Celebrating 10 years of EverQuest 2: Looking at 10 Memorable Lands and Counting!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Afista_DG, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I started back with Trial of the Isle learning the ropes, but the 2 week trial ended before I could finish the zone, and RL sent a few more distractions my way. I started back up on a new account in early august of 2010. I remember starting out at Hate's Envy and seeing ghosts who were orange off in the distance near The Wellspring of Nightmares and thinking I was gonna get my **** handed to me. For a couple of years I was a total newb about my stats and what kind of equipment I needed. Good memories include when I was invited to my first guild, Crusaders of Freerealms, Doing KoS raid zones and RoK heroic and raid zones. First Gryphon ride from Icy Fingers to Thurgadin Harbor. Ah! the good ol' days!
    Schutz likes this.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

go on facebook to your photos. on each one right click and choose copy image location. then copy the location into the image window that pops when you click the image editor. it will show as a link there and as an image here
    [IMG]

[IMG]

very nice. it says 4 pics but these were the only 2 that showed.
    Armageddoux and Schutz like this.
  3. Schutz New Member

This screenshot was roughly taken the first month of launch. My first character, necromancer and I thought 5 silver was a lot of money. I had my pre-order jboots on and just barely running the game on a brand new pentium 4 cpu with HT technology and Radeon Xpress 200 onboard graphics. In the chat window there is a level 12 ranger lfg, someone trying to sell some elm and someone else seeking 2 more for a group. This was all done in the out of character chat, there was no broker or general chat or group finder option. The quest I am working on is an access quest to be able to enter Fallen Gate.

[IMG]
    Afista_SOE and Thimdirran like this.
  4. Armageddoux Active Member

Schutz likes this.
  5. Tameran New Member

[IMG]
    My guildmate Tarnorili is great at finding those old dungeons under Sinking Sands, some are quite beautiful.
    Everyone that wants to speak dragon has made the long trip down to see this guy
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

Wow, reading some of the comments in this thread has reminded me that I had started playing EQ2 years ago with my daughter. I had completely forgotten about that it was so long ago, and who knows what ever happened to my old account. I remember the starter island, and having to group to do some of the quests there...I remember corpse runs and carrying too much weight that would bog you down. I even remember talking to the npc to leave the starter island on the ship, and wishing I had stayed there for a few more levels after seeing what I had to face at the other end, lol. I was so disappointed to learn you couldn't go back once you left.The main reason I quit is the lag had gotten so bad, I couldn't even go to Freeport or Qeynos anymore without constantly locking up. The game had so much potential, but I could not enjoy it due to the severe lag.

When I started playing this again about four years ago, with some friends, the starter island seemed so easy to me, and I made sure I stayed long enough to be ready to take on whatever I encountered once I did leave. I remember the outlying area's of Qeynos and Freeport, and when I came back about a year ago, I tried to go into these zones, only to find they had been 'locked'. Oh how disappointing that was. I noticed the crafting system is a lot easier now, though I only vaguely remember the original crafting system. The thing I like most about the game now is not having to make those corpse runs anymore, though they did present a certain challenge. :D
    Schutz likes this.
  7. Gorjuss Member

When people start the whole remember when thing, and even when I am just passing through Thundering Steppes I always remember the hours I spent walking along the wall in the ravine in TS trying to avoid those skellies I couldn't kill because there were just too many of them :/ or the time I found Emerald Halls and thought, hmm what's this? I've never been in there before and immediately dying nearly on zone in hehehe
    Schutz and Naramsin like this.
  8. Ratza Well-Known Member

Gorjuss....I remember hugging the wall in the ravine to avoid those same skellies...and then having to hop the stone wall just right in order to get over it because I didn't have access to open the gate on the bridge that crossed the ravine.
  9. Avirodar Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the way the original crafting system worked, WORT's included. Comparatively, a max level tradeskiller used to be an accomplishment, where as now even the dev's admit it is merely a matter of a few hours (their response when the question was asked about "heroic characters" for tradeskills at SOE Live).

I enjoyed the way harvested rares used to be rare, and the stuff they made was great.
    I miss the nodes being scattered randomly, and who here remembers the fungus nodes? :)

Perhaps it ties in to experience with the game, but I also enjoyed the way the original release (and first 2 expansions) of EQ2 gave me a much greater sense of danger/risk, which made the rewards feel oh-so-sweeter. But with most overland heroics being slaughtered by mercs, I do maintain the sense of danger is not even a shadow of its former self.

I was not a big fan of DoF, mostly because of really bad armor appearances. But I had an absolute blast in KOS, and mostly enjoyed RoK. I would have liked TSO a lot more, if it were not for things like cure mechanics (curses and normal) combining in an unholy union with server lag... Yar, the server lag in TSO, SF and early DoV can go ****.

I miss the days where DPS did not have to have several dozen 0's at the end to be considered decent. And while some say its "just a number", the underlying issues have caused balancing problems for SOE on numerous occasions.

I enjoyed hanging out in Longshadow Alley, either on that raised center platform that had spiders on it, by the banker, or in the tradeskill zone. I was able to see and interact with a lot of people I would have probably never met in the era of Guild Halls. This was especially true on the Lavastorm server. From my view point, it made the game feel much more alive.
    Flatline and Tierisch like this.
  10. Ealasaid New Member

A lot of good memories for me via game and real life! One of the first online games my husband(my fiancé at the time) and I started playing together with. Our first guild was Brethren of Honor, but we were kicked b/c we moved to an area with poor internet. o_O Yes, my husband and I are still married and still play together! Almost ten + years later! :D
    Naramsin and Tierisch like this.
  11. Tierisch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean the island though, it's gone :(
  12. Lera Well-Known Member

Here's a couple more early pictures, including the first Nights of the Dead. In Nettleville Hovel. Yes, Hovel.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Afista_SOE likes this.
  13. Balbasur Active Member

14. rutro Well-Known Member

LOL! I do not go back quit that far..but...you earned it back then...also, a lot more people LFG :)
  15. rutro Well-Known Member

WOW! W. Freeport Gates OMG...I do go back aways :) Nice pic!!
  16. Thimdirran Active Member

Balbasur, where was this screenshot taken? I can usually recognize most places in the game and this one has me stumped. I assume you were about a level 70 warlock in this image?
  17. Balbasur Active Member

Opening to TS in Antonica :D

Blackguard use to be a pvp dev he supprised us and became lvl 100 and just stood there :) Then he turned attackable, nuked him and spring run lol
  18. Duolast New Member

Some great memories. One of my most memorable was standing in front of Venril Sathir for the first time not knowing what to expect.

Little did I know that I would returning for many weeks to come!!! But the feeling when he finally died was just awesome. I do miss some of the old game mechanics.

All in all its been an incredibly enjoyable journey, I miss the real big expansions like Kunark. Some of the more recent ones have been a little light on content.
    Afista_SOE likes this.
  19. Luanne Active Member

I miss the old game mechanics too. The game is too 'easy' now. There's no sense of accomplishment like there was before.
    Everyone is just too powerful, fights are too fast. Very rarely do you need to ask in chat "can someone help me with this quest" any more.

Why do all MMOs seem to start out difficult, and then get increasingly easier with each xpac? If anything they should become more challenging. More referring to everything else besides raids, because raids can still be challenging but a lot of the mechanics seem "cheap" now compared to before. Most of the new xpac raids simply require big dps and heals, occasional jousting, curing, and clicking things or killing adds. There is nothing really complex about it, so the sense of accomplishment is diminished.
    Seefar likes this.
  20. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

My husband (then fiance) told me I had to get this game called Everquest 2. I had never played an online game before. He also said I had to get the collectors edition because I would love the game so much. I was so scared. I couldn't even walk around correctly cuz all I would do is spin in place. I had to auto follow him for the first two weeks.

When we got to Thundering Steppes for the first time we met two people Maz and Mik. The four of us hit it off right away. We grouped together every night after that. We had every HO down pat and had our timing perfect. People would wait in line to be the other two people in the group. We would be able to fight red mobs all the time. I used to have nightmares of running through Enchanted Lands and having Eyeballs chasing and killing me or my friends to get to Runny Eye. Probably didn't help us staying up much much too late cuz one of us would be like I am about to ding...just a little longer. Husband and I almost had the music from Thundering Steppes playing as wedding march since we loved that song and had it memorized from all the time we played in that zone.

There was another time when we created our evil toons and were playing with our other two close friends we met along the way. We were in the sewers and one friend died and didn't want to have to do a shard run. The three of us that didn't die spent 2 hours trying to get to her. When we finally did...she was drooling on her keyboard.

I remember when I first got a gaming computer many years after launch and was in Thundering Steppes and got all excited....When did they put skulls in the riverbed floor! Hubby was laughing....it has always been that way! Hubby still will come over to look over my shoulder if I am in an older zone and he will be all excited "I remember that zone". He always says he should start playing again but sadly he is too hooked on Planetside 2. Good good times.
    Afista_SOE likes this.