[Contest, all servers] Sacred Spaces 2015

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jazabelle, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Do it!
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah! It takes courage to land on a dead moon! :D

Too bad you can't use anything too obviously from real life; Shadrac has an amazing Saturn V ship ready to go in his Norrathian Air and Space Museum... :)

Uwk
    Ikitty likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, most of the pantheon was pretty darn warlike (look up Freya's various duties, as well as her brother Frey's, and they were of the Vanir, not even the Aesir), but Thor was mostly just storms and such?

Uwk
    Ikitty and Naramsin like this.
  4. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

You can totally do RL-esque stuff, as long as you have a good way to explain why it's in Norrath! If you have a car, it'd better be a Gnomish one. *nod*
    Naramsin and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I think Shadrac's idea was "convergent evolution" with his very familiar-looking space program. ;)

Uwk
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

No, really, seriously: what are "taters"? The only ones I can think of are the boulder house items that look like the artist was pressed for time and had boiled potatoes for lunch at work (I'm looking at YOU, "wind swept stones" mining node in Thundering Steppes)... :-/

Uwk
  7. Strings Well-Known Member

The word "tater" is a slang word for "potato" that drives Jazabelle up the wall. She hates that word almost as much as she hates palm trees. (FYI she also gets comically irritated when rosed, because she's trying to be cool and not admit how huggy much she loves piles of fluffy flowers and things)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tater may refer to:
    • Tater (or long tater), baseball jargon for a home run
    • Tater Salad, nickname of American comedian Ron White
    • Tater, a Southern United States and northern English slang term for a potato
    • Tater Tots, registered trademark for a commercial form of hash browns, a deep-fried grated potato side-dish

I live in the midwest and since it is the land of tater tot hotdish the only time people I know use the word tater is to say tater tots or tater tot hotdish. It is a specific type of way to make potatoes. I don't think I have ever heard anyone use it as a slang for potato. I never knew it was baseball jargon or part of someone's nickname. In case you don't know what hotdish is, it is basically casserole. I don't know why people say "'taters' Preciousss" except maybe someone loves taters and Lord of the Rings way way way too much.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

In a Lord of the Rings movie (Two Towers, if memory serves; the scene may have been in the Director's Cut version), Sam and Gollum/Smeagol wanted to cook something for Frodo, but all they had available was a pair of barely pubescent bunnies (i.e., not very big) that Gollum caught and killed. Sam grumbled, put them in a stew, and started halfling-reminiscing about all the possible side dishes, other ingredients he could put in there, etc., and one of them was "taters." Gollum hadn't ever heard the term (or had forgotten it) and asked himself and Sam, "What's 'taters,' Preciousss?" Sam, whose patience with Gollum was always at the snapping point, shot back, "PO-TA-TOES," as if someone who probably was a hobbit er, halfling, once upon a time, should've remembered that. Granted, potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkins, maize (corn), etc. are all New World native species; I blame the Numenoreans ("greatest mortal mariners in the world"). ;->

"Tater Tot" is also the nickname of Ron White's son. ;->

I know what taters are; just had no idea what the term meant in this context at all until Strings' two coppers. ;->

Uwk
    who actually hadn't known what a "hotdish" was...
    Strings likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hey, all ye Knowing of the Decorating Items (hail to thee all, without whom the rest of us would be even more floundering! :)), what are good house items for Karana? The "standing whirlwinds," dervishes, djinn, etc.? Not sure I'll go far enough with that idea to buy a Storm Cloud mount, but... ;->

Uwk
    who's also thinking: fluttering papers, sail boats...?
  11. Aelissa Well-Known Member

Hi Jaz and Iso! Thank you kindly for putting the contests on. I enjoy them all and they are a great distraction from craziness that goes on in my life. I just read the forums and I wanted to tell you that I appreciate you all taking the time to do this. I know it's not easy and you do put a lot of effort into organizing the events. I also hope your health issues clear up soon so you are not in pain.

Re: Prizes from ROTR15 (I think I got a participation prize of 100 -I didn't claim or send a note I couldn't decide what to get lol)

What I was thinking of, not sure if it will help make it easier on you, or encourage long term participants or just be a pain in the hiney...but my idea is "banking the DBC".

ex: I ask to bank my participation rewards for this and the next few contests until I save up enough for something I would really like...or chose to donate the banked DBC for more contests ect.

Just an idea!

Ok For my Sacred Entry:

1. AB Server character names are Aelissa/Znova
    2. AB Server, character name Aelissa, and 1 Justice Road, Freeport or 1 Freedom Road hmmm I will have to log in again and check.
    3. Your preferred participation prize.
      (One item, 100 DBC or less, from the DBG marketplace.)
    4. “I agree to the rules of the Sacred Spaces contest.”

I *think* I emailed this correctly but It's 3:20 am so posting it here also, in hopes someone finds it, somewhere =P
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Still not sure what to get for #3, or just the 100 DBC? ;)

Tough choice, depending on what you want! I finally went for the Rustic Kitchen Sink, I think it's called, even though it was only 50 DBC. I'm thinking, "house items that aren't really part of a set, where I need to get the rest of them." ;->

Uwk
    Aelissa likes this.
  13. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Oh, man. I do love those sinks, too! Inexpensive and functional. (Actually, I like most of the Player Studio stuff. I just can't afford it.)
  14. Orpiment Member

I'm not gonna enter enter ... but I might get Harashi - Spreader of Luvs' house finished up just because, with her attempt to please Erollisi ... who she now can't worship unless she gives up the rest of who she is. /grumpy sarnak
  15. Naramsin Well-Known Member

It is true that all or most of the Norse Gods loved to battle, but Thor was The Thunderer, the god of storms. Tyr is the god of war, but it kinda sucks that he got the shaft though. He was told to put his hand in Fenrir's mouth, so he did, and Fenrir ate his hand.. And I could go on and on about Norse Mythology, but that would only spoil it if I did, lol.
  16. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Lol, they censored me when I said "Grammar Not See"
  17. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I am from the Midwest too, and Tater Tots sound really good about now. I like 'em crunchy golden-brown with cheese melted over the top. Too bad I am on a diet atm, lol!
    Niboota and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hey, it was the only way they could bind Fenrir...something had to distract him long enough to get that funky chain on him. Bad dog. ;->

You gotta wonder about Loki, though; god of fire (and usually a redhead in the mythos), god of mischief/illusion/trickery/sorcery, etc.; he was the father of Fenrir, or the Fenris Wolf; the father of Jormungand the Midgard Serpent (basically Loch Ness on steroids, big enough to encircle the world); the father of Hela, the ruler goddess of the underworld where everyone who didn't die a heroic death wound up (not a fun place)...she was fairly normal-looking, though some say her face was double-sided: one beautiful, one distorted; the mother (when he was running around in the form of a giant mare--long story, one he usually doesn't like to talk about) of Sleipnir, Odin's eight-legged horse...seriously, Marvel toned him waaay down for the comics. ;->

Uwk
    Naramsin likes this.
  19. Ikitty New Member

Kronos are available to all your toons on every server and Jazz has toons everywhere lol why would the winner have to go to AB to get it? They may want to sell it for plat rather than use on account:)
  20. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

I'm not the one who's providing the Krono :) The one who did is on Antonia Bayle, and they've already obtained the Krono. So if the winner is going to claim it, they'll have to stop by AB, as I have no way to get it to another server. Now, the winner COULD offer to trade it to someone on their home server to use (that person makes a toon on AB, the winner gives that toon the Krono, the person uses it, then gives a Krono or plat to the winner on their home server), but figuring out the logistics of something like that is up to the winner.

The Krono is in addition to our previously-announced prize of 2000 DBC, so think of it as a "bonus" prize from a very generous individual.