion

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Vencido, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Vencido Member

Assuming this is some kind of cap, could we get a fix soon please? We are getting to the point where self buffed standstill wards are approaching this cap and we aren't even half way through the expansion. In raid they almost always surpass the cap making any fervor buffs/procs or legendary+ crits completely useless.

Easiest way to test/see this issue is with the Fount of Power buff in any solo zone or by jumping on and off the sun rays in Monolith.

Some example values (all standard crits):
    Crit bonus and Ability Mod were static at 4779% and 1.677M so were not included.

Potency - 91,173%
    Fervor - 131%
    Umbral Barrier value - 779M

Potency - 101,811%
    Fervor - 131%
    Umbral Barrier value - 846M

Potency - 214,605%
    Fervor - 525%
    Umbral Barrier value - 1162M

Potency - 239,143%
    Fervor - 525%
    Umbral Barrier value - 1183M

It's harder to track exact numbers in raid as your potency/ab mod aren't static and you're usually taking damage, but with fervor procs (291 is my cap, every fervor proc brings me to 291) Umbral Barrier still doesn't exceed 1.1 billion when the numbers should clearly be significantly higher, in case anyone thinks it has to do with the Fount of Power buff.
  2. SteveB Active Member

Be happy that you have wards, Inquisitors have to live without wards at all before the mob is at 50% and than their wards are still way lower :rolleyes:
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Heals and reactives have 'diminishing returns' at much much smaller values... ie player hitpoints totals. Any (none-ward) heal amount past that is completely useless..
  4. Vencido Member

While I don't disagree inquisitors aren't in a great spot right now, that's not the point of this thread. As for heals/reactives again I don't disagree it's an issue but we don't know if they plan to inflate hitpoints or something to fix that. Right now what we have is mobs ramping up to pulse hits of 300m every 2 seconds and wards capping out at just over half of what the hits are doing - and like I said - the xpac is really just beginning in terms of raid content, future mobs are likely to be higher.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

A better solution would be to tune the mobs damage.. rather then make non-warders more and more irrelevant with the damage getting so crazy.
  6. Vencido Member

That's only a band-aid. Our potency/fervor is still going to make our wards exceed 1 billion and making everything easy mode to heal to adjust to that would be incredibly boring.
  7. Clintsat Well-Known Member

I would be ok with letting wards get bigger if they added 50% non-wardable bleedthrough.

Then all priests will be at the mercy of their groups gear.
  8. Sentrasia Well-Known Member

Just changing potency via temp adorns/potions/buffs that only affect potency.

93k Potency - 1.79 AMod - 304 Fervor
    Standard Crit - 1.019Bil

97k Potency - 1.79 AMod - 304 Fervor
    Standard Crit - 1.023 Bil

107K Potency - 1.79 AMod - 304 Fervor
    Standard Crit - 1.025bil
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

For shaman (and templars)... on many fights it is pointless to be/have non-warders.... that is even more broken.
  10. SteveB Active Member

Heal mechanics in general are broken, the "new" warding amount issue is only a little piece on the iceberg...
    Not seen any heal in that expact that will not fully heal any person, does not matter how many HP he or she has... Should also not be like that or why are there small and big heals? Anyway, that is also like you have more or less a problem if your class has no wards not the topic of the threat...
  11. Clintsat Well-Known Member

If the diminishing returns only kicks in at 300 fervor and 200k potency, we are ok for now. Nobody is going to consistently be there outside of solos.

If anyone needs 1b+ wards in solo content, I know some Defilers that can take them under their wing.
  12. Vencido Member

In raid with ~95k pot and ~150 fervor they start breaking 1 bil with standard crits, I only listed the higher fervor stuff to show how dramatically the values drop off when they should be much higher. As for Steve and Mermut like I said before I don't disagree there's issues with your classes but this isn't the thread for that, please stop trying to derail this one.
  13. Sentrasia Well-Known Member

Please don't try and twist it to seem like it isn't an issue. No one is saying there isn't an issue with healer balance but this thread isn't about that. It's specifically about diminishing returns on wards.

I used fervor procs because it was an easy way to track it while fighting a dummy and so I didn't have to dig into logs after a raid.

So let me put it this way:

Raid Settings: 97k potency - 1.8 AMod - 155 Fervor - 4.8k CB
    Standard Crit: ~970mil
    Legendary Crit ~1.030Bil
    Fabled Crit ~1.080Bil
    Myth Crit ~1.080Bil

Raid Setting 2: 97k potency - 1.8 AMod - 304 Fervor - 4.8k CB (AKA Fervor Proc)
    Standard Crit: 1.023Bil
    Legendary Crit: 1.080Bil
    Fabled Crit: 1.080Bil

I haven't seen a myth crit with a fervor proc so I can't speak for that. That being said two different crit types should not return identical ward values

Also confirmed with 2 defilers, One with higher potency than me (using current tier GM group ward), one with about 20k less potency (last tier gm), and a mystic with ~23k less potency than me(AA umbral barrier) that their wards cap out at 1.080bil (Obviously some other stat differences as well). Now the two with lower potency hit those values with a fervor proc and a crit.

The fact that we're all seeing the same cap number is odd considering the stat difference between us.
    The only way any of us see a ward higher than 1.080bil is to go into a solo and basically double our stats and even then the difference is fairly small.
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

I, at least, wasn't trying to say such a drop off isn't happening. I am, however, suggesting that it would be a better use of the limited dev time to address healer balance instead of making sure that wards continue to get even more powerful in comparison to other heals.
    SteveB likes this.
  15. Clintsat Well-Known Member

Basically what Mermut said. This isn't nearly the most pressing heal issue. Tbh, this could even be intentional.
  16. Radi Member

I risk repeating myself... but why do clerics care about the problems shamans? We don't have many of your OP abilities - Stun break(Inq), Equilibrium etc. But the wards are a real problem, be always... on DoT, group damage and more situation.
    50% non-wardable? ****, it was already! And what? Clerics dressed in raids and gtg solo healing HM.
    If we get 50% non-wardable events, we get 50% non-healable events too!
  17. quisling Well-Known Member

I imagine having to pause the tv during boss fights is disheartening.
  18. Fleurs Active Member

The problem is easily seen as in solo, the single target ward and group ward have about the same ward value, which is strange since the base value on tooltip show the group ward should do about twice the ward amount than the single target one.

It seems they just harcapped our ward to 1 billion, which is not a problem right now, but could become one in 1 or 2 expac when player hitpoint and damage from mobs will raise beyond our hardcap.
    That and nerfing most of our secondary ward like Shroud of armor, tribal rage, and some others by not critting at all (or was it not getting potency), rendering them useless. (Hurray for a 200k ward from 9 AA point invested while players have 50m-100m hitpoint)
  19. Clintsat Well-Known Member

So basically, shaman will be in the same state as all other healers in one or two expac? Is that Bad?

At 100k potency and hefty fervor, the Fury group ward proc doesn't even do a quarter of that.
  20. Earar Well-Known Member

the issue right now I see is that shaman group ward only ward themsef.

carrion warding only ward the defiler. Not the group. Don't know for mystics. Saturday I grouped with a defiler in T1 heroics and the defiler most used heal was .. ancient shroud.

same tonight with the defiler in our raid. .. They still manage to put some nice HPS .. but seems some stuff are broken