Bring back the Alfa Gear

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Verrie77, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Verrie77 Guest

The human race in this Alfa looked ALOT better than the current one. And the gear that the female weares is somthing they should bring back and work abit more on imo.
    They would do some really nice bits from it.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mustang8259 Guest

Yah if only... I think the only part they kept is the recycling and stretching for all models over and over and over again. But from what I understand they've posted somewhere that this next expansion Sentinel's Fate is supposed to add more models of armor than currently even exist in the game, so i'm keeping my fingures crossed for some really awesome stuff.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rorasis Guest

What I want to know is what happened to the part where all humanoids use the same armor. Don't they constantly make the excuse that they have to custom fit each armor set to every race and gender?
  4. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Riliszkas@Splitpaw wrote:
    Funny thing about alpha, not everything that is supposed to work does when it comes time for the real world. If I recall, the auto scalar didn't work as planned and the armors diplayed in the alpha test were bringing PC's to their knees.
  5. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

What I often wonder is what happened to the bodies & face of human females between then and release

I do have hope for the armors in the upcoming expansion. I really hope for more helm looks. I miss the velious era helms like the dragon humans got, the antlered helm of the woodelves and that cat looking helm high elves got... /crosses fingers
    More intricate and cool looking body armor would be a plus too of course. I've always wished for something a little more ...wild looking for shaman and druids.

**edited because I apparently can't spell anymore**
  6. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

I, too, was noticing the human female face (I'm very big on faces) and thought wouldn't that be nice. Nice armor, nice facial features. O, well.
  7. ARCHIVED-Nayawk Guest

I see a few things I like in that, the shoulder and skirt pieces on the skelly guards work well, but I don't think thats what people talk about whenever this video pops up every 3 weeks. Its Paladin Barbie.
    I think I might be the lone voice on this.. but just no. I honestly think that armour looks like the low end poser/daz work you see out there.
    I have no problem with wanting to see new varied armour, just not that.
  8. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Nayawk wrote:
    You're not the only one. When I first saw the alpha armor (that specific armor), I remember rolling my eyes and writing EQ2 off as even a potential place I would want to play. When, nearing launch, I saw more realistic looking armor, I was was glad and did give it more than a second glance.
    I'm not a prude and would like some more robe options, but chain mail and plate mail bikinis might be okay in a painting by Boris just not as the standard fare for what all females would be forced to wear as some teenaged boy's fantasy. A woman warrior should look like a warrior, not like a burlesque dancer.
  9. ARCHIVED-Cragger Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Your opinion. Its all fantasy anyway.
    Options to address everyone's taste is all I've desired. Some want skimpy some don't. How you dress your character is none of my concern.
  10. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

That alpha armor had to be thrown out because most players couldn't afford PCs that could handle those textures back in 2004. It really was that intensive on your computer's performance, so they scrapped it and went with what we have today.
  11. ARCHIVED-Verrie77 Guest

But shouldnt todays PC's be able to handle that grafic abit better now?...atleast give the face back that the humans had.
  12. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Verrie77 wrote:
    Considering Eq2's graphics engine and memory management.......no.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ghostfeather Guest

Personally I don't care one way or the other with if they want to institute sexy scantily clad gear or not... It seems like with the addition of GPU shadows and some of the other work they have done with the latest announcements at fanfaire they are working to make the game more in line with the direction technology has turned and EVENTUALLY we could see the visuals step back to their "early conception".
    Considering when the game hit a pc required to run what they were lookin at was mad expensive, and now most hardware is being built to handle it(and more) I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't that far away. Especially with so many other MMO's chasing on the tails of these games and biting off bigger and bigger chunks of their fanbase. I wouldn't put it past SOE to flip up the ace in the hole and slam the gaming world with their original vision, fully rendered in game, and capable of running solid on standard hardware people buy today.
    (and of course keeping Video options available to turn the game back to what we are currently using, or less, so as to make the game available to hardcore and older gamers alike.)
  14. ARCHIVED-Rorasis Guest

Ghostfeather wrote:
    This doesn't really matter. EQ2 still clunks and stutters on the best hardware. If it couldn't run on hardware then, it probably can't run on hardware now. The engine just doesn't work well, and it doesn't do much to work with new technology.
  15. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

This is why we have the graphics dev.
  16. ARCHIVED-Rorasis Guest

Dragowulf@Nagafen wrote:
    I'm sure shader model 3.0 is going to make this game run perfectly smoothly, just like newer games such as Aion. Oh, wait... Not. This game is and always will be a clunky mess.
  17. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Mustang8259 wrote:
    It was not posted by a dev, it was stated as such in the Everquest 2: To Infinaty and Beyond Panel that the folder holding all the Armor Models for Sentanal's Fate has more Unque models in it then all we have currently in live, when you add up all the expainsions. They also gave a specific number to how many new Creatures they currently have made and that was also a fairly large number...I don't recall specifically what it was though... Calthine(From Zam) may have an Audio recording of that panel and if she does eventually I am sure she will be posting a transcript of it.
  18. ARCHIVED-guillero Guest

That is bull and you know it. I sense pure trollage here.
    Sure EQ2's engine isn't the best when it comes to todays technology standards (performance wise and effeciency).
    But the graphics dev is doing a good job.
    Turn off multicore support and run CPU shadows and then switch to multicore support and GPU shadows and you definetely see a big performance increase!
    My FPS almost doubled with multicore enabled and GPU chadows.
    And I have one of the first AMD DualCore CPU's.
    My girlfriend has the AMD Tripple core and she has roughly 5-10 FPS more then me. That's quite a difference if you ask me.
    Jer
  19. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

Jerokane@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Yes and one of the reasons why he was adding Shader 3.0 is to increase the perfomance and optimize the way Shaders work currently. And he's still tweaking the GPU shadows, giving more to handle for the GPU, and hopefully add a little more Multicore support for those with 3+ processors.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rorasis Guest

Jerokane@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Shadows kill me no matter what settings I use. I have a quad core at 3.47ghz, and two 9800GTX+ 512mgb cards. SLi on or not, GPU or CPU shadows, no matter what I use, performance still sucks. Even with shadows off, the game is clunky and just downright slow.
    However, in a new game like Aion... I can run everything maxed, sit in a crowded city, and get 40-60FPS constantly.