Can no longer see agressive mob names

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by AnotherForumName, Mar 15, 2017.

1. AnotherForumName Member

What this means: is that I used to be able to see Green /con mob names at a distance of around 30 meters and now they only show for me between 9-10 meters (just like grey /con mobs). Ex: in Butherblock Mountains the Yelpsnarl Whelps that con green and will attack will now only show their name when I'm practically on top of them and in attack range.

When did this start: after it was suggested I checkbox the "Full Download" (instead of Streaming the game)

Things I did attempting to fix the problem (every bullet point I logged in to see it has fixed my problem and none worked):
    • Under Option > UI: I made sure NPC names was set to 'Always'. It was.
    • Zoned to reload UI.
    • /campe
    • /camped again and restarted the game in Admin mode
    • [soft] Reboot of computer
    • Hard Reboot, shut off power, and waited 5 minutes (to clear memory and bios)
    • Validated Files in Launcher
    Now the extreme attempts that I didn't want to have to do:
    • Reset all settings to default in Options (that alone would of been awful because the number of hours or days it'll take to get everything back to how I want it)
    • Deleted my_name.xml ui
    • Uninstalled game and reinstalled game so it would Stream again
    Now at this point things are getting very bad because this new reinstall runs at 5 FPS (I was at 170 FPS prior to this). Let's continue on; remember I'm still only trying to fix the distance I can see mob names
    • Deleted the folders inside the cache folder
    • Deleted the eq2_recent.ini & eq2_default.ini
    • Deleted all of the above again AND EverQuest2.exe
    • Uninstalled the game and reinstalled the game and did Full Download again (my ISP is hating me)
    ...and I give up now. Absolutely nothing will fix the bug I'm having. I would like to note that the very first time this bug happened I changed absolutely nothing on my end aside from selecting Full Download in the Launcher.

TL;DR Aggressive /con mob names no longer show until at ~9 meters instead of ~30.
  2. AnotherForumName Member

Is there somewhere else this game stores files other than \Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest II?

Can someone please try recreating this issue? Will need a windows 10 computer and Nvidia card (I'm using a GTX 1070 with 378.78 driver).

1. Install a fresh copy of the game so it's in the default Steaming mode
    2. Log in to the client so it run once
    3. Log out and start the Launcher again
    4. Select Full Download under 'Select Game Version' (US English)
    5. Log in after the full game client is on the computer and streaming no longer occurs

At #2 'Aggressive' mobs *will* show the name at ~30 meters distance but because the game is streaming it renders the game completely unplayable due to extreme stutter. So streaming the game is not an option; apparently I had steaming on but somewhere a few years ago I had all the content already downloaded.

At #5 'Aggressive' mobs *will not* show the name until at ~10 meters.

I just tried this on my wifes computer and recreated the bug.

3. AnotherForumName Member

Side bug and warning to all. I felt this is very important to mention though not related (at least I don't think it is). At one point before my first reinstall I decided to try clicking the Game Configuration I desperate hope I could fix this bug and it opened a game configuration menu (seems to be from mid 2000's era) that I changed nothing on and simply closed with the [X] button in the top right on the window.

By opening this menu and changing nothing it changed all settings to the absolute lowest and some extremely;y small resolution display. At that point, even though everything was at Minimum, my FPS was at 5-7. I changed everything back to Maximum and the FPS remained at 5-7 and I started deleting the cache the .ini's and EverQuest.exe. Nothing would fix the FPS issue until a full reinstall.

TL;DR Under no circumstance ever press Game Configuration unless you like extreme troubleshooting with no resolution.
  4. AnotherForumName Member

Oh and I might as well throw in a super fun fact! lol

Why did I do this, mentioned in my OP?

The original problem I was attempting to fix was this bug: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...eeps-changing-when-i-click-the-screen.574979/

By the way it did not fix it and now I'm stuck trying to fix other WAY MORE EXTREME bugs.
  5. AnotherForumName Member

Ok one last note, and sorry I'm replying to my own thread so much (but it's at the top already so not necessarily a bump)

Distances I could see mob names prior to this bug:
    • Grey Con and regular NPC names: ~10
    • Aggressive, green con or higher: ~30
    • Any mob that was being tracked for a quest: ~50
    And now:
    • Grey Con and regular NPC names: still ~10 (correct)
    • Aggressive, green con or higher: ~10 (incorrect)
    • Any mob that was being tracked for a quest: ~50 (correct)
  6. AnotherForumName Member

Ok! So now it's far worse and the distance I MUST be at to see *aggressive* mob names is now exactly 5 *when they start to fade into view.*

At a complete loss of what to do.

Why did it become even worse?
  7. AnotherForumName Member

This video sort of shows what I'm experiencing.

But my problem is far more extreme then that because I have to be TWICE as close as this person.

The only way I can see a mobs nameplate is to:
    • Target the creature
    • Hover over the creature
    • or, NOW, be at 5 meters away (was 10-11 just an hour ago WHICH was still incorrect)
    Please help

----

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/npc-name-view-distance.548798/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/fix-distant-name-plates.564292/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/mob-and-npc-render-distance.4140/
  8. AnotherForumName Member

9. Zyllos Member

I am sorry to necro this old post, BUT, this is STILL happening 5+ years later.

The streaming version of EQ2 pulls the correct files but when downloading the client, it is pulling incorrect information and the name plate render distance is WAY too short.

This is a bug that will cause us, and our group, to leave playing the game. This is literally a small stupid issue that is easily fixable by just making the downloaded files point to the same information as the streamed files.

Daybreak, please fix this NOW!
  10. Omni New Member