Dedraka's Descent Solo Not a Solo Instance

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by kyrin99, May 17, 2022.

1. kyrin99 New Member

This instance is too hard for me as a solo Conjuror. 3 deaths for first boss, 5 deaths for second boss, 5 deaths on 3rd boss, I gave up after that. I never could take down the next boss. The combination of hit and run away and wait is way too difficult while trying to control a pet, a merc, and DPS all at the same time. I really don't see the need for all this difficulty in a solo instance. If players want more challenge, they could play the heroic version. The result of your over powered instance, is that I cannot finish the signature line. I see no reason to continue to pay for a game which is, to me, unplayable.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

Daryx likes this.
  3. kyrin99 New Member

When I put on the new gear, it told me i could only have 1 of something so in order to wear the gear, i had to remove one of the adorns. Red adorns? I have no idea. If I do not have enough AA after having played all the signature lines up to now, then how much grinding would I have to do? This is all unenjoyable for me. Why would I keep paying for a product I cannot use or enjoy. Also, yes, I had the problem with Kyrin, I also had the problem with Kelsie.
  4. DENSER Well-Known Member

honestly, I don't know what to tell you. my opinion is that live is not for a new player or a player who wants to 'chill out'. it's pretty good grind race, perpetual, for make up for a lack of content. The obstinate player will find his account, the casu, much less, even if it means feeling aggrieved.

At the moment I'm disgusted, I don't really see the potential for evolution on the live, apart from farm the same instances all year long to have enough coins to buy this or that, then same mecha over and over.

Make new with old, they are strong for that.
  5. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I had no idea my decision to earn all my AA's early on by adjusting the slider (can only be done sub'd) was going to be practically mandatory at some point later in the game. My condolences to those who left it at 50/50 xp/aa.

I am sorry I do not know how much grinding it will require, but at least adjusting the slider, found on the AA UI, will expedite your efforts. Especially if you have xp boosts active.

Regarding the adorns. Absolutely annoying. For those of us that do not know all the names of what is available, it can detract from being able to enjoy this game. Fortunately, someone has written up an excellent walkthrough(?) about which adorns you want to grab before entering the Vetrovian zones. You can find it here:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...de-for-beginners-or-returning-players.602324/

Apparently you won't have a red adorn on all the gear that are slotted for it. I have no idea if crafted adorns fill the gap left after raiding Tishan's crate and visiting the pandas. Hope that helps.
    KauaiJim likes this.
  6. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I don't understand this statement. When you have multiple adorns that have the same name/effect, you will get an error message. It tells you exactly which one (although it doesn't tell you where on your gear it resides). You then unadorn the piece of gear and re-adorn without the one that would be duplicate. I assume it was the weapon/range items that may have double of the same item.

Doing the signature quest line would have netted you multiple upgrades as you progressed. I'd ask in channels if someone would come duo the solo with you. Most times someone will /t you and can help each other out.

Sometimes it takes taking a breath and trying to figure out how to get a zone done. Go slower, pull less, maybe temporary adorns, or actual adorns on open slots (not meaning you have any open ones).

This expansion has been fun for me. I hope you get to the point of it being fun for you as well.
    Twyla and KauaiJim like this.
  7. kyrin99 New Member

Ok. I need to add that I am at max level. I am able to solo most things. I have always cleared all trash before going after boss. In this zone, the bosses are just too hard. My opinion is that those people who want a greater challenge could play the heroic version. It is not necessary to have this difficulty level in a solo zone.
    AOE1, KauaiJim and Hartsmith like this.
  8. KauaiJim Active Member

I created two brand new toons to focus on solo'ing last year. A berserker and a conjuror. They both are absolute beasts at solo'ing. I am saying this to encourage you to not give up just yet, Your conjuror has the potential.

As others said, AA's are important. If that's your profile on EQ2U it says you have 340/350 and it looks like none are spent in conjuror prestige. You should have 350/350. Adornments can get confusing and the guide Hartsmith linked is very helpful. Very.

You need a good healer mercenary (inquisitor) levelled up to at least 5 or 10 and geared up (use plate gear). You should also have a good mount levelled up a few levels to help boost some of your stats. You should also have a good familiar. Etc. etc.... The overseer system, while being yet one more ball to juggle, is actually helpful in levelling up mercenaries, mounts and familiars. It's just tedious and takes a while to get it built up but it's helpful once you get into it.

Again, assuming that is your EQ2U profile I see you tank pet is Grandmastered which is great but ALL of your other spells are at Apprentice. Try to get them up to Expert (or at least Adept).

If that isn't your profile, the advice is still good.

Lastly the only named in Dedraka's Descent that gave my conjuror any real trouble was Krelburn. Be sure to keep moving around or he will insta kill you. I mention this because even being well geared that named can still be a pain sometimes.

FWIW I just had a similar frustration on my solo berserker. If you think DD isn't really a solo zone wait till you get to Merchants Den, lol.. I am able to solo it on both my conjuror and my berserker, but I almost gave up on my berserker because of a mob named Beefcake.

That <bleep!> Beefcake killed my berserker every single time. BAD DOG! I would be fighting him just fine and every time he had only a little health left I was suddenly dead. Gave up last night in frustration. Read what little I could find on the internet and it kept saying "use heroic opportunities to clear his stacks...". Went to sleep thinking 'Heroic opportunities... yeah right....' and thinking maybe my attempt at a solo berserker was a failure. Turns out heroic opportunities did the trick the first time I tried it this morning. Huh... Who would have guessed?

So, sometimes like Xianthia said, taking a breath (or short break even) can help.

Hang in there fellow solo conjuror!

Edited to add - Oh and I agree they are making the solo instances a wee bit too difficult for a lot of players. It is exaggerated by the crazy amount of tricksy stat compleximifcations DB has woven into the game and the numbers being so huge no one really knows what's going on during combat, lol. But it's still fun!
    Xianthia likes this.
  9. vlada Active Member

Edited to add - Oh and I agree they are making the solo instances a wee bit too difficult for a lot of players. It is exaggerated by the crazy amount of tricksy stat compleximifcations DB has woven into the game and the numbers being so huge no one really knows what's going on during combat, lol. But it still fun!
    lol what?
    this is an easy peasy zone. and at no time do i not know what is happening during combat. wth is a tricksy stat compleximifcation?
  10. KauaiJim Active Member

With the large amount of stats coming into play and huge numbers that are difficult to distinguish it can be tricky for some players to figure out what to do to overcome a challenge. Not a factual statement on my part just a lighthearted comment to lighten the mood. Don’t get hung up on it. The point of my post was to encourage the op to not give up on the conjuror and not to debate the rest of the playerbase about stat bloat. I’m okay if you don’t understand what I said or disagree with it. It wasn’t the point.

Edited to add: Earlier post was during lunch at work. To answer your question "WTH is a tricksy stat compleximification?" that was me trying to be silly but talking about how EQ2 now has more stats than ever coming into play during combat and sometimes it's tricky to figure out what you need to do to get which stats up to what is needed. Potency, fervor, resolve... In other words, what's going on in the code during combat with all of these stats and how they all come into play together. Maybe you understand everything that's going on in the code and all of the combat calculations going on at this point but I will admit I certainly don't. I never meant to imply you or anyone else who knows how to play doesn't know what is happening during combat (from a players point of view). For all I know, maybe everyone except me does understand entirely what's going on behind the magic curtain with all of these stats. Anyhow, feel free to disagree or ignore it.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If your conjy had that much trouble, it's because you don't know how to play the class. A conjuror should rip the zone up.

Without a link to your toon on EQ2U, it's hard for us to give you any meaningful feedback. You can either give us your toon's name and server, or go to EQ2U and look yourself up and post the link if you want good feedback.There is a VoV Gear Guide that should help you upgrade and get ready for the VoV solo timeline.

You should be using a healer mercenary. Set the mercenary to simply follow you, do not allow it to protect or assist. That means it will keep you healed and cured. There is no "controlling" it, just let it do its job.

So, did you read the walkthrough for Dedraka's Descent on the wiki? If not, do so. In all the VoV zones there are SCRIPTS you have to follow pretty much (until you can one shot the mobs anyway).

I don't know how you managed to die to Zaag the Unburied. He's just a tank-and-spank who ports from time to time, leaving you to chase him down. Sic your pet on him! Then run to keep up, you need to be in melee range of him.

The next boss is a x2 Epic tyrranosaur, Scarfeather. You won't be able to do much with him if you don't follow the script and lead him into the bubbles in front of the ceranodons. Do that, the ceranodon whacks Scarfetaher, you hit it as hard as you can till he stands up, you run to the next bubbles rinse and repeat.
    girney, Twyla and KauaiJim like this.
  12. Daryx Well-Known Member

As Sigrdrifa says, be sure you use a healer merc that is not on assist so all it does is heal. My main is a conjuror and was my first character through. I do understand having problems with Zaag, because if you don't have heals and get stuck in the Hands of the Dead (or whatever they are called) when he ports away, the detriment that slows your speed, and the increase in damage from his distance could easily be enough to kill you if your gear and self-buffs aren't enough to compensate. Having a merc that attacks means it is going to run after the mob and be too far away to heal you, let alone even try to.

So, in addition to that healer merc, make sure you keep moving during that encounter as well for that reason. Put gear on your merc (the gear and accolades from Tishan's lockbox in Svarni Expanse should be adequate) and hopefully it is trained up.

And try using the Aery Hunter. If it's not at least at expert, get it there. I did the entire line with the level 111-120 spells at adept and expert but my Aery Hunter was at Grandmaster and it did absolutely fine. You could always reset your character Grandmaster choices to change your other pet to Grandmaster. I have used the tank pet at Grandmaster for several of the VOV dungeons but my other spells are all higher than apprentice.

I realize it can be extremely frustrating to get all this in place when you are starting what should be a fun experience, but the tools really are there. You are at max level, but didn't say if you have used a boost for the 120 perhaps, in which case your 111-120 spells are at adept at least (or master if you lucked out and got it during the period that happened) and honestly it can be done with adept spells if you gear up right.
  13. Celestia Well-Known Member

Honestly I thought the zones were complicated for some classes the other day, but then I tried this one on my ranger of all things, and she tore things up shockingly. And she’s wearing starter gear and using apprentice abilities so, yeah, listen to Sig, she knows what she is talking about. Once you actually do the tricks that the wiki says, and use the right adornments, it turns out it’s not so bad. I think the only reason why I thought it was difficult is because the stats and such are complicated for returning and new players. And because I was running it on my Templar lol.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

On my healers, I have to be very careful to body pull just one or two mobs and fight them, rather than pulling a room as I do on my casters or tanks. I wait until the healers' Ascensions are all up before pulling names. It's s-l-o-w-w-w. But this is pretty much what I've had to do with the healers since at least Velious. When I can, I get another player to duo the solo instances with my healers, just to make it speed up.

Actually, now that I mention Velious, Velious was a shock to our systems, back in the day, because EVERYTHING, including Great Divide overland trash mobs, hit like trucks. It was the first expansion that had been that steep a jump. But sometimes, a challenge is not that bad a thing.
    Twyla and tasnee like this.
  15. girney Active Member

the gear guide is very nicely done and has helped me with all my toons. my paly doesnt have too much trouble but i even completed the sig line with my bruiser,troub and beastlord. using the guide helped with adorns which are very important to make your toon able to beat dedraka and even suite of screams.