Constantly Running Out Of Power

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Nere, Sep 28, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Nere Guest

Lvl 51 Warlock

In combat regen items:

Prismatic Rod
    Efreeti Boots
    Robe of the Invoker

Not the most complete list I know .. but it's what I have.

During /respec chose power regen whenever possible.

I am running out of power unbelievably fast. Haven't raided since the expansion but I can not possibly imagine how I'm supposed to function. I never even had to carry my manastone before this. Now, even tho I'm using that every minute and grisly contract whenever I can, I still am just OOP. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?
  2. ARCHIVED-Syndro Guest

No, not really. We have more power than before. Maybe you shouldn't cast all the time and preserve your power.
  3. ARCHIVED-omegablivion Guest

Power conservation is an important skill for casters to pick up on. On the other hand, what you're fighting also plays a role in your effectiveness. Although I rarely run out of power in normal group situations, when my group went to Shimmering Citadel the other night to fight wisps, I was at a loss. ^^^ single target healer mobs with ridiculous noxious/poison resists. You couldn't hand pick worse mobs for a warlock to fight. Against those MOBs, I was running out of power fairly often because of my minimized DPS. So I would just say to be mindful of your new role. Warlocks are going to have to learn to hate ^^^ single encounter mobs, they're just not our cup of tea.

Gilbert - 51 Warlock - AB
  4. ARCHIVED-Nere Guest

Thank you for the insight. So, the key to not running out of power is to not cast. It's so simple, yet so effective. Again, my thanks.
  5. ARCHIVED-Syndro Guest

I never said do not cast. What I said was know when and what to cast, in other words, play your character smart. Every encounter is different.
  6. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

I've to agree with this.

OK, we may have had more then better mana conservation before the revamp, but since the revamp we literally burn mana to cast spells.
    To prevent this, I simply have to hold back and throw in the occassionaly spell combined with the nerfed Grisly Contact in-between.

I have 4 other classes, and I can say some have REALLY better mana conservation then others.
    Some classes don't even get to 50% with chaincasting to kill a similar mob, also, it's no problem to handle 2-3 fights in a row if you get adds.

As a Warlock you can't do 2-3 decent fights (arrowless mobs) in a row without waiting for regen in-between.

The "doing more damage"-part is totally irrelevant imo, coz the mobs are just as strong for other classes.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kalel22 Guest

I really dont see this. I have a few regen items but nothing huge. (Prismatic, GEBs, BotM) In a trio group we would chain pull mobs, killing a group every min or so (and Im burning with all AE's) and I was never too bad mana wise. I would manastone whenever I could and Contract between pulls. So with some nice drinks in groups you should be fine.
  8. ARCHIVED-sveppir Guest

I have noticed a significant drop in my power regen lately. I tend to solo quite a bit, so this wait and cast once in a while approach is boring [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] hell and does not interest me in the least and definitely affects exp gain. Not that i am in a race to 60 (or even to 50, just 43 now) , but it is kind of a pain that i have to wait after most fights to attack the next mob, and that is on greens and blues. Yelows i just don't even try to fight any more, as it empties my mana bar, and forget about it if they resist one or 2 casts.... lucky to run away and live.

edit- I also chose power regen every chance i could

Message Edited by sveppir on 09-28-2005 09:54 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Nergall Guest

Chain pulling as a dou last night wasnt a prob.
    Just eat yourself with manastone+ghastly contract+endow energy (can be casted on yourself)=600power of so.
    Always have a drink on to bump regen on the downtime while you east yourself.
    And get a battelment of the mind item :p

There is a new manastone too,get it if you are too short in power.
  10. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

You guys act as if it's normal to have GEB, ROI and Prismatic weapons, well it is not.
    IMO, it should also work without these items coz the majority do not have these "regen" items.
  11. ARCHIVED-Nergall Guest

GEB is an HQ no reason not to have.
    My BOTM item is Ring of the nighblood easly obtaiable from nkzaj just need to catch his spawn.
    ROI is money/luck.
    Prisy is a good guild.

Nothing too hard.
  12. ARCHIVED-Splatterpunk28 Guest

I rarely run into a problem and I have the same regen items as you. Last time I ran into a problem was those epic x2 mobs on 3rd floor in CoR -- we were chain pulling them and I was usually the one with the least power. Of course I was doing triple dmg of the entire group, but still.

If it's single target mobs, you need to switch to pets, distortion, devastation and dots -- do not use soul flay, ice flame or any AE's...or you will run out of power quickly.

I haven't heard of a new manastone...anyone have information on this?
  13. ARCHIVED-Nere Guest

The Vessel of Fyr'Un

Which I now have. I wouldn't call it the new manastone (gives very little more power than manastone but at a cost of potentially MUCH more damage). I haven't done the quest that follows after receiving the vessel yet, perhaps when the vessel is fully restored it will be manastone 2.0

edit .. oh and btw .. before you place your manastone on the shelf .. the recast time on the vessel is 30 minutes.

I do need to get BoTM item .. I've killed the nightblood for the ring several times but was never lucky enough to get the /ran for it. It seems from the posts here this issue is more about me and the groups Im in tackling very difficult groups of mobs on a near constant basis .. I'm always casting because everything around me must die .. and quick. :smileywink: Still .. on a long raid type fight I think this will be a problem no mater how much you cannibalize your health.
    Message Edited by Ashes2Flames on 09-29-2005 05:33 AM
  14. ARCHIVED-Nergall Guest

I think you have the uncomplete vessel.

I think the complete one have shorter recast then 30min.

Also depends how many dps class in group ofc.
  15. ARCHIVED-Nere Guest

Why do you think this?
    Do you have it?
    I have the vessel. Not the unfilled vessel. The vessel you get for completing the quest. It has a recast of 30 minutes.
    I stated I haven't done the quest after you get the vessel .. I don't think anyone has at this point.

If you know the recast changes on the vessel at some point please tell me what it changes to.

Edit:
    Here's the stats on the vessel:

+3 int +3 wis -3 sta +15 power -15 health +1 disruption

Class: All (50)
    Slot: Activatable
    Casting time 3.0 seconds
    Recasting time 1,800 seconds
    Increases power by 411
    Inflicts 269-806 Damage to caster
    Decreases health by 27-81 every 6.4 seconds

The quest you get following receiving this does imply the vessel can be made better. But it's all speculation as to what numbers will change as far as I know.

Message Edited by Ashes2Flames on 09-29-2005 06:50 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

Whether those items are easy obtainable or not is not the issue here.

But, I don't see anyone in here without those items who can say he has plenty of power left after pulling 1-2 encounters and do chaincasting.

And, I'm just saying that my other toons can chaincast all their spells and kill 3-4 ecounters non-stop in a row before their mana is running low.
    And often, we also need to cast a consuming debuff and rootspells before doing actual damage, while other classes have "armor" which is static, doesn't cost them time and power while it still protects them during fights.

I stick to my opinion that our spells consume too much power compared to other classes.
  17. ARCHIVED-Andre Z Guest

18. ARCHIVED-Nergall Guest

I know those stats and im 99% sure that they will improve when you finish the series.

I doubt it will stay at those lame stats.No one will do the quest then.
  19. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Wierd for some reason I dont have those items and ... I dont have out of power either. Rethink your tactic, rethink what you are killing.... Yes I DID expirience some problem then I at lvl 50 tried to nuke down sand giants in SS - not anymore
    I have only GEBs/Primatic but for outside of combat I have intuition + T5 drinks plus fortitude of body on ring of removal help immersively for canibalization. You need use DPM efficient spells over power hungry one. Plus dont be affrait burn a lot power during combat if you can recover it rather fast after combat. For me downtime mainly comes from health regeneration and waiting on Devastation timer to get up
  20. ARCHIVED-Oakbrow Guest

But, I don't see anyone in here without those items who can say he has plenty of power left after pulling 1-2 encounters and do chaincasting.
    /raises hand. Only item I have for "regen" is the manastone, and I rarely use it. 46 Warlock, primarily solo, but even in groups, I have plenty of power for 3-4 encounters chain pulled. Int is only 201, and I'm casting Nil Distortion (Adept 3), Nil Absolution (Master 2), Ice Flame (Adept 3), Deter (Adept 1), Soul Flay (Master 2), sometimes Vulian Interference, or that one with the green head icon to complete the flame HO. Somewhere in there I'll power pump the tank/healer as needed, and maybe drop a pillaging or that other dot line once in awhile. If I try to do much more than that, I'll be pulling aggro--so I generally don't.

Message Edited by Oakbrow on 09-29-2005 07:32 PM