Battleground: Balance of Theer - now on a Beta Server near you!

Discussion in 'PvP & Battlegrounds' started by Caith, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Tippysaurus Active Member

for console. while sitting on a bed of nails.
  2. Tippysaurus Active Member

Clean up the community that you are stealing from. Maybe it will take longer for others to find out.
  3. Maergoth Well-Known Member

While I agree that this is on it's way to being a worse BG than the scrapped one, I don't think it's irredeemable.

Add some falling blocks. Rebalance the point gain / tiles. If adding a third team is really impossible, then consider adding more depth to the arena.

http://www.eq2flames.com/battlegrounds/63467-battlegrounds-arena-suggestions.html

I posted this suggestion back in.. 2010? Holy crap. I've been playing this game that long? I was hoping that 4 years later, it would have been done properly. I still have hope.

However, silly comments like the above are worthless. Nobody is more disappointed than I am. I promise.
  4. Mopeygothic Active Member

A 3rd team? How about 4 teams and twice the amount of tiles..

In all seriousness, I like the bg, it's different. I wish the red tiles would spawn as randomly as the others and not just by edges of board. Also change the debuff/buff towards other tiles than green actually providing a tactical advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation
    kronich likes this.
  5. Tippysaurus Active Member

More blue server ideas. Lets add dragons next. Then have falling rocks to joust. Does no one on any server want to PVP anymore like pre-warfield EoF SS Docks, KoS Island brawls and RoK Epic King of the Mountain writ giver bloodbaths?

Please keep PVP and PVE separate.
  6. Mopeygothic Active Member

Deck 16
  7. Schnooky Member

I like the new zone.
    But the white/yellow square shouldnt pop immediately, figure a 15s delay would be perfect.
    Toning down the damage on that tile might help, but keep in mind as it stands now two good healers(stress the word good) can carry an entire grp on that tile while taking damage from the opposing grp.
    Put a serious cast speed debuff on the white/yellow tile and problem solved.
    just my 2 cents.
  8. Eragahn Member

I think what would make Theer really cool is to make it where up to 4 different groups can fight each other / control of the "white" square. Looks like the map is already set up to where it could do that. I don't know anything about coding it, but I would assume if you can code in 2 different groups, it shouldn't be too difficult to code in two more and give them other colors. Since currently there is the red and blue team, add in a white and black team (or yellow and purple, or whatever).
  9. Maergoth Well-Known Member

A 4-way king-of-the-hill for the white tile with falling tiles is what was discussed initially. They said they couldn't make more than 2 teams.

As for the silly "Keep PVE ideas out of PVP" post.. battlegrounds are not true PVP, and are not limited to PVP players. If people wanted that "true" pvp, they would be on Nagafen.

Instead, there are less than 100 people on that server. Many of which are vocal.

Do you know what happens to the democratic process if the vocal minorities are catered to at the expense of the masses?

People don't do battlegrounds because the process of putting a team together (which is fairly required for "fun" play) , switching AAs (Which can't be done from within the battlegrounds) and equipping and reforging an entirely seperate set of gear (constantly, as you upgrade the pieces) is tedious, and doing more than the daily mission isn't worth the effort without double tokens.

PVP succeeds in MMOs when it is a venue for people to show off their accomplishments (PVP AND PVE) in a competitive fashion. Not when it is a separate entity "minigame" that requires hours of time sink to properly participate in.

It's the PVP people complaining about PVE gear being too functional in PVP that have chased away the PVE players populating the battlegrounds. And when there are no PVE people on battlegrounds, PVP people are required to populate it (And they will, since their gear functions better). And if PVP people are in battlegrounds, they aren't in your open world PVP pipe dream.

The more effective PVP gear is in battlegrounds, the less open world PVP there will be. Considering them both on the same playing field, when battlegrounds are a PVP/PVE hybrid population is a bad, bad idea.
    Corydonn likes this.
  10. Tippysaurus Active Member

I respectfully beg to differ. PVE procs and gear were used for YEARS in PVP. It was when SOE got lazy and stopped utilizing the PVP check marks to curb procs for PVP that the decline started for PVE players. Instead of thinking ahead for PVP SEVERELY OVERPOWERED procs were released to pretty much utterly destroy PVP. It was why many on Nagafen turned to raiding solely to get these procs and adorns. Then when the masses were using them rather than take the time to fix them for PVP they removed all procs from all PVE gear. Only to add complete sets of gear and hence the gear separation we have today. All of their efforts then went to PVE with PVP players having to wait months / years for fixes to what they broke. PVP was thriving on all servers through RoK and TSO. It was around the time of Miraguls release and then SF that began the death of PVP. I don't know what meeting happened around that time where they said we no longer care about PVP but I have been hanging around in hopes for a change. Unfortunately it has taken a sharp turn for the worst when PVP players are begging for help with a broken product and were slapped in the face with this abomination of a BG that was not thought out whatsoever. It isn't even creative. It was a remake of an old zone released to appease people that have been playing the same 3 BG's for 5 years. How this is acceptable to any paying players is beyond me.
  11. Spawnie Member

Let's stay on topic, this BG, and reasonable fixes. With some minor tweaks it can be both a fun and fast BG.
    Save the PVP/PVE blogs for the other threads.
  12. Maergoth Well-Known Member

I'm not saying procs and effects can't be tweaked into balance for PVP. I'm saying there's no reason to wall people out of BATTLEGROUNDS, which already suffer population wise, with arbitrary PVP gear farming which only one or two servers will have access to otherwise.

Battlegrounds are not simply PVP. It's a whole different beast.

THIS particular battleground suffers from a lack of depth and poor pacing. I don't think it's unreasonable to turn to PVE style changes like environmental hazards.
  13. Tippysaurus Active Member

What I am saying is that there are enough problems with the existing mechanics that are not being addressed. Why is time being wasted on poorly paced, poorly planned, depth-lacking carbon copy new Battlegrounds? Fix the matchmaker system. Fix the broken PVP mechanics. Nerf the broken class in PVP. Fix what is there before releasing new junk.
    Mowse likes this.
  14. Maergoth Well-Known Member

First, that isn't the purpose of this thread, but I'll bite. Fix what broken mechanics? Fix what broken class? Fix what about the matchmaking system?
  15. whytigr New Member

My guess would be that Tippy is talking about guardians as the broken class. Some people believe that guardians should not be allowed to DPS while other classes, in his case beastlords/shadowknights, should be able to kill everyone with reckless abandon. There has been an ongoing debate that guardians are broken because some players are able to 1-shot lesser geared / inexperienced players. Guardians are NOT broken and regardless of the position the other camp takes, there are many ways around this so called flaw in their ability to spec for pure damage. It has been and always will be my position that there are "uber players" of all classes which can also 1-shot lesser geared / inexperienced players and that is just part of the game, whether it be in Battlegrounds or "open PVP".

The fact that people get mad because another player is able to consistently kill them, seemingly without retribution, in my opinion does not mean that a class is broken, but rather shows lack of actual strategy on the part of the player complaining. There is ALWAYS a way to kill another player, regardless of spec, gear or play skill. This was all sparked because Nayen was repeatedly tag teamed by 2 people working together to kill him (as shown in his screen shot on his complaint thread) and has since grown into a wild fire of an issue. It happened that those two people were getting tired of being killed repeatedly and managed to come up with a strategy which apparently worked so well that it pissed off a lot of people. I say, too bad so sad, that is PVP.

And, yes, Battlegrounds *IS* PVP and always has been. PVP = Player Versus Player, and that is all you can do there. Being from a dedicated PVP server does NOT make you a better player than someone from a PVE server. Comments continually made regarding this is clear and utter discrimination. Joining the dedicated PVP server is absolutely no different than being on a PVE server these days as there is either no population or the opposition hides in instanced zones to avoid PVP conflict.

My opinion is, enjoy the game for what it is. People who complain repeatedly in forums are consistently the people who are causing the imbalances which they are here complaining about. If there is a bug, then sure, /petition and provide data so they can be addressed. Personal grievance complaints resulting in your demise by people who probably don't like you should not be considered by the development team.

As for this new battleground, it is terrible and I am sure that many people playing it would agree. This is just my opinion, but I find that it is overly complicated and as people don't take the time to learn the rules of the scenario, it is very frustrating watching an otherwise good team lose due to point drain by one teammate that refuses to listen/participate. It is not fun, even in the least, regardless of how fast it can be played or how many tokens you can farm. I won't even go into the Battlegrounds anymore on days where this is the daily quest as I feel as though I am forced to play it. Whatever happened to the 18v18 tundra? We should have more choices as to BGs as there are more people who play them than one might think. Limiting the choice to 3 (now 4) has been a hindrance for a lot longer than 5 years, but since the removal of the tiered system, it has only grown worse.
  16. PattonFrench New Member

I wholeheartedly agree. My earlier, less than constructive comment was born out of the frustration of just having gone through several Theer matches. If your team can't out-heal the damage of the white/yellow tile in the first minute or so of the match, the match is likely to go the entire time, as it's difficult to get to 80 points with kills alone, and the mechanics make the map more and more frustrating as time goes on. I appreciate the attempt to liven things up with a new map, but this map is counter-productive and is only driving people away.
  17. Creasote Well-Known Member

Nagafen pvp is for sure not the greatest but the competition is far better than any BG que. BGs are just token farming fill Inbetween Warfields. There are plenty of stacked groups fighting in the same WF during certain times of the day. I find too many poorly geared bad players in BGs to consider them competitive. They are definitely a lower class of pvp.

The new BG is a weak form of pvp. I don't que it unless it is the daily and even then once I get the win I am out.

The Warzones are a much better form of pvp but because you don't get loser tokens, they are not as popular.
  18. Schnooky Member

Theer needs a mercy rule where if one team drops to say -50 the other team wins instantly.
    The full length 80 to -157 matches suck.
    Lol at the idea the guards arent just a little OP right now.
    Right now, a guard in reckless working with another tank that does all the taunting is the most deadly PvP toon in the history of this game.
    kronich likes this.
  19. Corydonn Well-Known Member

And all that reckless guardian damage is mitigated by just having a tank who taunts. I've not once been mad/upset that a guardian rips through my team unfairly because it doesn't happen. The only thing OP about them in reckless might be the stoneskins and 100% damage reduction for a second on each one but that's something OP on every class.
  20. Schnooky Member

So the problem is tanks that dont tank? huh?
    You could use that as a counter argument to any mmo class imbalance discussion on the internet.
    Check Defenders Charge in ACT for either PvP or raids and tell me that's as intended.