Charm Clicky Suggestion: "Cast While Casting"

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Koko, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Koko Well-Known Member

An unfortunate feature of item clickys is that they cannot be queued. Additionally, because these items do not visually display their recast while on a hotbar, and that they are instant cast, it can be difficult to discern whether the charm activated. This is rather frustrating, especially in lag intensive fights, as the charm clickys now present very powerful effects.

However, Stone of Detonation avoids this feature by allowing the charm to be 'cast while casting' other abilities.

I am aware that the exclusion of this mechanic from other charms was likely intentional, as this is a powerful mechanic. However, I cannot see the introduction of this mechanic to other charms to drastically increase the power level of already dominate items. In fact, it may make some less desirable items (e.g. Sontalak's Claws) more useful.

Could Stone of Detonation's "cast while casting" be added to the other ToV charms as well?
    Naudi, Gash, Encori and 5 others like this.
  2. Glassjaw Active Member

I support this idea and would like to see it implemented.
  3. Foretold Well-Known Member

Me, too. I have to stop my heal/cast rotations and wait 2-3 seconds to see if the charms are up, then click them if so. That two to three seconds of doing nothing really does impact my healing and/or DPS...
    Athenia and Mermut like this.
  4. frox New Member

This fix would be amazing, I would love to be able to use these charms without having to stop everything else and hoping the group survives long enough for me to click a charm that is supposed to help my group survive. The way it works now is unreliable at best. If I try to click a charm in raid, theres a good chance it either wont activate, or takes too long that I just ignore it, or if I do just try to spam click the thing ill just toggle it right back off again. The effects are powerful and this would be a great way for those effects to be reliable and useful.
  5. Daray Well-Known Member

At the very least, the hidden recovery portion ought to be removed - to make chaining both charms in a single click possible (as well as more macro friendly).
    Chronus and Jrel like this.
  6. Iseous Active Member

This would be very nice, or at least remove the recovery part as mentioned above. With lag, I'll click it thinking I activated it, but since it doesn't queue, sometimes it doesn't activate, which makes it an unnecessary nuisance.
  7. slica Active Member

what he said
  8. Entropy Well-Known Member

I absolutely support this change. If an item needs to have a cast time to keep it balanced, then give it a meaningful cast time (like 2 seconds). Otherwise, if it's a short term buff like most of these, PLEASE give it to us as insta-cast/recovery, or, preferably, "cast while casting."
  9. Sylke Well-Known Member

I agree. The nifty bonus recovery "feature" is extremely annoying, especially during high lag situations like raids.
  10. TrulyVexed Active Member

^^^ I've lost track of the amount of times I've clicked the Aerakyn Novelty Card before charging RO and then found at the end of it that it hadn't actually activated and it's PRECISELY during these times that you haven't got time to be double-checking whether a charm has activated or not.

Pretty please with sugar on top, any or all of the changes above would be awesome.
    Mayia Dirgylicious, Naudi and Athenia like this.
  11. Snapshot Active Member

You can click Power Portal Signet during combat. I'm not sure if they fixed it, but when I used it at launch it would prevent me from casting for around 2 or 3 seconds from what felt like spell lag. If you ever used the crit bonus book in Accursed Sanctum it has the same laggy effect as the charm. I never heard anyone else complain about this, but the lag is consistent on my end.

Anyway, if clicking charms while casting will cause this lag effect, fix that first.
  12. Xellium Active Member

I have to agree that this is a rather large issue that needs to be looked at.
    As a wizard I'm rather sick of my FB chain getting borked in the middle by my totem of the hierophant.
    Then to boot you look up and your pre cast charm never activated either.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen more attention.
  13. Jrel Well-Known Member

I had two more "click but it didn't really click" issues last night again in Fabled LoLV raid zone. I thought it might be lag (as I posted about my charms in the this thread , but maybe something else is happening. One name had the same issue as before (Consolander, Mar 17, 8:11pm CST), the other was Doomsworn Zatrakh, Mar 17, 8:17pm CST (just before the Consolander).

Feeling very peeved again, it was time to try something different. What's the point of having Activated effects you can't Activate, right?

As a workaround, I found totally removing my charms from inventory and then moving them back in manually (instead of with a macro) before a named fight, seems to have temporarily fixed the problem of me getting faux clicks on pull (including totally greyed out for the fight, but really not activated at all). This workaround won't work, unfortunately, for the problems people have with the faux clicking during a fight.
  14. Darkon Well-Known Member

People are discussing two separate issues in this thread. Let me try to help detail exactly what each of them are, and why they are happening.

Firstly, charm recovery phase is frustrating, but it might exist to prevent you from pre-clicking multiple charms. I could see that being the issue.

Secondly, the more detailed and less obvious issue that Jrel/Xellium are having. There are two possible solutions causing your issues. I'll explain both of them below.

1. What you two are experiencing is the internal cooldown based on charm slot. You are pre-clicking a charm, then swapping into your 'main' charm, and trying to use it within the amount of time that the original charm would have still been on cooldown.

It wont work. Using charms pre-pull was 'fixed' a while ago, and is no longer worth doing. You should just wear your best 2 and use them at the most opportune times for you.

2. You are clicking charms directly after casting another ability. The charm is considered an instant 'cast' and it will not cast if you are during the cast of another ability, or during the recovery phase just after casting another ability. The best way to deal with this is to simply drag the charm onto your hotbar sans whatever macro you are using, and click it until it goes grey. Then you know it activated properly.

You'll eventually get in a rhythm knowing exactly how long you need to wait before clicking your charm, after casting your last ability.

I hope my explanations helped somewhat.
  15. Jrel Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the help Darkon:

1. Not applicable for me.
    2. That might be the case.

So far, I've only had problems with the charms on Consolander and Doomsworn Zaktrakh this week (from the two times on Consolander and Euktr last week) until I manually moved them around before Euktr mob this week. We raid TOV, DJMP, DC, and AS also, and my normal routine doesn't jack up on the names/fights there. So for me, it looks like something only happening in FLoLV during those fights.
  16. Koko Well-Known Member

Bump!

"Cast while casting" charms please! ^_^
  17. Tigerr Well-Known Member

Bump. Its insane going through a chain.. Hitting FC on the lock and clicking the charm 7 times for it to work.
    Foretold likes this.
  18. Amphlify New Member

Or at least start calling the "Castys" instead of "Clickys" Or change the text on the item from "when activated" to "When casted"!
  19. Gash Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.
    Not being able to queue these is very frustrating, and being able to use them while casting a spell/CA would alleviate a ton of missed clicks (mostly due to lag in my experience) and just make their use a lot more fun instead of frustrating.
  20. Koko Well-Known Member

I'll say pretty please with a cherry on top!

It also makes some items frustrating to use, such as Cube of Force. Because re-activating it cancels the effect (and being able to cancel it is desirable), it is not spammable.

There is nothing worse than wondering if your save went off or not. It is a very scary, and horrible, feeling. ='(