beaten by a random number generator

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Tanktop, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Tanktop Member

My two cents about the the ethereal loot crate and its contents and general drop chance

The last month i have grind out at least 5 ToV mission zones almost every day. With the daily that makes 6 missions a day that makes almost 1000 mission under my belt and don't have any ethereals to show for.

Now that the weapons are released some say that the jewelry has been removed but i can't get that confirmed.

My question is, how unlucky am i, or how rare is it to get a ethereal item to drop? i have buddies of mine do only a few missions a week and have 3 and some do double mission and have 11 in total.

I know, poor me i didn't get the shiny thingy i should just suck it up and move on, but i notice a pattern, another thing is the drop rate of the Sparkling Fabled Gemstone. in all the dailies and weeklies. My tank, healer and scouts got more than 6, but not a single one on my coercer. and that one is on a separate account. But thats the thing, i can buy them if i want to.

so i’m wondering is it worth spending my time trying to grind even more to get a weapon. or are my accounts just doomed never to get one.

I just feel bad being beaten by a random number generator.
  2. Malleria Well-Known Member

What I really wish they'd do is as well as the RNG assigned ethereal rewards, also put in a really long and difficult quest that rewards a no-trade ethereal. It's really frustrating that effort is a secondary factor to luck in progressing in this game.
    Ranga likes this.
  3. Anghammarad Well-Known Member

I know your pain... tried to get potent shoulders for Ang... took me half a year...
    And no... couldn't turn in 7 wrong shoulders... because I only got helmets... on EVERY toon.

received in that 60 month about 5 potent shoulder pieces... rest helmets. Then finally the right pads dropped =)
    Ang was a happy Inqui then.
  4. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

They will never add quess for these items because the amount of quests and the difficulty of them would require a lot of Development time that is not available to the team at the moment.

It's been stated before when asked to add quests for other things.

So we're stuck with an RNG system for the best weapons in-game that drop outside of raiding. Elemental dmg weapons > Crushing/Slashing/Piercing
  5. Ucala Well-Known Member

the fact that it's even in the ToV missions is a mistake, Artifacts should first off
    1. be better items
    and 2. not be in a RNG system
    Kraeref, Wirewhisker and Bloodguts like this.
  6. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

For once Ucala and I agree with each other. Damn you SoE.
  7. knine Well-Known Member

Should go back to being put into drops of named and make them heirloom..more chances for everyone and less selling on the market which is what they don't want to happen... sure you will have your SLR... but you have to get all 6 peeps to agree on that in the first place.
  8. Tanktop Member

I agree, the chest is just a easy way for the team to adjust the loot with out adjusting all the loot boxes of the mobs.

I see that it is just a method to keep players engage and playing during summer but there are always others pulling the short straw. but its another ting making you costumers feel cheated out of something really want,

a thousand mission and counting and still noting is in my opinion not just bad luck, there is something going on and i'm pissed of about it, i know for one thing, i'll be looking at loot distribution before i buy the next xpac, i can guarantee that
  9. Tanktop Member

This is just my gripe on the hole ethereal equipment, you make it way too rare for one, and others are swimming in them. and buying it for ten thousand plat from someone is not an option for most of us.
    I come to a point that is not worth my time in the game during summer, and is best to unsub and steer away from eq2.

i’m now playing some steam summer deals i bought, meant to play but never did. :)

And really its just stuff that is relevant for just 4 months tops
  10. Iseous Active Member

That's pretty bad luck. Although I'm pretty sure for the time you spent doing 1000 mission crates, you could have spent it making 10k plat to buy one.
  11. Tanktop Member

Thats not my point, this particular post is about what frustrates me and players around me. last years summer ethereals was a big frustration as well. and look at the 7 page Sparkling Gems thread, ppl get frustrated about it and i share concern that this is the new trend of loot distribution.

Its like the 300 million status mount, only about 10 in the world can afford it. but you know what it cost and you know how long it takes to buy one, i played for 10 years and i got about 100mil status. so i can buy one in about 20 years.

Alternatively you buy the mystery stratus bag, again you let SoE random number generator pick your luck.

i don’t work in marketing but i don't think frustrated customers is a good thing, at least its not helping me spend more
    Kraeref and Bloodguts like this.
  12. Gregore Active Member

I'm with you! Although I did get 2 ethereal jewelry pieces to drop. I sold both of them for 8k plat each, as I needed the plat to aid in gearing up my 9 toons more than two really nice items. I've run countless weekly and DD missions to get the sparkling gems for the dreadlord armor that I bought with my ethereal plat, but have only looted 7 to date. I did have enough dragon papers to buy an 8th, but think 2,500 dragon papers is rediculously over priced. The status requirement for this new mount is rediculous as well, but the mount is really nice to a casual raider like me. I plan on buying as many of these status bag thingys as I can afford in the hopes that the RNG will be kind and reward me with this uber mount!
  13. Sallid New Member

To be fair, they are supposed to be quite rare. Thats why there have also only been a few artifacts disco'd worldwide.

In my experience you shouldnt be trying to get them. Youre gonna ruin the experience of getting it when you do. You'll get it and just say "about time" sell it and move on with your day. Just play for fun and hope you get one! Good luck!
  14. knine Well-Known Member

You're right.. supposed to be rare... then i inspect people on server and see that they have 3.4 items on one account... i even know a few people who have gotten 3 on 4 different accounts in less than 500 runs... then the opposite side.. people running over 1000 instances and nothing.. rare is one thing.. but down right luck because of a number generator is another..
  15. Cinnamon Active Member

The number generator needs to be random for everyone, not just a few select people. However they do this, it needs to change periodically for all players if you ask me for it seems the same people are the ones who get the lucky roll.
  16. GIndotto Well-Known Member

I've never seen so much debate and passion over something we have no control over: Luck. LOL! How do you folks deal with luck in real life? /wrist? Whoever stated that you should be playing to play, and not to farm Ethereals is absolutely correct. If you get one you're lucky, if you don't get one you're just normal! Doesn't mean you suck at life, it will be ok! :cool:
  17. Ruckus Well-Known Member

On top of having a small % random chance that you get one of the ethereal items, you should also get some sort of a token for every dungeon you run as a reward for the effort and that you're not walking away empty handed. Once you run enough dungeons and save up your tokens (that are heirloom), then go to an NPC and buy the ethereal items that you want. Don't make it a super low number to purchase the ethereal items, but also don't make it an insanely high number.
  18. Estarriol New Member

Can anyone confirm that etherial jewellery can still be found in mission crates? Or as of lately the new etherial weapons have replaced them and jewellery will no longer drop? We used to have some on the broker up for sale, but those had been bought out and there were no new items since then for like 10 days already. Would be good to know, since I want specifically jewellery and don't care for weapons. Would save a lot of time not having to do these missions with 3 chars each day.
  19. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the jewelry no longer is in the crates. the only thing in them is weapons. they've stated that a few times now that basically the crate switched from jewelry to weapons,and if you didn't get a piece of the jewelry, then your just SoL
  20. Gnomad_Madgon Active Member

Perhaps going forward with these a hidden achievement could be added.. Just an example, lets say a goal of X number of ToV missions resulting in a no trade version of the non artifact ethereal of the players choice. Set the number high for the time period they will be available but not too high ;)! Then perhaps reset or add new achievement for the next ethereal crate in game. Just ideas I know nothing about the technical end of making this stuff happen.

I understand people should feel lucky if they get one of these, but many people chase these items creating a frustrated customer for you and bitter play for the community. In addition currently ethereal weapons are the only means for a Heroic player to attain a weapon with a Cyan slot(Cyan adornments already available to heroic players in contested HK).
  21. Tezu New Member

I run the same 6 man group every day and its a running joke between us that a certain member is the luckiest. As of yesterday this person has gotten 4 ethereal weapons out of the 6 total we have seen drop. That is all part of the RNG system. Folks need to understand the difference between random and probability. You also have to consider these Ethereal items are "cookies" they are not required to complete current content. (same with war runes)

The current system is hands down way better then previous expansions. I just wish the mission reset timers were shorter. This past weekend we had no missions to do so we just logged out. This late in the expansion completing the missions on the weekends means you don't have much to do. Yeah I know we could log to alts but if your playing the class you like switching to an alt just isn't as much fun.