[Concerns] The future of EQ2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarra, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Cragfire Well-Known Member

Or even as awesome as SWG's NGE...
  2. DamnataAnimus Active Member

Willing to bet it will be more recycled content just like ka is.

Or the we are too understaffed to make a real new xpac so we just make people run 95% recycled content for epic 2 xpac (doesn't include the recycled instances though half are from kunark xpac anyway just with level 107 or 108 mobs)
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

What about the expansion is 'recycled'?

Epic 2.0 has a bunch of pre-reqs in old content, but the expansion itself is 100% new.
  4. Tekka Well-Known Member

I took it to mean that the 'content' for one of the two largest selling points of the expansion - the Epic 2.0 (the other banking on the name Kunark) is just a replay (sometimes ad nauseam) of obsolete content, with an over all very small offering of new content. As well as the general complaint for several years of no siginificant new appearance, just recolors/slight tweaks of existing fare.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

All the vagueness astonishes me.

Domino has worked on nearly every EQ2 expansion, mostly on tradeskills but also other quest and event content, since 2008. Yes, she took a year off over at Trion Worlds to work on Defiance. That game was kind of a mess (not her fault, mostly due to having to release the same week as the TV show started airing) and she came back to SOE.

Last year, Domino had a hellacious immigration experience where the US claimed her work visa documentation was not in order. She was stuck in Canada for like 3 weeks waiting for all this to get sorted out before they allowed her to come back in the US. She had to have friends take care of her cat(s) and check out her apartment and stuff. I'm sure it made her seriously reconsider future trips back home (Canada) due to the potential and unpredictable possibility of once again being stuck. And that was before the recent political upheaval which I won't go into.

As for the Producer's Letter, it didn't say anything we didn't already know. There's always a Spring update, and there's always a November expansion that adds some new tricky complex progression system. What it didn't state is that the EQ2 team is going into expansion #14 with quite a few less staff than they had for Kunark Ascending.
    Dude, Siren, Sejreia and 5 others like this.
  6. Conifur Well-Known Member

Well, technically no. Though the zone was new and the mobs were new. You still had some old content that was required to start the Sig Line. The Epic 2.0 is also part of the expansion - so all that stuff is recycled old worn out content.
  7. Conifur Well-Known Member

I'll throw some more just for fun to play the game as well:

- They put out the sale for year long membership so they could get money up front and tie people into the game until around Sep/Oct '17.
    - They put in the Ascension system and the different upgrade system for those spells hoping people would not want to wait for the rare drops to do it the new slow way - so they pay real money to upgrade those spells. Not to mention they make some really powerful to entice people to go deep fast. Once again cash flow in early.
    - Epic 2.0 quest is "hard" because they say the weapon is going to be uber and BiS for 2 years so they want to make it "difficult" to get. They say 2 years BiS. How do they know that? Do they already have a 2 year plan or are they just not going to include any weapons in any future GU or Expansion? I think they know.
    - The spells you get with your Epic 2.0 are once again rare mats and a lucky drop doing the crafting dailies for the book. You can wait a week if you don't get the book hoping to get it next week or the week after, etc. or you can try to get others who have it to craft it for you and you have to do the PQ on your epic toon in hopes of getting the rare mat. You can just pay roughly $65 to upgrade each to GM using DBC or the slow boat to China method; I am told the difference between the basic and GM Conjy pet is about 200 million DPS. Once again cash flow in early.

All this front loaded cash flow is meant to get people invested now when the "expansion" is new so they can string them out all summer until those who paid the year memberships are about to end. They then tease with the new "project" to get you to stay knowing the next "project" will not cost them much to produce, they will still charge premium for it and that is the last thing you see from them because the investment company breaks it up and sells it for profit. So two years from now the Epic 2.0 is still the BiS because you got nothing new and they just recycled old content again. All of which they have known for awhile now but won't tell for obvious reasons. Hence the reason Domino is leaving the sinking ship while it is close to shore and the swim is not far.

How was that?
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

By definition pre-reqs for a new expansion won't be in the new expansion...

12 heroic instances, 12 solo/AS solo instances, more raid instances then we've seen in years..
    I'm just not seeing how this expac comes close to being 'mostly recycled content'.
  9. Adevil Well-Known Member

Is this due to the sunset of EQNext and Landmark, or something else that I missed reading about?
    Siren likes this.
  10. santargria Well-Known Member

LMAO - Wow, you EQ 2 players are spoiled LOL

In Vanguard we didn't get updates for what 2-3 years? And we still kept playing.

How would you like to go that long with no new content, no upgrades, no fixes and to placate the populace they allowed Randolf the reindeer (xmas gift) to fly year round LOL - now THAT was embarrassing if you weren't able to get one of the other prestige flying mounts for which you HAD to quest!

Yah, you guys are spoiled LOL!

Me? I'll take what it is and have fun with it until the lights go out or something more fun/interesting comes along.
    Adrihaen, Finora, Siren and 2 others like this.
  11. Conifur Well-Known Member

So, you use as an example a failed gamed.
    babettelabete and santargria like this.
  12. Feldon Well-Known Member

it's #FakeNews
    santargria and Adevil like this.
  13. santargria Well-Known Member

Yes I do - interesting isn't!
  14. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Looks official to me...

[IMG]

(This post is 100% made up, and intended to be humour. No Canadians were hurt in the making of this Meme)
    Dude, Kari, Tekka and 5 others like this.
  15. Conifur Well-Known Member

I think until Canadians start calling their "bacon" what it really is, sliced ham, they should all be perma banned.
    Dude likes this.
  16. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Nailed it.
  17. Havox New Member

Lol I think the only people who call sliced ham "Canadian bacon" are Americans... here where I live our bacon is the same as yours and our fried ham is called fried ham hehe
    Conifur likes this.
  18. Adevil Well-Known Member

19. Alarra Well-Known Member

I would just like to add that I love EQ2. I really just want to be assured that it will keep going.

The lack of news of Future development is seeding doubt.
    When EQ2 gets to the point of there will be no more updates at all, I will leave as there will no longer be anything to look forward to.

I live in Japan and it is one of my few outlets for speaking English to keep my native level up.
    I have lived in Japan for 8 years and counting, and will continue to. I work in a Japanese speaking only company with the odd translation work for international documentation.

I will not be choosing another English speaking MMO if EQ2 goes bye bye. It is I guess my first, my only and will be my last English MMO for whenever it does sunset.
  20. Adrihaen Member

Well, since you did. EQN would have been awesome had they simply taken original EQ with updated graphics (well, new character models were needed... those looked like a cheap Disney ripoff). Perhaps make a few adjustments so its not bone chilling lethal but the core is great. No need to make another version of Norrath since two is plenty. But EQ with those landscapes would have been cool. Of course that's not forward thinking enough. And I'd leave original EQ running since plenty wouldn't switch (if those character models remained, I wouldn't). EQ2 could use a fresh coat of paint too. That's really what they should have done with those EQN resources.
    Cragfire likes this.