Arrows - From the tradeskill forums

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-MoonglumHMV, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Prandtl Guest

These are very welcome changes, however they still ignore one basic problem: namely getting a summoned arrow upgrade every 14 levels instead of every 10. We get an upgrade at levels 20, 34, 48, and 62. That means that for almost half of T4, most of T5, ALL of T6 and part of T7 rangers are forced to either buy arrows or use sub-par weapons.
    How hard would it be for this to upgrade at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60? And when the level cap is raised, add a new one at 70
  2. ARCHIVED-BSbongo Guest

how much ammo does your wizard and coercer go through and how much management do you have to do?
  3. ARCHIVED-dubbs Guest

This is exactly what it means, and exactly the way it should be. Ammo management? When wizards have to start purchasing spell components for 90% of any spells they want to cast then we can talk.
    There is no reason a ranger should be forced to stand around for 5 hours doing nothing but summoning arrows to ensure he doesn't run out on a raid, or going out and buying 6p worth of arrows to make it through the night.
  4. ARCHIVED-Caliga Guest

Yes, you and some other "role players" that want rangers to suffer for the sake of "authenticity". These people for some reason tend to be mages, I have no idea why... Seems like people so wrapped up in it all being "real" would go hunting or something, not playing computer games.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kala Asuras Guest

posted 1/9/07

Months and months ago I participated in a long discussion about arrows. I still feel that the ideal situation would be if CAs could be made to not consume arrows but still proc all effects correctly. Our consumption goes down to auto attack (yes more than other classes but a solution I could live with) and a huge plus is that it would make it possible for us to get the full benefit of higher quality crafted arrows if they are ever put in (another if).
    I couldn't be happier. Our arrow demand goes way down, we get a reasonably priced option for arrows of higher quality than our summoned ones, and carpenters have a new market.
  6. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

Weren't you one of the most vocal people screaming for a Ranger nerf back in the DoF Days? I see you're still lurking the Ranger forums.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Yep he was and I have no idea why he is posting in these boards.
    Troll FTW
  8. ARCHIVED-AziBam Guest

GRRRRR!

So then in order to achieve balance if a change like the proposed one (which is insufficient IMHO but better than nothing) were not implememented then instead all casters now require CATALYST X for their spells. Catalyst x is required to tap into the magical realms in order to draw out your powers. Catalyst x is consumed every time you cast a spell. Catalyst x can be stored in a magic bag or in your normal inventory. Spell casters are now given the ability to summon a quantity of catalyst x every 15 minutes. In order to keep up with heavy usage they will need to purchase low quality catalyst x from an npc vendor (thereby lowering the damage done by their spells) or they may purchase higher quality catalyst x from their local alchemist for whatever rate the market will hold. If you run out of catalyst x...you may choose to hit whatever mob you are fighting with your staff or wand.

All melee classes will also be required to carry whetstones and handle wraps. It's logical that weapons become dull or worn through usage. The assumption is that each of those classes will be constantly be using their whetstones to keep the edge on their weapons sharp or in the case of a crushing weapon to keep the handle in good working order. Both of those components would be consumed during all combat. Just as the casters they now can summon a quantity every 15 mins....etc. you get my drift.

It's called balance. As things stand. Rangers are the ONLY CLASS that has a constantly consumed component for their primary form of damage.
  9. ARCHIVED-Starness Guest

QFE - This seems like a good step on the surface, under the surface it's just another way to make us spend more money. The cost of arrows may go down, our use of arrows may go down, but if makeshift arrows are on par with store bought after this change then any Ranger who wants to do their job to the best of their ability might as well take their summon arrows ability off their hotbar and forget about it. :(
  10. ARCHIVED-Kitsune286 Guest

I personally believe the order of arrow quality will go like this:

Vendor > Makeshift > Player Crafted > Bow-Summoned

I also believe that Makeshift and Bow-Summoned will get no changes to them, so I think the dps numbers will NOT change for Makeshift and Bow-Summoned. If you go with Player Crafted, you would see better numbers than makeshift, but still not as good as the summoned.

Remember, this is my beliefs. :p

Also, if combat arts no longer burn arrows, that means Steam Of Arrows won't burn ammo anymore too? Coool.
  11. ARCHIVED-Tobann Guest

CA no longer require arrows...what great news!
    I hope they will have some info in the description,like damage rating so we can see the difference in crafted and summoned, for us non parsers.

Buaf
  12. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Sure. I play D&D. I think it's also common sense for mages to require spell components to cast their spells.
  13. ARCHIVED-Emperors Guest

CA's no longer requiring ammo is a good thing.
    Forcing Ranger's to pay for DPS is just wrong any way you look at it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jaggid Guest