Constructive Feedback Only plz!

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Ranja, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Jay beat me to one of my posts and he brings up several good points in his. Are we able to do our job effectively? I want to keep this thread focused on the changes that we need to help do our jobs effectively. Remember the proc changes are here to stay so saying stuff like go back to the old way is not going to cut it. I want constructive and creative ideas on things SOE can do to bring us back up to our T1 status and also help us solo effectively. Ony constructive feedback please, becasue as Jay said, if you want to whine and complain there are a ton of other thread out there already (and it is ok to whine and complain. We all need to vent).

OK with that said, here are several things I think we can use to make us more effective.

1. An increase in damage on all of our ranged CAs of about 20%-40%
    2. Maybe one or two more frontal melee attacks that do significant amount of damage
    3. A root or snare that actually works to keep the mob off of us so we can use our bow CAs while solo
    4. A stun that works on ^ mobs as well as no arrow mobs. I think Swashies have this already.
    5. Another debuff that debuffs melee skills so we have a chance to survive when going melee with mobs.
    6. Point blank shot skill. The higher the skill the less interrupts and misses we would have. The lower the skill the easier it would be for us to get interrupted. Also, factors in the amount of damage we take in factoring interrupts.
    7. giev us the ability to summon appropriate level arrows to fill the whole quiver, not just a few arrow. Wtih the new importance of auto-attack and haste this sounds like a good idea

Those are a couple of the top of my head. As good ones are posted I will keep updating this thread. Hopefully, we can get some good ideas and some feedback as to whether we are on the right track.

Elbryan
    60 Ranger
    Message Edited by bentgate on 02-22-200607:55 AM
    Message Edited by bentgate on 02-22-200608:10 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-klepp Guest

the only problem i see, is theyve already made changes we know they arent going to dchange back.. at the risk of making themselves look stupid. Deb. arrow on the move is gone for good. Our traps are gonna only catch 1 mob from now on.. So much for being effective on raid adds ect. The trick shot nerf i wont even try to understand....
    prove me wrong dev's.. and do it quick, im nto having fun anymroe and i feel like im wasting my time sitting in front of my computer if im nto having fun.
  3. ARCHIVED-Caelum Guest

I dont want any more melee attacks. Period the end. If so, ya know, assassin....anyway, I think the easiest fix would be to let us use bows regardless of range. Mob gets in your face, ok, trip fire, sharp shot, whatever, LET ME USE MY BOW IM A RANGER
  4. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

That is actaully not a bad one. Maybe a skill called point blank shot that needs to be increased. An actual skill:) the lower the skill the more chance you have to be interrupted or miss. The higher the skill the better chance of success. I will add that one to the list.

Thanks!
  5. ARCHIVED-Khevynn Guest

Well first they need to take away the cost of being a Ranger. Last night I looked at what it would take to fill up a quiver with Inidum Arrows and it would be abotu 64 gold a night. the cost of poison has gown down since we dont' proc that much, but it is only a matter of time before the alchemists jack up the prices do to reduced volume of sales.
    1) giev us the ability to summon appropriate level arrows to fill the whole quiver, not just a few arrow. Also they can just take arrows out the game period. If you got a bow then you shoot it.
    2) Give us poisons as an ability. Or make our CA's have different poison effects. Last night I was killed by a level 56 ^ ecounter that could heal. If something can heal then we cannot kill it since our DPS is lower.
    3) Significantly raise the amount of damage we do. Get us on par with our Tier 1 counterparts.
    4) Allow us to use our bow and CA's point blank range. We are supposed to be ranged Damage, not close combat. Leave the infighting to the assasains.
  6. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Again the point blank idea - I like that one. I also like the idea of tier appropriate summon arrows given the upped importance of auto-attack now

Elbryan
    60 Ranger
  7. ARCHIVED-Bithnar Guest

Bentgate,

That skill is already in game, its called focus. I get interupted now and again while trying to sneak in one more bow CA when the mob hits me and interupts me. But yes I think we should be able to use bows at close range since thats what we have been relegated to.
  8. ARCHIVED-StealthM0de Guest

I tested my ranger extensively yesteday in solo as well as mixed t5/t6 groups. And I dont have any hard numbers (cause the darn parser crashed) but I can tell you this. We aren't nerfed as bad as you think.

There are a few things I would like to ask SoE to look at though.

Imbued rings:
    3% chance to proc is a load of troll waste, I know I had a good 400 encounters yesterday/last night/overnight and not ONCE did my rings proc. This proc rate percentage needs to be raised or they need to change rings back to constantly on OR back to USE with duration only. This 3% chance to proc with a 45 second timer is crap.

Bow ca's:
    When I started firing debilitating arrow and went to back up and it displayed interrupted I almost cried. We have zero moving bow ca's now. We at least need one or two MOVING ca's. We aren't meant to stand still and be a melee class taking hits (we dont get heavy armor do we?). I am not saying make our uber dps ca's moving. I am asking that devs look at this and consider a median with maybe lesser damage bow ca's being fired other then stationary.

For BlackGuard, tell your ranger dev friend on test to start soloing instead of sitting still in groups all of the time please. It's obvious his input was group content and not solo conent tested.

Poisons, poisons seem to be proccing the same if not more for me. I am still going through a charge (200 procs) of poison pretty fast (not the 1-3 times a day as I read elsewhere). So poisons are still proccin as they should be. Last night I hit a new record far as arrow usage, I finally wiped out an entire t6 pristine scaled quiver full of makeshift fulginate arrows. One non stop gore fest from 515pm last night to 1am (est when AB went down for 10 minutes) till 955am est today. I decided I was going to thoroughly test these changes before I made any comments regarding the changes.

In conclusion, there are two issues I'd like the devs to at least take a look at, one is the imbued rings are now garbage, you might as well just take the rare and get a nice adept made, or sell it, because its not worth getting a ring made in its present form. They just don't proc...at all. The second being the moving bow ca's, we are rangers, we are not meant to melee, we are meant to stand back and knock the crap out of our target. That is what defines us as a class we have superior bow skills. Well its not so superior when you cant't move 5 feet while shooting, nor at all for that matter. Sure autoattack works on the move, but with the other changes I've noticed (base damage on bows seems lower to me, as in lower then prelu20 postlu19) SoE is changing too much too fast and not taking the variables into account.

Please SoE investigate this issue with imbued rings, cause as it is now imbued rings are worthless and a waste of a good rare imo (I feel like I was ripped off for 1.2plat after the fact. And invesitgate this issue with moving bow ca's. I can't see this as a good thing that these two things are so messed up post lu20.

Lastly quivers, take a close look at these, we should get some type of stat on here, maybe even if its only agi/power, SOMETHING should be on here.

Arrows....even at adept 3 I cant keep enough makeshift fulginate arrows around to last me more then one night of hardcore playing (not raiding just playing). So possibly take a look at this as well, maybe a small increase in the amount made per trigger would help. Maybe it won't I don't know I am just trying to voice my observations constructively. I hope this isn't flamed and read through to see that I do care about rangers and I am trying to be civil about this. There are some changes yet to be made (or un made depending on your view of it).
  9. ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith Guest

Please dont ask for more melee skills :(

We're rangers bro, if people want to do T1 DPS with a sword then go a Assasin.
  10. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Yes focus lets us not get interrupted but a point blank skill would let us fire at point blank. Maybe the skill requires a focus check to prevent from being interrupted.
    Elbryan
    60 Ragner
  11. ARCHIVED-Bithnar Guest

I guess what I was meaning was that Focus already is used to check for interupts, they just now need to let us use our bow CA's at point blank range and use focus to check if we are inturupted . . . so we agree =)
  12. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

1: Have arrows consume only on auto attack
    2: Add another proc skill
    3: Increase our dots to hit a second, instead of once every 4 seconds(similar to the necro ones)
    4: Vastly increase auto attack damage
    5: Increase all our CA damage so we are on par with t1 without using poisons (we shouldent have to pay for our dps)
    6: Faster cast times on Stealthy fire, and snipers shot
    7: Keep casttimes the same, but increase damage on these two abilities
    8: Increase the damage crafted arrows do
    9: Change the offensive around so that we can proc melee as well as ranged (also change the assassin one around to 30%)
    10: Give rangers more backshot type abilities that do moderate/heavy damage
    11: A ranged sneak attack, similar to longshank (I normally find that I use shadow before stealthy fire because im to far out of range)
    12: Change around stream of arrows so that we can get closer to the mob. (I find when facing giants I have to stand REALLY far away to cast it)
    13: Give us an ability to get poisons free - similar to salvage arrows.
    14: Give us two ranged dots that do not stack with lunging blade or fatal reminder, and keep those two dots for pure melee
    15: Eliminate the need to find the "sweet spot" inorder to use meleeskills (longshank, fatalreminder etc) and archery abilities
    16:Give us group buffs (if sorc's can get them why cant we?, Or increase our DPS so we dont need utility)
    17:Give us something similar to the assassins apply poison, that will stack with our CA
    18:Increase track (thats what I loved about eq1, I knew what was up int he zone)
    19:Change the formula on stats, so that agil or str also adds chance to hit.(do the same for casters)
    20:Give out quests that will give out rares
    21: Put on an EQ MP3 player (eq1 had one, why not eq2)
    22: Put on a EQ parser
    23:Increase the arrows we get for salvaged arrows to 99 for master 2
    24:A teleport attack to get behind the mob and in ranged/melee range (the sweet spot)
    25:Give attack speed to quivers (similar to EQ1)

Im not going on on how ranger should be number 1 class - I just think that preds should be the top single target damage dealers, and mages should be top group target damage dealers. Our skills were geared that way (But now both rangers and assassins need work).I really hope something is done quick.

Edit: Got smileys on :p :) P)
    Message Edited by LoreLady on 02-22-200610:49 AM
  13. ARCHIVED-Blackguard Guest

Thanks for putting together a thread for constructive Ranger feedback. We are paying close attention to ensure Rangers are fun and will make changes if necessary. I'm even planning on trying a Ranger out with handcrafted gear and App II spells at every 10 level range to check them out. I may not have a Ranger on Live, but I've played pretty much every class in some form so I have an idea of how they work. I'll be discussing my findings with Design afterwards. Of course, I'm not the only one looking at them closely--the mechanics team is as well.
    Message Edited by Blackguard on 02-22-2006 12:03 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith Guest

There are no app III spells to the best of my knowledge.
  15. ARCHIVED-Tomanak Guest

Then your knowledge is flawed. As a crafter I can assure you, that a 3rd level combine of a skill up results in an App III.
  16. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Well, a reply is a reply none the less. Atleast I have some assurance that something is being done, in the meantime I plan to do some parsings each time I group and post snippits down on what other classes are averaging as oposed to what I am doing. If I am outdamaging everyone,I will post that. If a templar is outdamaging me, I will post that.
  17. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Thanks for responding BG. It is good to know you are monitoring the situation. There are alot of parses floating around on this board and the development corner baord that suggest tanks (zerkers, monks, and bruisers) are outdamaging us on a consistent basis. I know this is not meant to be the case and I know there will be some adjustments made. What I and all of my ranger breatheren are worried about is how long these changes may take. Not a single one of us wants to run around as a gimped DPS classes for 6-12 months seeing all of KoS as a lame duck ranger.
    If procs were reduced, as I think they shuold have been, I think an immediate and practical solution would be to up the damage on our CAs a bit. As it stands now, our heaviest hitting CA , Triple Shot, (besides Sniper Shot) only does about 700-900 damage and that is if all three shots hit (This is without poison procs). I am no expert on other DPS classes but I am sure their heaviest hitter (with a similar recast time) hits much harder. I think the main problem is that you took away procs from our abilities which were based on procs. The damage from all of our abilities was made on the assumption of the old proc rule. The old proc rule was changed and it therefore made the damage on most of our abilities way underpowered.
    I hope we can continue to give good feedback and you can monitor the situation.
    Elbryan
    60 Ranger
    Message Edited by bentgate on 02-22-200611:09 AM
    Message Edited by bentgate on 02-22-200611:09 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith Guest

You sure? I have a lvl 60 alchemist and I rememember reading something about the removal of appIII spells (possibly from merchants?)

If i'm mistaken then I apologise, maybe because I never make anything except AdeptIII.
  19. ARCHIVED-FlintAH Guest

You are mistaken
  20. ARCHIVED-Zeijandi Guest

My constructive post for the quarter. Yep, this is it, just one. From now on, it will be nothing more than u r teh sux, l2p, qq, etc...

Give rangers back the ability to kite. Remove the restriction which keeps rangers glued to the ground while they try to shoot. Kiting takes skill. Situational awareness. It doesn't inflate damage one bit, but it allows a skillfull player to avoid some damage and succeed at difficult challenges. Keep only a couple of arts interruptable, like sniper shot or something, but return the vast majority of them to fireable on the move. I believe this would help to give some skillful players the fun option to attempt difficult encounters without asking the devs to inflate base CA dmg.

This won't help rangers who stand and shoot arrows at big mobs for the duration of a raid, but I would like it considered in the 'Nice things to do in Norrath when you're dead' list.