can we get a pause button?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by suka, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

I put feedback on the forums all the time knowing I will get the usual blowback from some players. Sometimes what they post is very entertaining as it shows they didn't even begin to read what I wrote.

Change can be very frightening to some people--even tiny changes that don't affect them personally. A pause button, for crafting, is simply a convenience for those who live chaotic lives due to children, pets, work, unscheduled visitors, etc.

For example, I get medicine delivered 6 times a month (thanks to my skinflint HMO) so I have to run to answer the doorbell when it rings as I never know if it is the pharmacy delivering medicine. Most of the times it isn't but I can't take that chance.

To get to the door I often trip over two dogs, several cats, and maybe a ferret or two. It is a dangerous game we play but everyone loves to greet visitors as life is pretty dull around here.

Because of the chaos, I don't group as it wouldn't be fair to my group mates. When I'm crafting, however, I'm the only one involved so the chaos doesn't spill over and spoil the experience of adventuring for others.

What possible effect would my being able to pause a regular craft have on anyone else? If they don't want to pause a craft they don't have to.

I'm not suggesting players be able to pause all crafts--just the run-of-the-mill ones. The devs have already added all kinds of heroic-type crafts, such as experimenting, for those who like to live dangerously. If enough people enjoys those type of crafts I'm sure they could come up with even more dangerous ones.

The thing about MMOGs is that they are dynamic and change constantly to meet the needs and wants of players. A pause button is a simple request that would help a lot of players without altering the game in any significant way.

To my way of thinking, the only question about adding a pause button is whether the programmers have the time to do it. Frankly, I'd rather have them add the pause button than put slits on dresses that gave some women players a sense of modesty in their toons (no, I'm not one of them but I know many wonderful women who hate the slits).
    Lateana likes this.
  2. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I just don't think it's feasible to put a "pause button" into a game where you interact with others and the environment. I know its "just crafting" but there are still some things that can't be paused since there is risk involved in what you are doing such as failing the combine.

I am an avid crafter, raider and adventurer. I don't want anything more to differentiate me from non-crafters.

If I am in the middle of a battle with a named in a group and the doorbell rings, why can't I hit a pause button and make the instance freeze!? Oh the phone is ringing, let me pause this raid, mid-fight and make 23 other people wait. Sounds pretty silly to be able to do that in an MMO. I think this game is "solo" enough without adding something like that.
  3. Avirodar Well-Known Member

With how trivial it is to gain the resources used in run-of-the-mill crafting combines, it is not worth worrying about a common combine failing in order to get your medication. One is important (the meds), the other is not (a common combine).

Also, as I explained earlier, the justification for a "pause" function is no more warranted in solo crafting, than in solo questing, solo dungeons, heroic dungeons, or 24 man raids. The Dev team is now smaller than ever. With such, I would rather see their time invested on other matters.
  4. Petewilly New Member

I don't see any harm putting a pause button on the trade skill window. I doesn't effect anyone but the one crafting.
  5. Laiina Well-Known Member

Crafting is meant to be a timed and/or ongoing event series. I seriously doubt that it as simple as inserted a few lines of code to put in some kind of pause. And the fact is, what you lose from common combines is so trivial that it is hardly worth worrying about losing.
    Moonpanther, Finora, Mermut and 2 others like this.
  6. silex New Member

Wow, a pause button in a online MMORPG. REALLY
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I never thought I would be in a position to fully agree with an Avirodar post*, but when someone brings up a very good (convincing) argument in favor or against something, then I must agree with it (I'm not very good at lying to myself, and I'm too blunt to lie to others very well, either - not even when it would make things easier for me).

As Avirodar indicated, the two situations aren't even comparable. One could very well affect one's health (or at least severely impact one's quality of life). The other is barely a blip on the figurative radar. No common component takes very much time to replace.

* I don't know if this means (a) Avirodar is mellowing, (b) I'm becoming more cynical, or (c) it is just a coincidence**.
    ** Probably c, although b isn't that far behind in likelihood.
  8. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I'm voting for option C. Both of you making sense simultaneously HAS to be a coincidence.

To OP, sure a pause would make life simpler...I had that back in Baldur's Gate before I started playing EQ, and it was awesome.

Hit pause and go tend to the pets who are screeching at each other, forget I left the game running and get up next morning...oh, now what was I doing before I paused that? Definitely not something "useful" in an MMO context, at least not IMO.