Ask Me Almost Anything on Reddit today

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Dulcenia, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Calthine Well-Known Member

It really reminded me of the dev chats we used to host on ZAM IRC :)
    Spindle likes this.
  2. Endymion Developer

Part of the problem was that we were getting hit by a post rate limiter; one of us would post and someone else wouldn't be able to post for another ten minutes (spoiler alert: I usually won that race!). It was something we didn't anticipate, unfortunately.
  3. Arieste Well-Known Member

Thanks for the AMA, yes, please do more! And while everyone has their own opinion, I for one am thrilled that DEV team isn't wasting their limited time and resources on useless and severely limited appear junk like the isle of refuge and new starting zones. Now if they just stopped trying to invent the mousetrap and build a completely unneeded and never-to-be-used-no-matter-what-it's-like dungeon finder, they'd have that much time to spend on building more and better content.

I'm kinda disappointed among all the mount questions, nothing was said about being able to use all these funky mounts in appearance slots. As much as I like the bunnies and the cows, I've basically stopped buying any mounts because I can't ever use them. Content requires me to use a high crit, which means flying mount, so no matter how many cute bunnies i buy, i am still stuck using a flying mount for stats that can't use the bunny in the apperance slot. Perhaps we can have the game's main stat mounts (i mean really, there are only 3 - the Sig mount, Ragefire and the ToV clear mount) be convertable between Flying, Land and Glide (without changing stats), so that we can use ANY appearance mount we want. I mean really, SOE is trying to run a business. They want to sell more SC mounts. Players WANT to buy more mounts, but we're not going to buy them just so they sit in our "mounts" tab, we need to be able to actually get them out and ride them. Then we'll buy more of them and SOE will make more money. Everyone wins, ya?
  4. Luperza Community Manager

The forums weren't up all day. They were only up for those who had left themselves logged on. Anyone else was unable to access any SOE websites.
  5. Flatline Well-Known Member

Those i liked ALOT more than reddit, but then again lets just say im not a reddit fan.

Would LOVE a weekly or bi-weekly hour of "Dev chat/AMA" on ZAM IRC
  6. Endymion Developer

The team responsible for dungeon finder (engineering) is generally not responsible for content (which is handled by our awesome designers), though we make requests to one another if new tech is required to pull something off in future content or if design data is required to drive some new code thing.

I think doing dev chats on ZAM IRC would be cool!

One thing that makes reddit good though is the nested approach to commenting, that is to a particular thread of conversation will look like this:
    Initial post
    -- Reply to the reply
    --- Reply to the reply to the reply
    so forth and so on.

The linear nature of our forums and IRC can make it difficult to follow a conversation as bits and pieces of conversation get spread out and mixed together.
  7. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I'm glad a red-name said it but good luck trying to convince everyone. The amount of times I heard something like 'They need to stop making SC stuff and fix *encounter/class/items here*' is unreasonably high.

You need to get your names marked/tagged or w/e so its easier to find your names in the list on reddit. Its not so hard when its just one person answering but with a team its harder to sift through.
    Feldon likes this.
  8. Endymion Developer

We're dependent on the owners of the subreddit to do that, and I don't think there was enough time to sort that all out unfortunately. :)

On the bright side, my posts being not so easy to spot makes me feel less guilty about answering such questions as "Can we have the /pizza command back?"
  9. Arieste Well-Known Member

I understand that it's not literally the same team that - if they weren't doing dungeon finder, wouldn't be working ok content anyway - but fact is, there are resources and costs and the team that working on a feature that will never be better or more robust than typing "lfg", can probably use its time and talent on something else. How many iterations of dungeon finder does EQ2 need to go through to figure out that it's not actually needed?
  10. Avianna Well-Known Member

so can we? gamerz love pizza
  11. Endymion Developer

If you come to San Diego I will buy you pizza! There is a cheap pizza place across the street from me that isn't half bad. (my reply to the person's post was /cursethefivedollarpizzaplaceacrossthestreetfrommyapartment).
    Feldon and Avianna like this.
  12. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Until there is one that even remotely resembles the wildly successful ones in other MMO's.
    Kraeref likes this.
  13. Avianna Well-Known Member

careful I might take you up on that :)
  14. Luperza Community Manager

Where's my pizza? :p
    Avianna likes this.
  15. Endymion Developer

Hey I put out the offer, up to you to let me know when. :p Gotta get buff for that next blood donation drive!
    Avianna likes this.
  16. Luperza Community Manager

We should all do an EQ2 Dev lunch again one of these days. :)

Building C tomorrow? Gather the folks Endymion!
    Avianna likes this.
  17. Mae- Well-Known Member

I'll be down in San Diego in December... I expect pizza.
    Avianna likes this.
  18. SacDaddy420 Active Member

I love Reddit like millions of other frients around the world.

Im sad that I missed this; was it a scheduled one? I guess I'm guilty of not looking, but been busy last few days. Please do another one!

For those that dont use reddit alot the first thing you should do is if on pc, download RES at redditenhancementsuite.com . This will do hundreds of things like let you tag posters yourself (Neiloch) , auto-refresh...etc.. Makes browsing better.

Again, pls do another one!
  19. Arieste Well-Known Member

The existing one resembles plenty of the ones from other games. Therein lies the problem, instead of focusing on stuff that works in other games, maybe developers should focus on stuff that's going to work in EQ2.

There is lots of good stuff to steal from other games, this isn't one of them - and tbh, out of the 50+ MMOs I've played, I think only one had a dungeon finder that worked well and was commonly used. In all the other ones it either didn't exist or was a similar story to EQ2 - DEVs made one, no one needed, was abandoned.

I mean, i don't have anything against the feature specifically aside from it being a massive waste of time if it fails and making very little difference to the game if it succeeds.
  20. Calthine Well-Known Member

Golly, those were some fun love/hate days! There's a lot more (and probably better) venues for such things, but we're pleased to have been pioneers in the live QA biz :)