Coercer build

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Gator, May 25, 2017.

1. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I can't answer all of these, but I can say that it's missing a very important aspect of coercer: the hate control effects. You won't win any parses with it, but it might keep your groups porgressing quickly and with a minimum of effort if you:

1. mez anything that is attacking some dps person

2. memwipe anything that is attacking a non-tank, and announce (macro it) "Memwipe %t taunt now" or you can send the tank a tell, but I don't know how to set that up. For pugs it's better to just use /g or /r channel.

3. Enraging demeanor is a huge help to the tank especially if you're not in an expert. When I asked how to hold hate as an SK in heroics, the unanimous answer was "Get a coercer to go with you."

4. Mez stuff anyway, pure awe is very fast casting, who cares if people will aoe break it, for a few seconds the mobs won't attack and that's like a ward.

5. Use any redistribution of hate skills you have (I think I have two on my coercer but it's AA dependent), whenever they are up. People forget, or are in a hurry to parse well, so they ignore their hate dropping skills, and tanks hardly ever have enough snaps to keep the fight orderly all the time. That chaos is avoided if a coercer is managing the chaos actively. This is double important in places like contested areas where the mobs just keep coming from nearby or wandering into you.

Here's an AA one you might take: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Thought_Snap
    Another: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Coercive_Shout

6. How do you know that a mob is attacking a non tank? First you must know/memorize the tank's name in a pug. Then do what tanks do... cycle through the mobs (sounds like it takes time, but your pet is still doing damage and so is destructive mind, etc), set your Tab to be "Next NPC" and make sure your ranged item item is a symbol (so you don't pull things with autoattack, singular target is not enough to avoid this), make the target arrow large and more opaque if you can't see it. When you see a mob that is not targeting the tank and it is in the melee, memwipe it and /tell the tank or announce it.

7. If you're out of mez/memwipes, then fear it, better that then the healer should die.

As far as how to do the best damage. Spend a lot of time reading your skills, I mean hours. They stack very well, figure out a few stacks that work for you and separate out the DD spells (simple direct damage, not a dot or special). DD for quick fights, layer on some stacks of reactives and what I call "piggyback" spells (piggybacks have descriptions like "when anyone in the group attacks, you do X damage to their target"). There maybe a better word for that but I couldn't think of it.

Read up on combat mitigation debuffs and use them. Become heartbound and seek out other Fervor buffs. Use this all the time whenever it's up: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Peace_of_Mind The reason you have so many of these "does damage when your group does damage" skills, I think, is to give you the freedom to control the chaos.

Personally I use the Mimic spell (repeats the damage after monitoring it for a time) on myself only if there isn't someone doing more damage than me. I use it every time it's up. You can put the name of the highest parse in the group into the macro if you just right click and choose create macro. Don't need to add a step, there is a space for Target, put the beastlord or whoever's name there.

Mana replenishing: Do you have epic 1? If so, then the http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Mana_Flow skill will work perfectly except in fights where the mob strat is that it drains you fast. In such cases you may need to balance the mana out first, and then use the Flow, casting Channeled Focus when you can. Mana replenishing is essential, but it's actually the easiest part of being a coercer.

When played well, a coercer can take a marginal group and make it seem like everything is easy peasy. Next time people go there without you, they will be like, "what happened? why did we struggle / fail this time? " ;) The downside is they won't like your parse. Those group damage spells need some buffing before the coercers of today will dare focus on them and do all that chaos control. Well that's my 2 copper on the matter.
  2. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Did you mean 27 mils HP maybe?
    I can believe in 39 bls of total damage on a fight but not DPS. No matter how exceptional a coercer is it cannot produce 39 bls dps. If they would do it they would be one man band on all t4 fights. Send one coercer in and Trak is dead. There is a difference you know b/w total damage and dps.
    Anyway screen shot of parse is a great weapon against scepticism.
    Don't bother with short fights. Tell OP you actual parse on long fights. That would be more realistic.
  3. zionmount New Member

i do 60 billions dps in Temple of Veeshan LOL .
    forget about that already.

well um okay in KA raids, i could do 1.5 billions in most of fights longer than 1.5 min gets higher if the fight is shorter.
    with 34k pots.

the coercer has decent t4 geared in my guild could do 1.7b - 2b under exactly same overall.
    however the most of the damage is still coming from the ascensions.
    also the illusionists are always higher than coercer if they know how to do it right.

anyway the coercer isnt a good dps class in this expac, the other classes did more damage under same overall/duration & gears.
    i stopped playing coercer recently since our raidleader doesnt really like coercer(or me lol) and its difficult to argue with..
  4. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

They said 39 billion ETHERFLASH, not dps. Perfectly possible.
  5. Emmm New Member

Seriously, maybe I missed it, but did anyone mention Manasoul for group power mgmt? I hit that then a heal pot/stone and gtg. Fills the group easily, esp with 30M hp. You just need 1 point in it. #win
    Semperfifofum likes this.