Bastion Challenge

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by slippery, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

Wasn't there something along those lines for Tuskers and Haldain Moonraker Challenge? You had to follow the script but subsequent times you were offered a "right click" option. Also the new drain mechanic while fun is making EM extremely hard to avoid going HM due to the rate of drain and refill on the tubes. We barely managed to off him before the 2nd pillar shatters at 6-8 Million dps. Though man that hate-switch is annoying, going from 1st to 24th is a real knockout for a tank.

I coordinate with my OT and 3rd Tank and we can manage this wipe mechanic with all but 1 instance. Me, the SK, and the Monk are shuffled to be 23rd, 19th and 17th on the hate lists all at once. None of us have 16 positional hits that take less than 8 seconds the closest being the Guardians Reinforcement (1 position per hit) and in those 2-8 seconds we average 4-6 squishies dead and 1-2 "death empowerment" buffs. If this happens twice the fight is over.

Baelon does this too but at least he is range-manageable. Bastion having such a close quarters fight just spins and wins. I understand guilds can kill it (if it doesn't bug) so kudos to you. Having to spend hours fighting with glitchy mechanics however is not my cup of tea. Also if you killed it please have an image of the achievement or your guild because I certainly won't believe you as GP site is beyond accuracy anymore.
  2. Orienne New Member

Fair enough. On my server, Unrest, my Coercive Shout is often times completely blocked by this guy and when it does land, it's only landing for 2 hate positions and ~42k AE threat, when it should be 5 positions and 75k AE threat. Our tanks are having this same problem, dropping their hate snaps and being outright resisted. Imagine using 18 positionals and him resisting every single one as a tank, what then do you do to get the mob back? Couple all of this with the fact that this happens every 30 seconds and there is a hard death cap and there are a lot of potential problems unless you get super lucky with all hate positionals working, or the tanks never dropping to the bottom of the hate list from the shuffle.
  3. slippery Well-Known Member

Come on man, I know you aren't that dumb. Mem shuffle completely screws Crusaders as they don't have the snaps. If you don't have Guard + Brawler you're pretty much screwed. Even if you do, you could still be screwed. 21 positions for a guard if you want to get it back you're going to try to time Reinforcement so that it is up when it wipes, Rescue for 8 positions, Recapture for effectively 2, and then mash taunts and CA's as fast as you can for the positions from Reinforcement. Even then you're talking 3-5 seconds minimum of the mob punching other people in the face.

You can't even say time positionals, because then you're even more likely to waste them. One tank might only be 3 positions down and can get it with a single snap when it could be your turn and you are wasting everything. It's an absolutely terrible mechanic. There's a reason that in 8 years of mem wipes things haven't worked like this, especially combined with the death penalty.

It's fine punching other people in the face. It's not fine when after 24 deaths you guarantee wipe regardless if that last death was just a single person and the other 23 in raid are alive and kicking. That's dumb.

Crusaders especially get screwed by this. A mechanic that punishes you for having certain classes instead of others of the same Archtype is terrible.
    Neiloch likes this.
  4. Karagon Active Member

We did it just with 2 monks + SK in recklessness all time.
    1 memwipe for one monk, 2nd for another. 2nd monk was an alt. We did good also with monk + guardian as well previous day before kill.

With crusaders it's much harder i agree... But it's fair - crusaders are better in some other fights. But nowadays a lot of people have brawler alts. So i don't see a lot of problems.
  5. slippery Well-Known Member

So you don't see a problem with the fact that even though you had 2 tanks online, you had to bring in an alt of a different class because you wouldn't be able to do it with the one you had.

Ever having to sit a main in raid that fills the same exact roll in raid for an alt because of a bad mechanic is a monumental fail in design.
    Neiloch likes this.
  6. Karagon Active Member

Also before using positionals i dealed some damage with 2 autoatacks and 3-4 CA's. So don't need 15,19,21... positionals really. Do need dealing damage to get up to the 10th position in agrolist fast - then get the mob back. Even if i was on the 20+ position after memwipe - it wasn't a problem for me.
    Also using damage absorb/deathsaves/equillibrium and etc. in groups where is the person who is the target of mob - so it don't die for 3-4 sec's helps a lot.
  7. slippery Well-Known Member

Which also requires certain classes. This is where all this stuff bombs. Oh you have a Fury instead of an Inq, sorry you're screwed.
    Neiloch likes this.
  8. Karagon Active Member

Our best SK has monk alt - for the mobs where monk is better. He has it for 2 years as i can see. Just for such fights. Maybe it's dumb mechanics, but role of some tanks in raid is different. There is no universal one nowadays - like was Zerker in SF, or someone else in other expansion. I think it's ok that you need slightly different setup for different encounters.
  9. Karagon Active Member

I think i'll never ******* understand why fury is in some raids since DOV lauch :)
  10. Karagon Active Member

Wanna max mage dps? well - you pay survivability for that. Wanna max tank DPS? You pay lack of positionals for that. And so on... It's quite fair imho.
  11. slippery Well-Known Member

Right because stacking Inquisitors in every group is a clear sign of balance and good design for raid encounters.

Edit: Not to mention that your statement is entirely incorrect. Furies bring more defensive stuff to the raid, raid encounters just tend to ignore it. They buff dps in an entirely different way, and in a way that tends to be less. Inquisitors are the dps class. Furies add a ton to wards, plus ae avoid. Inquisitors can get Equilibrium, something that probably never should have existed in the first place because of how it completely trumps AE avoids since they tend to not block half the stuff anyways.
    Neiloch likes this.
  12. Hennyo Member

I really think one of the absolute biggest issues of this fight is right here in this quote right here, and it is being completely ignored.

Without meaning to do it, this quote right here shows how this was fight was done, extremely extremely slow burn. There is a reason positionals were not used right away, the total dps was so low that raw threat ability did a lot more. If this mob took 14 mins, you had the entire raid at an average of around 75k dps each, which is just flat dumb to handle an encounter like that.

I am sure others could go into better detail why this mechanic is so bad it makes my head hurt, but I will leave that for them.

I will say this tho, after carefully thinking about all the things you could do to kill this mob, there are enough tricks with an extremely stacked raid that this could die as it is, but frankly, I don't ever see any other guild in the entire game doing what is required to kill it as it stands, because its just that bad of a fight. I am not sure every trick that was used, but anything from stacking deathsaves in every group, to using tricks like having ever non tank turn on walk for every wipe, but every trick I can think of, isn't one any raid should have to do.
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

The memshuffles are doable with tanks (trust me I do it on Baelon) It is aggravating as heck. So what if your 3rd tank is now 3rd on the list. Without all 4 tanks throwing 1 positional and hoping it goes to 1 of them its totally random. Blowing additonal snaps is like throwing a stoneskin because your healer died. Now you don't have that skin/snap for the next one for at least a minute. As a guardian if I blow EVERY snap I have.

I get 8 from rescue and 2 from Sneering within 1 second in this 1 second the boss is now past me and halfway to the raid. Unless it is Baelon who has massive attack range then he is already in range.

I then throw recapture and Cry of the Warrior which by luck is not resisted there is roughly 4-5 more positions. Again a second has passed now the boss has auto-attacked the raid with AE auto and possibly killed 2-4 mages.

Now out of quick snaps I have to use Reinforcement and get in 6 more combat arts to get the final 6 positional hits. I need to go from 21's in raid to 1st. In this time the boss has now either gotten 2-4 auto-attacks off or is now AE'ing on the raid or about to.

So in the time it takes me to go from bottom to top not counting dps (which can usually get you over 2-4 healers) The raid is now half dead and he has 2 buffs on him. I now cannot do this again for 2-3 minutes while Rescue comes back up. If he by chance memshuffles again like this I must rely on the other 2 tanks to do something because I am dry for hate. I have watched raids die because I run out of snaps due to excessive wiping/shuffling me to the bottom of the hatelist.

As a tank its infuriating. Sure new mechanics probably require DR to help but you can't DR a mage for 6 seconds of sustained damage from a boss and have him live. Not even my fully charged Champions Interception does that easily and that is 50% DR!
  14. Lous_mun New Member

i got to agree with slippery about bastion out right ignoring or resisting taunts i MT raid on my Guardian and to see a resist on an 8 position rescue with its recast even having my reuse caped out or resisting cry of the warrior and sometimes sneering assault as well its about bloody annoying for this fight. you want to let him resist fine recycle the spell immediately don't sit their and make me have to wait for it to refresh normally as if it hadn't been resisted..
  15. Chronus Active Member

It would seem a guild on Sebilis (Osanpo?) have killed it now, judging by eq2u latest items feed. Yay for ninja-ing in the loot fix so it drops HM loot.
  16. scousetroub Active Member

i hear that this mob now dropping CM loot from EM script ....grtz on the fix !
  17. Hennyo Member

Well, I basically think I know how this is being killed, but since another guild killed it, maybe I am overlooking something. If not, I still think this encounter needs at least some adjustment, and that the mechanic behind it is still as dumb as it was when it first came out as it is today.
  18. Estred Well-Known Member

The encounter of HM Isn't too hard actually. Hennyo I think you are just missing part of the script. Every fight I have ever thought "oh these mechanics are just so stupid" eventually we found the real strat or it was indeed broken and fixed later.
  19. slippery Well-Known Member

No, the mem shuffle is stupid.
    endertank and Neiloch like this.
  20. Raethen New Member

I think EM is now broken as well. The drains seem too fast and much slower to regen.