Caith corrects Roxxlyy's post: It's not a "traditional" PvP server that's coming!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Siren, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Siren Well-Known Member

Yessssssss my precioussssssss...... All Right Outta Sight !!

(have Discord post)

CaithToday at 5:16 PM[/COLOR]

Fixed "To clear up misinformation - there are no plans to break classes into being "OP" with this expansion, and we have no plans to launch a new "traditional" PvP server."

[IMG]
  2. Whiomaju Member

1. The PVP server idea is a no go simply by the fact that the player base is wafer thin as it is and can't afford to be split further.
    2. "OP", or flavor of the expac, classes are here to stay as DBG has been utterly unable/unwilling to address the problems inherent with their approach.

To those of you planning to play next expac, Good luck.
    Meneltel and CoLD MeTaL like this.
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

The PvP beta that Kander originally said is coming, is still coming, it's just not a "traditional" PvP server, per Caith tonight on Discord as shown in my previous post.

Either it's a time-limited TL PvP server (maybe with a special PvP mode), or some sort of new instanced PvP or something.

Well, some PvP is better than none.
  4. Cragfire Well-Known Member

Non-Traditional could mean a new PvP title as a twitch action based e-sports battle royal which is loosely based on the EQ2 franchise.

Good of a guess as any. With servers merging, there is just not the population in the game to support another server, let a lone a niche pvp server. Getting people back into the game from the pvp pool that left over the years is also unlikely. But make a EQ~Overwatch styled game, it would bring in fresh blood (for better or worst, if it dose at all).
    Rhodris and Dude like this.
  5. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Or a mobile platform as per their new controlling interest (NantWorks).
    Mizgamer62 and Dude like this.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

On Discord, Kander just said the new PvP beta has nothing to do with the 15th expansion, and that they're going to announce it soon. Jeez these poor guys work late!

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)]eagerly.waiting.for.fallen.gateToday at 9:40 PM

I'm waiting to sub until this PvP beta hits. Kander, do you think Daybreak will run a multi-month special for the holiday season (NotD through Frostfell or even through Erollisi)?

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)]MirtToday at 9:41 PM

wait pvp beta? they are bringing pvp back?

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)]eagerly.waiting.for.fallen.gateToday at 9:41 PM

Not in a traditional PvP server....but something PvP is coming up. Caith mentioned it earlier.

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)]MirtToday at 9:42 PM

interesting

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)]eagerly.waiting.for.fallen.gateToday at 9:42 PM

I hope it's soon, and a sub package for the holidays to coincide with that and the expansion would be totally awesome! That would pull in a lot of players.

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)]KanderToday at 9:42 PM

We'll announce beta soon. the PvP stuff has nothing to do with Expac15.
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

I think this is an addition to Everquest 2, I really do. Kander wouldn't be announcing a PvP beta soon to us if it was on some Android or iOS mobile platform. What would PC EQ2 players have to do with that?

The heads of NantWork, that new company branch that's doing the new H1Z1 spinoff, etc. would be announcing it, not an EQ2 dev. Kander also wouldn't mention it in the same sentence as Expansion 15 if it was a completely separate game and not a new part of EQ2.

I figure it's a new A.) limited-time TL PvP event server for EQ2 or B.) some sort of new PvP instancing, perhaps a permanent addition to EQ2.

It's exciting either way-- and a lot better than no PvP.
  8. Curby New Member

I've never much cared for PVP. Having said that, I did somewhat enjoy the way it was done in SWTOR. Huttball was lots of fun and the CTF/Attack&Defend matches were pretty good too. (Didn't care too much for deathmatch though). If it's something similar, I'd consider giving it a shot.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  9. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Just bringing back the original battlegrounds would be a nice boost for the game.
  10. Roxxlyy Community Relations

As it goes, work is being done on a more non-traditional PvP server which will function more closely to an event server than a regular game server.

However, the plans are certainly not set in stone yet, and we don't have a launch date nailed down. There is a timeframe we have in mind internally, but I'm not comfortable sharing that as it is fully possible that this could be pushed back. The server will also likely need to go through a thorough beta phase for testing and to gauge interest before it is decided whether or not it will actually be pushed live, among other things.

Edit: In short, it's best not to think of this as an official announce but as an insight into development.
    Biotic, Pharone, Rosyposy and 4 others like this.
  11. Siren Well-Known Member

Thanks, Roxxlyy!

Personally, I like open PvP the best, so I'm glad it's that (even in a time-limited fashion), and not some sort of instanced PvP BG mode.

Develop all you want, Daybreak: We'll be here waiting to try it out when you're ready. :)
  12. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

There will be plenty of people (myself included) ready and willing to jump into pvp beta.
    Siren likes this.
  13. Siren Well-Known Member

Right? Let's face it, it will be a madhouse. I imagine we won't be hearing anything more about this until after the new expansion drops, but I'd love to be proven wrong there. ;)
  14. SynnikuL Active Member

Daybreak should look at history and just give up, once and for all, on their efforts to do PVP.
    Lateana, Heijo, Rhodris and 3 others like this.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

If at first you don't succeed....try try again.... ;) If you don't want to PvP, then don't! :)

Open PvP servers are always fun for like 6 months. Then everything falls apart. So really, a temporary event server is probably the best bet. At the end, maybe we could take home custom PvP titles and some unique vendor items or something.
    Alway likes this.
  16. Svenone Well-Known Member

PvP can be fun for a game designed from the start to support PvP. EQ2 was not designed for PvP, so it always will feel like a hacked in afterthought to me, and I have no interest in such a thing. If that is your "thing", have at it I guess, but I won't be a bit surprised to see it crash in flames within the year after it launches..
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  17. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

Before they add PvP they really need to sort out the class balance and combat mechanics issues in the core game.
    Siren likes this.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

A PvP game needs to be built from the ground up with balanced classes and well-thought out PvP mechanics, and at the same times, ways to minimize the impact of toxic players. PvP was never a really good fit for EQ2, because it was pinned on like a tail to a paper donkey, and about as substantial.
  19. Steelviper Active Member

There is PvP working in, and tied into the game, in Elder Scrolls Online. Admittedly, with all expected problems like huge lag spikes during weekends and people not happy about many things (can't appease everyone as always) with in-game stats, but it does work. And supposedly, Elder Scrolls Online wasn't made with PvP in mind either when it started, but it can work, and that without separating PvE from PvP via some different weird gear functions between two game modes, or ultra-complex rules you've got to memorize. Everybody can do both PvE and PvP to their liking within the game, same abilities, same gear, your choice, and you can use rewards from PvP in PvE as well.
    It isn't for the lack of willing to try that both PvP and PvE can work together in a game. Sometimes, you've got to have the spine and push through with your own idea no matter what, and see what you can improve on. Players will follow, if there is an idea good enough to follow and they see devs "do" have some idea about what they're doing. And they've got to be able to listen to players at the same time. Not every company can keep that kind of difficult balance act.
    Siren likes this.
  20. Raenius Well-Known Member

You guys really should consider to provide optional pvp (flag/unflag your character at will) on existing servers.
    There is no shame to mimic that feature from other games - its quite standard.

And to be honest, ANY event-server which will just bloat achievements/unobtainable missions on regular servers are undesirable - at least for me.
    Use an existing infrastructure you can work with before you start to re-re-re-restart something "new" on another server, which will probably die at some point anyway.