Coercer or Illusionist

Discussion in 'Mages' started by TinyRatongaofDoom, Oct 8, 2019.

1. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

I just maxed out my Necro and now I am mainly waiting for the next expansion to come out so I don't feel like I am wasting EXP doing the Myrist quests.. so I was thinking of trying either Coercer or Illusionist, but I don't know which one's better for DPS stuff since I hadn't played either in, at least, 8 years.

Although, I guess, recommending me any class is fine, I just like classes that don't take a century to kill something.
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Perhaps pump faster illusionist although I didn't play them. https://u.eq2wire.com Just look who looks better in range of 80-110. Compare equal levels of one and other class. I practically don't use this site because, as I see it, it "takes" not peeled data. Nobody runs naked and hungry. Correct me if I am wrong. Don’t choose coercer if you don’t like when mobs have an adequate answer for your toon (take look at previous topic https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...er-pets-get-no-aggro-now.590511/#post-6567824)
  3. Dilon Active Member

Well what exactly are you looking for in a class? Enchanters (coercers and illusionists) are considered to be one of the four main support classes (the other two being bards [dirges and troubadors], and as such they sacrifice some straight up DPS in favor of group utility.

I can only speak generally about illusionists, but they are typically known for having a good array of skills that augment the abilities of other casters in the group.

Coercers I can speak a bit more on. As far as pets, coercers get the ability to charm enemies and use them as pets. You can also cast "possess essence" and obtain a pet that way but it will typically not be as strong. Unfortunately quite a lot of enemies cannot be charmed, which really defeats the purpose, but in some zones at least, the charmed pet can do great damage.

Coercers get abilities that can improve the quality of your healers. They can also add a damage proc to tank taunts although it is relatively small, as well as a nice set of buffs to help tanks maintain aggro better. Thoughsnap and coercive shout also help significantly with aggro issues. Coercers get peaceful link and enchanted vigor which can help your DPS do better DPS. Mimicry is a nice spell for both enchanters.

They also get an array of abilities which help control power for the group, from persistent regen buffs, activated abilities, and procs.

Coercers likewise get a nice set of debuffs which focus primarily on arcane damage but can also debuff other resists.

There's also a couple of nice abilities to increase DPS of either one member or groupwide. When you complete either the Epic 2.0 quest line or the Chaos Descending quest line, you gain access to the Epic 2.0 abilities. One is charged warding which at ancient level can boost a groupmate's potency by 3500+. With the class rune that is now free on the ethereal merchant, you can also boost groupwide fervor by 50 for 8 seconds [although this ability is on a very long cooldown, and the chance to reset it with the proper AA selection is quite low].

Incidentally, the second Epic 2.0 ability is a coercer pet buff that procs significant damage.

So, does this all sound interesting to you and like a class you want to play? The trade off in my opinion for this utility is that the class abilities don't do anywhere near the damage of some other classes. You can generate DPS through ascension, mimicry, and your pet's epic 2.0 proc. But I would think that the class you are already playing is probably a bit better equipped to kill things faster in a solo setting.

If you want to do parse-topping DPS, go for an assassin or beastlord as they are tops this expac. The other good choices are wizards, warlocks, rangers, and monks. And before anyone weighs in that [your favorite class] can DPS too, yes, really every class can generate good DPS if the player knows the mechanics - the ones I listed are the ones that I think have the best profession/AA abilities to go along with ascension.
  4. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Coercer when new expac comes. Power feed will be a hot commodity again.