Best level to start the PGT quest?

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Reevanthara, Apr 22, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Reevanthara Guest

Everyone swears up and down on this weapon so I have decided to get it. I am 24th level and shouldn't have a problem getting the Fir or Ash stave. Whats the best level to start the quest? None of the guides I have looked at have said when to get it. Also, other than this, the SBD and the SSoY are there any other weapons I should be looking for?
  2. ARCHIVED-Nalini Guest

Depending on your level and tier, picking up some crafted weapons or your delay choice is always nice. Lower tiered crafted variations to match skill as needed. Pristine crafted to fit your tier is always a good option, and many can argue that they are just as good if not better then quest dropped weapons. Questable weapons Im thinking the most I used were pgt/sbd/yak/treedins skinning knife. PGT can be used all the way to 50 and still remains a staple offhand weapon when I solo. Once your at the raiding stage or on some various named mobs the PGT does become out of date and your not able to hit, youll then need to be switching out to crafted or a higher level weapon to replace it in those circumstances. More then likely in those circumstances thats where one of the others mentioned gets switched in. Also once your at raiding levels you should start to see some Epic weapons dropping and then can start reworking your Quest dropped weapons out for these. As long as your maintaining a variation of 2 slash/2 pierce weapons as leveling your fine. And theres nothing wrong with hanging on to weapons that at first dont seem as usefull as a new one you just picked up, you never know when your going to come across a Named or encounter that your top notch weapons in hand simply wont hit.
  3. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

As for when to get the quest: as soon as you can. Earliest (I think) is level 25, and you have to have completed a few things first, like giant language.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kiare McKenna Guest

I think 29ish would be a good time to start--I'm a late bloomer on this quest and am now 34 and still trying to find the patience to harvest granite pieces. Grrr..
  5. ARCHIVED-Lornick Guest

I'm sure you've seen walkthroughs on ogaming or the quest section. The problem with doing it at 25 is it's going to take alot of help. So your going to have to convince a group to go kill waves of dogs at Tarby and kill gnolls in timed event. You should be able to solo the hundred skels, but you'll need prolly 2 groups of people at that lvl to handle the octopus in cove of decay (access quest version, so either you need to do that quest too or find someone who's done it to get your lil raid inside). If your in your upper 30's you should be able to do the whole thing solo except CoD.

If you have the friend power, I'd highly recommend doing it as soon as possible though. Fantastic weapon, even at the high levels it's worth off handing for the proc alone. Autoattack dps will suffer, but the power regen on proc will allow for more combat arts for overall increase in dps. So you'll be using this thing even at lvl 50 until you get golden efreeti boots, prismatic weapon, or that power regen robe. (manastone is great also, but it doesn't compare to those. It's great supplement to have with them though)
    Message Edited by Lornick on 04-22-2005 08:19 PM
  6. ARCHIVED-Dlirium Guest

I started at lvl 28 and had my PGT by lvl 32 - the lvl you can first use it. It's an awesome weapon. I leveled a lot on Giants - to get the language quest done. You'll need help at that level, but my guildies were available a lot.
  7. ARCHIVED-cult22 Guest

Same here, and at lev 40, I still use it when soloing. It's an absolute "must" imo! I can only see it being replaced at lev. 42 when both the SBD and SSOY will be availabe. Even then, it might come in handy :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Reevanthara Guest

Just an update. I started the quest at 25th as soon as I could. As of last night I am 27th. Many, many hours later I have 6/10 granite...man these things are rare. The upside is that literally all of my harvesting skills are maxed, and I camped Bloodtalon and finished the DWB while harvesting.
    Tonight I plan on finishing the granite, the skeletons and doing the CoD access quest. This is one of the harder heritage quests, but seeing as how the reward is great its time well spent.
  9. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Heh, I started late - only barely got the language drops since back then they were chest-only :/
    Finally finished at about level 34 or so, had a heck of a time finding anyone with COD access and eventually got it myself. Of course, I'm lazy too - level 41 and I still don't have my SBD or jboots ;)

A few things to keep in mind as you get to the proper stages though: first, the skels - take the solo content near Varsoon, much easier than the double-ups elsewhere in the zone.
    Then, the timed gnoll phase - though it can be done at other places, the easiest place to handle it is at the shrine east of the Chief.

CoD is just a pain in the nethers and I wish you luck ;)
  10. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

At 42 I still used the PGT for soloing, swapping to the SBD when in a group and set up for output. Even then if I found myself hurting for mana in a combat, I'd swap it back in. =)
  11. ARCHIVED-Reevanthara Guest

Well last night I hit 28th and I got it by killing 100 skeletons and 25 Skindancers. So now I am up to the Octogorgan part which I will be doing with my guild in the next few days. I didn't realize that in the process of the chest I would get two more decent axes that I could use at level 30 =)
    Should get me by until I get the PGT! Speaking of good weapons, what level is the SBD usable? I did the quest with my defiler, but never looked to see when it was usable. How about the SSoY? Whats the level requirement on that one?
    Thanks for all the help!
  12. ARCHIVED-Asteroids Guest

I believe its 40 for SSoY and 42 for SBD.
  13. ARCHIVED-SlumLord Guest

14. ARCHIVED-Skurry Guest

Polished Granite Tomahawk, a kick [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] dual wield axe, aquired via a heritage quest that starts in Thunderings Steppes.
  15. ARCHIVED-Raidi Sovin'faile Guest

Just wanted to pipe in since I don't see anyone saying things have changed.

Just did this quest not that long ago (just before the last big update). Started at lvl 29, and leveled up to 32 on my own on the side waiting to some parts. This quest has become much, much easier:

- Giant Idols drop of corpses. I was grouped with a friend killing green ^^ at first, but when he left I killed grey solo giants and got the 4 idols I was missing in about 30 minutes.

- The skeletons between docks and the bridge are mostly solo now, and will definately be grey. I finished the gate quest killing those skeletons (just delete the quest until you get skeletons again). After I got the gate quest, I took off to the graveyard in freeport and got the other 70 or so skeleton kills in about 5 minutes. They may fix this later, but right now it's just skeleton kills, not skeletons from Thundering Steppes.

- Harvesting now is guaranteed to yield the 3 items. Granite updates when you get something only, so you are guaranteed 3 chances for updates per node.

- You no longer need a fir stave, just an ash stave and a sparkling flower. Which is easy to get when clearing things for granite (fungus, bushes, roots and logs can all yield flowers).

- CoD access is only required from one person. This helps immensely, as the quest for this is something of a pain.

A note on the granite pieces... if you are not yet KoS with centaurs, I've found that you can get a spot all to yourself right next to the skindancer gnolls that if you keep clearing of everything, will respawn nodes rather quickly.
    Alternatively, at level 30 (if you choose the speed training), you can outrun pretty much anything, and run from one place to another gleaning windswept stones.
    I did a combo of this, and got the granite pieces in about 2 hours. When done I had 110 harvested items exactly... so we are looking at an update rate of about 1/11. The hardest part is really just finding the silly nodes.

Happy granite hunting!
  16. ARCHIVED-Turb0T Guest

I discovered by accident that skellies anywhere seem to count.

I reeled off 100 in the graveyard zone of freeport in under 15 mins.

For the granite, I parked myself in TS2 quite late, went afk and came back 2 hrs later and the zone was almost empty. Helped no end.

I did the quest by L30.

Good luck!
  17. ARCHIVED-Reevanthara Guest

Yay! I finished the quest this weekend and it dinged me to 30th level. Can't use the axe for two more levels, but I am excited nonetheless.
  18. ARCHIVED-Phloryte Stellar Guest

Don't forget... you can't equip it for quite a while if you're 24th lvl.
  19. ARCHIVED-Beldin_ Guest

Lol .. i really think its one of the easier heritage quests, cause you don't have to camp any nameds for endless hours and you don't need a group if your level is high enough. Try the screaming mace for example, then you will see how easy this quest was ;) The SBD quest however is also very easy since there are only triggered spawns ;)
  20. ARCHIVED-Asharad Guest

I would recomend starting every hertigate quest as soon as you can. They are good experience even if you aren't going to use the item. You'll kick yourself if you spend a couple of hours grouped killing Mob X for experience and then get a heritage quest, only to discover you need to kill 20 of Mob X.