Community Invitation: Controlled DPS Testing

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Entropy, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Talduke Active Member

I've been wanting to do this test on my home pc with no work distractions so when I do later today I will post an act SS with it zelox
  2. Zelox7 Member

@protips i mean thats why i said people should post their ACT breakdown, pretty easy to tell

thanks catknipz
  3. Zelox7 Member

sad i cant really participate in this because my characters are too terrible :(
  4. Lemilla Active Member

Channeler - leftside, keeping usual healing buffs up: 304,944,167 norm
    Channeler - rightside, spending all pet hp and dissonance for dps: 396,023,544 and 380,136,064 norm
    (and about 25% comes from weapon damage procs, so not really class dps)
  5. Rougez Active Member

I could have sworn it was in the post, sorry.

Ranger (leftside), both epic abilities master level with no deviations. I just switched back to left side about a week ago for testing after over a year of being purely right side. At some point I'll post a right side if for nothing else, my own comparison. It just means I'll have to go reforge again.
  6. Revanu Well-Known Member

It's nice to see a channeler throwing their dps input in. Phew! ;)
  7. Veta Well-Known Member

I figured data like this would come up for summoners as it doesn't take into account the stat setup outside of regular stats. Primary examples would be dps mod and stamina. The pet will gain auto attack dps, which will be its top dps on a dummy, but when it comes to higher tier content like t2+ raids or expert zones, it's auto attack will be around 4th or 5th of its total output. Soulburn's dps also scales off of crit bonus, health (scrolls will affect this, giving the pet +30k which will also be affected by %max hp), max hp (can be obtained through AAs and the raidwide buff just for having a pet out), stamina, and possibly primary stat and isn't working as intended. This doesn't include the necromancer's ability to give the pet up to an extra 40.4% max hp and the conj's ability to give extra base hp + 20.2% max hp. The normalized doesn't take that stuff into account, which will have summoners higher than they should be.
  8. Kioske Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Veta on that fact, about the pets. Pet DPS isn't being normalized on a mob that has almost no mitigations anyway, which is why I don't think it matters whether you cast debuffs on the dummy or not. It's never changed my DPS when I use my debuffs, because I don't think the dummy has any avoidance or mitigation. (Matter of fact, when you use detect weakness on an epic training dummy, it has health and strength listed and nothing else)
  9. Zelox7 Member

the dummy does have a mitigation value, and it caps out at a 1.5* multiplier on your damage with them, so 0 debuffs = 100 damage capped debuffs on dummy = 150 damage (i dont know the actual numerical amount of mitigation you have to debuff an epic dummy to reach the cap but it's ~ 3-4k? and I think the solo one might be less.) people need to be very aware of how theyre conducting their tests because just debuffs can make your class look 50% better lol.
  10. Entropy Well-Known Member

It's pretty easy to test with Strike of Consistency and a debuff-all ability to see if dummy has mitigation.

Points noted about summoner pets. I am aware and stated up front that this will be an imperfect test because we don't have a representative dummy on which to do a controlled test. Right now, this is the best option we've got. Results should be taken with a grain of salt, of course. The mob level, natural resists, and mitigation debuffs of real raid mobs lead to different outcomes. People being skillful with Ascension and Ascension-combos will also affect real world results. I am working with the devs to get a "real" dummy added for us, and we can repeat this. Right now we're going to see huge disparities (in terms of real DPS) between classes because of the essentially nonexistent buff package that the current dummy has - that will definitely be compressed on a KA-style target, and we can see if the margin (% difference from "top" class) stays roughly the same.

The point here is just to establish some kind of baseline (and maybe help eachother with cast orders if you see a big difference in output within a class). As long as we understand why results look the way they do, then a controlled experiment has some value.
    DoomDrake and Prissetta like this.
  11. Kioske Well-Known Member

Either your information is incorrect or all the training dummies have the exact same mitigation values and they are not a factor, because I just conducted a test on a solo dummy vs epic dummy with zero debuffs cast and the DPS output was almost identical. I then conducted the same test with an epic dummy casting all the debuffs I have, and the DPS output was almost identical.
  12. Kioske Well-Known Member

Still feel like it's negligible. It'll skew the stats less than your normalization will.
  13. Entropy Well-Known Member

No, if the dummy does have enough mitigation to the point where classes like Brigands can strip a bunch of it away, that will skew results. Like I said, I don't know offhand. A heavy debuffer can test this for us. Remember to drop your Ascension POT buff if you need to control your damage type for this.

Normalization of data does the exact opposite of skewing: it puts us on a (mostly) level playing field. It's meant to take differences in CB/POT/Fervor/etc out of the equation. Spell/Ability tiers and player skill will remain a differentiator.

What normalization can't do is fairly assess things like the Ethereal Ravaging proc, because there's a big difference between how different your DPS (with it procced) is from a baseline of, say, 0 Fervor, vs 100 Fervor. I can drop heartbound and strip nearly all of my Fervor sources and the stat normalization will eventually correct for that, but in one of those cases I'm doing "double baseline" (200/100) damage when Ravaging is up, and in the other I'm doing "50% more than baseline" (300/200). When the spreadsheet's normalization kicks in and adjusts my ENCDPS to the "120 Fervor baseline level" I had set, you'll get two very different results across those two tests. Moral of that story: if you have an in-combat Fervor buff, get your out-of-combat Fervor as high as you normally would when testing this.
  14. Entropy Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet updated with all data posted to date. Also included a section to average out people's results. WARNING: this is in no way a good reflection of relative DPS potential until we have a much larger data set to smooth out things we can't control for such as epic ability tiers and player skill.
  15. Yards Well-Known Member

test 1 dps = normalized 1,247,901,142

test 2 dps = normalized 1,264,485,940
  16. Zelox7 Member

Well i said the solo one MIGHT be less I was just guessing, which it isn't i tested it to check for you. Mitigation values are same on both epic dummy and solo dummy. (but they do have mitigation yes)
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Also what about Mages running the AA that increases damage to mobs. Resist Break I think it's called.

If that's increasing Inc damage on mobs by 10% for Mages, it's going to inflate their parses by 10% vs a Scout.
  18. Zelox7 Member

^
    also just want to point out that capped debuffs on dummy is 1.4* multiplier not 1.5 (it used to be 1.5 a long time ago but at some point it was changed to 1.4 I forgot about that) so basically how it works is for every 100 points of mitigation you debuff on a dummy you get 1% more damage up to 4000 mitigation for a cap at 40% more damage
  19. Kioske Well-Known Member

It's only 1% right? Same would go for left side spec'd necros too i suppose, or self UT for a mage vs a BL who might get UT in raid. Also the normalize doesn't take into account SDA, auto attack damage (including DPS mod, WDB, flurry).

I do, however, think it is a decent benchmark for a "ballpark" test. So I applaud Entropy for going through the effort and the work to put this together. I just wouldn't take the numbers with extreme seriousness.
  20. Yards Well-Known Member

The 1% won't count at all if your ascension is of a different damage type.