Container Depots? Good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Deornwulf, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Deornwulf Active Member

Since there is now a depot for just about everything else, what is anyone's opinion on adding container depots to the game?
  2. Ragna Well-Known Member

In my opinion it's useless.
    I just can't see a situation where this would be useful enough to warrant the cost. Obviously ymmv.
    Deveryn, Finora and Mermut like this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

The guild bank works well enough for containers. Everything else there is a depot for is either consumable or has a huge variety of useful things to put into them. For bags there really isn't any reason to use anything smaller then the biggest size you can get. Additionally each toon only has need for 24 bags (+1 ammo bag) and an additional 8 for the shared bank (this 8 is per account).
    I've never seen a time where there were at least some bags up at a reasonable price on the broker as well.
    Kuulei and Deveryn like this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

Bags aren't something people tend to upgrade very often. I stock one pane in our guild bank with the largest bags & refill as necessary (go go mass production). So I have to agree with Ragna, the benefit just doesn't justify the rent cost.
    Kittybock and Mermut like this.
  5. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Let's not forget bags would first have to be made to stack, which could be a whole can of worms.
    Kittybock, Kuulei and Finora like this.
  6. Alenna Well-Known Member

as someone who is both the tailor and carpenter of my guild and who loves to make strong boxes and back packs for new guildies It would not be useless it would save a lot of space in the guild bank as it would help me have the boxes and back packs ready for any new guildie who comes in. but given that Devyrn and others are right about the trouble it might cause. it would be nice to have and it isn't as useless as some would say the cons out weigh the pros on this one.
  7. Ragna Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from, I've a tailor and a carpenter too (granted they're not the only one in the guild) but...
    - AFAIK items need to be stackable for depot.
    - If containers were stackable, you wouldn't really have a need for depot as they would only take a few slots in Guild or Shared Bank.
    Kuulei and Mermut like this.
  8. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I think that trying to make containers stack would be a nightmare of bugs. :eek:
  9. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I always keep 1 full guild bank tab of the thick 46-slot backpacks and that tab is open to even rank 1. It was easier to to explain to new recruits to please take a couple bags (rank 1 is allowed 2 bags per 24 hours) and have that info in the MOTD. You can set it up anyway you want as far as ranks for the tab(s) you fill with bags.
    Kittybock likes this.
  10. Arrk Member

I would like something other than a sales crate that can hold bags, particularly if they could go in a furniture display.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

There's a "bag stand" sales crate that can do just that. The eucalyptus holds 96.

(Just as a refresher: here is the full list of sales crates)
  12. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I would like to either see a new depot or modify existing one to hold charm items such as turkey launcher, cow catapult (there are lots of tinkered charms) and the fun foods/drinks that are actually a charm such as death-by-chocolate.
  13. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Kuulei hit the nail on the head, at least for me. Some items I want to be able to limit for new guildies. I love the depots, but there is the issue of possibly getting new members that clear a depot for their army of alts, etc. True, bags do not cost overly much to make but at least with the Bank Slot system, you can see how things are working out.

As an aside, I wish there were more settings available for the existing depots.

Kitty
    Finora and Kuulei like this.
  14. Meirril Well-Known Member

I can see the stacking thing being an issue for bags. Bags could be redone to be baubles that you have to unpack to use. But that is all kinds of "fun" with all of the existing bags out there. We're talking about a lot more than just the crafted bags too. All of those tiny vendor sold bags, and then drops from this quest and that quest. Remember back when 12 slots was actually good? There were quite a few quests that rewarded those.

We really don't need an entire depot for bags. It would be nice if we could drop them into an existing depot. The only one that comes to mind that would have room for the bags would be the ammo depot. It isn't logical, but it isn't used to its fullest extent like the others can be.

If we had a crafting dev (a dedicated guy with time to do side projects) I'd want him to consider creating "crates" of common crafted items you want as a set. So you could have a "crate" of 6 backpacks that you have to unpack to use. Then you could have "armor crates" for full sets of gear, "furniture crates" for like a table and 4 chairs. Or a bed and 2 nightstands. Fairly common set ups of items you want as a set. Even something uber-ridiculous as "expert crates" containing all of the expert spells for either 1 level or 10 levels (5 levels?) for each class. Then a crate depot would make sense.

But that would take some thought and a lot of busy work. Something I think the dev team can't afford right now.
  15. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It's a lot of extra work for something we really don't need. These things are easy enough to make as needed and you only ever need so many at a time. Storing them somewhere is going overboard on all this packrat business. Backpacks (like other items) are already pretty well stored in the harvest and fuel depots ;)
  16. Bashem Well-Known Member

I guess they have problem coding to put a container in a container so if it was an easy fix I would say go for it but if its not then not a big deal that we cant have the ability.
  17. Meirril Well-Known Member

I don't think the depots treat items like other containers. Other containers seem to track items as individual pieces of data that require a lot of variables. Depots seem to be a simplified data set that records a lot less data, but that has the side effect of loosing some of the properties of items (like maker tags). So if a backpack was stored in a depot I don't think it would be seen as a container in a container, I think it would be treated like any other item.

The point that was brought up is that when the spell depot was created all of the items that can go into it were converted to stackable items. I'm not sure if the depot requires that these items be stackable, but it is a very good indication that could be the case. Containers replace other containers when dropped into the same space. So trying to make containers into stackable items as well as containers seems to be problematic. In short, there may be a technical reason why this isn't possible.

Or it could be that converting everything that goes into the spell depot into stackable items had nothing to do with the depot but was a separate but related dev decision. That seems unlikely as it was a humongous amount of items to change as it covered every spell, combat art and recipe in the game.
    Dulcenia likes this.
  18. Deveryn Well-Known Member

This was the one and only hold up they ever mentioned with getting spells and recipes into depots.
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

So yeah, making a container with all of the special tags a container has stackable isn't really do-able.

They would need to do something like introduce a non-container version of each item so that could be stackable. Possibly making it so you could convert every container into the non-container version like you can convert epic weapons and mounts into furniture.

Or they could just have new crafted containers come out as unpackable stackable baubles that won't repack so they could be stored in a depot....

...that is a lot of effort to put containers into a depot. Honestly my "crate" idea a few posts back gets the basics done and allows for more utility to crafting classes in general. Tailors, Armorers, Carpenters, Jewelers, Sages and Alchemists could easily make sets of items that people would want. Provisioner and Woodworker consumables are a less natural development for crates but could work here too. I can't think of any reason to crate up weapons or anything weaponsmiths make. There just isn't enough slots they fill to make demand for a set of weapons.
  20. Deveryn Well-Known Member

EQ1 created a system like this. Bags get turned into baubles through an NPC, so they can be sold on the broker. Of course, we can sell bags straight on the broker.... and with sales logs, refund any guildies that make a purchase. It's just another way people can distribute bags without the need for a whole new mechanic.