Counting errors spread

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Sheratan, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Sheratan Member

My conjuror (Sheratan/Thurgadin) has a counting problem for years: first it was only for the missions now it also concerns the quests. I reached the "quest obsessed" achievement, 6500/6500 quests, but now the count for the next achievement marks 6454/7000. The missions are repeatable, but for the quests don't work that way because only the different quests are counted.
    Is there any developer who can do anything for my account?
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

This forum is really just players helping other players. You can file a /petition from in game or just go straight to customer support and file a trouble ticket.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us
  3. Sheratan Member

This is what I was told to do with the problem of counting missions on December 21, 2018 and it was the third petition I was sending:

<<This is GM ......... here to assist you. I'm afraid that this Achievement is not something in-game GMs can assist with, as it can only be fixed by Dev. We can only suggest sending another /bug report, and posting to the forums to establish that this is an issue. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,

GM .........
    EverQuest II Customer Support>>

I sent /petition, I sent bug reports, I sent PMs to two developers (the first asked me to contact a second and the second never answered me). If the forum were only for players, the Devs would not answer or the GM of the support would not ask those who have problems posting on the forum.
    parissa likes this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

On a development team, you have a system that tracks bugs. When they initially come in someone (usually the QA team) checks to see if it's really a bug. Different teams use different processes in triaging bugs, but in general, issues that crash the game and/or destroy data a really high priority, while counting missions and the like in Achievements doesn't affect game play and is really minor. The minor stuff gets put on the back burner.

Without specific of which exact achievement you're discussing, I can still guess that the problem lies in how some "missions" are classified within the game. In this case, you need to figure out exactly which mission you are doing that is not updating your count. I.e., check mission count, do the mission, and check the count again. If it does not increment, log completely out of game, then log back in and check the count again. Still not incremented? Open your Journal and carefully read the mission description. How is it categorized in the Journal, is it under Missions? Are there any noticeable differences between that quest and other missions that do update?

We now have the additional problem that Census is down at the moment while DBG works on reducing lag. I don't know exactly how the Achievements "count"... i.e., are they looking at the main game database, or ate they checking Census, or what. I doubt Census is the problem for you, but I don't know for sure what's being called there to say for sure.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Sheratan Member

I'm talking about a problem that now involves two counters, quests and missions: first the problem was only for the missions now even for the quests. I hope to be able to explain.

The missions are counted even if they are repeatable.
    -march 2017
    I have completed 2001 missions, unlocking the achievement "Mission Improbable": now I want to reach the achievement "Mission Controllers". I should have a count bar with 2001/3000 missions completed, instead I have with 851/3000 ... I lost 1150 missions.
    -june 2018
    I have completed 3000 missions, unlocking the achievement "Mission Controllers",and the next achievement (Mission Imperceivable) was at 4000 missions:the count of the bar was not 3000/4000, instead it was 0/4000, so I lost another 3000 mission.

For the quests the counter only marks the different ones, if you do the same quest several times (item quest, faction quest, etc.) the counter will only mark the first one ignoring the others.
    yesterday I reached the "Quest Obsessed" achievement with 6500 quests completed, but the counter instead of being 6500/7000 is 6454/7000. It's true I haven't lost many quests, but I wouldn't want the count to get worse.
  6. Crock Member

Just realistically, there's not going to be any fix you can expect. If the people who are busy with the game are going to do something about it, it's only going to be something concerning the very recent current content. There's just nobody set up for the position of fixing any and all of the older issues, system or not, because it stopped paying years ago.
    You can go the /bug or /petition way, but the best you can expect is that kind of automated response you quoted above. And I'm pretty sure it was not a true GM but simply an automated response everyone is getting these days. True GM is (in other, actually moderated games) someone who's able to forward a bug report to a working developer, assisting reports made by players and leaving ways for issues to be handled and maybe one day fixed. In this game, you can't seriously expect even a GM holding a position anymore, since there was not one in years.
  7. Sheratan Member

Crock, I don't know if you're right about GM, but I also had to try because the broken quest counter is recent.
    It is certain that if what you say were true, it would be very sad :(
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

That's not true. They DO fix small stuff and older content bugs, it's just that the priority is to fix more important bugs first. Right now the main focus of the dev team is going to be (1) the lag issues and (2) the coding for the next xpak.

Typically, a development team will work in lower priority fixes as they have time. So, for example, if a dev is waiting on some part of the coding to be completed by someone else before they can proceed with their next deliverable, that might be a time in which less critical bugs and cosmetic fixes get done.

If you can come up with a way to duplicate the bug (for example here, figure out what exactly is not being counted, or if there's some sequence of events that seems to roll the counters back, etc.) and give step-by-step instructions on recreating the bug in a /bug report, that makes it more likely that the bug will get fixed sooner. Small bugs that are difficult or impossible to reproduce are usually hard to figure out how to fix--the dev has to know what's broken to be able to fix it--and tend to get shoved down in priority.

Folks who are experiencing this problem can also get together in a thread like this one and each report what they're observing with the bug. Some helpful info to give the devs would include the name of the character(s) affected, and as much data surrounding the bug as you can.
    Kittybock, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You are incorrect here. Using /bug puts the issue directly in the work queue. Someone, usually QA, will assess things turned in using the /bug command. They try to reproduce it, if they determine that it is actually a bug they then assign a fpriority for fixing it. This counting issue isn't crashing the game, so it won't be the highest priority, but it's probably higher than a cosmetic fix. You will not receive any kind of response from a /bug report.

Using /petition puts your information in front of the customer service team. They are not developers. You do get a response, but this kind of problem is not really the kind of thing a GM can do anything about.

If folks who are experiencing this problem will list the name of the toon(s) with the problem, the name of the server, and give details about what they're seeing in this thread, members of the Community Communications team such as dreamweaver, or members of the Community Council (I am one, for example) can point the devs to the thread as well. So, if you have the problem, document it here, and we can at least bring attention to it.

But no one can do anything useful without full details! So document!
    Juraiya, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  10. Crock Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (and any proof would be great) but any and all of those "small stuff" and older content bug fixes can happen as well as 3, and usually more years later, from any of my experience with the game. Not that I'd want to discredit what you're saying, it's very logical, but what you're saying is also way too positive than what is truly happening within the game. The dev has to (logically) know the game he's working on, a player can only do as well as to report a problem happening from observation occuring by naturally playing - which was described pretty well above, and hoping for someone actually responsible to find an appropriate problem spot and do something about it. You can't seriously expect people playing the game to test each and every instance of in-game situation for a possible bug to happen or be re-created, without any in-depth knowledge of the mechanics behind the game, and to document any and all required information, while most and any wouldn't even know what kind of full details is required in the first place.
    Rhodris likes this.
  11. Juraiya Well-Known Member

No, but you can report it here (as well as in a /bug report), and see if other players have experienced it. If others have, then sometimes by figuring out the common denominators, you can resubmit the bug report with that information, and then maybe the devs have something to work with. If only one person has reported the bug, there may not be enough info; if several players post about it here, and discuss it amongst themselves, and figure out the common factors, the devs may be able to figure out the problem. This has happened here before.

If it turns out that no one else has experienced it, of course, then it becomes ever baffling. That has also happened before. But all anyone can do is try.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  12. Sheratan Member

More details...
    In my account, only my main character has this problem.
    Server Thurgadin, name Sheratan (high elf conjuror).
    The counters that are giving me problems can be found in: EQ2> Journal> Achievements> Quest.
    For missions it should be this way: 2998/3000 then 2999/3000 and finally 3000/4000 with acquisition of the achievement and beginning of the next one (for 4000 missions).
    In my case, the last time, it went like this: 2998/3000, 2999/3000, acquisition of the achievemnet, but the counter marked 0/4000.
    Then it restarted normally 1/4000, 2/4000, 3/4000 etc.
    Now the problem is also with the quest counter: 6498/6500, 6499/6500, acquisition of the achievement, but the count is now 6454/7000.
    For the rest, I don't know what to add:confused: ...
    Cyrrena likes this.
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Sheratan and Juraiya like this.
  14. Sheratan Member

Yes, I remember. Cortana, Raenius, Tindias...they had the same problem with missions, instead Cerelean with the quests: I am on the pages 14 and 15 of that thread. :(
    Cyrrena likes this.
  15. Kittybock Well-Known Member

I'd suggest posting your issue the Thread that Cyyrena listed. The type info that would be helpful to know is what quest you completed recently which did not populate. Perhaps some of the quests included in the original 6500 are now no longer available or the like and it's causing an error, but reporting it there would be a start, so they can look into it.

Here is an overview of your current:

Quests:
    It shows that Sheratan completed Quest Obsessed Achievement on Oct. 8 2019
    The next 3 Achievements show your character is currently at: 6457/ 7000

Missions:
    On the Achievement for missions, 3075/4000
    Sheratan, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

And Gninja stealths into threads all the time and that is his thread anyway.
    Kittybock and Breanna like this.
  17. Sheratan Member

Thanks.
    I have already written twice in the thread that Cyyrena listed, on page 14 and on page 15.
    The quests have increased thanks to Yun Zi (panda) in The Sundered Frontier and the missions are now at 3075, but in June 2018 I started from 0...the explanation that some quests are not counted because they no longer, seem plausible:cool: