Ancient spells..where do these drop?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Enigma, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

Nope, Assassin Ancients start at level 10. It's just the same spells and all it's upgrades along the way. Don't think any have been disco'd yet.
    Death Mark
    Jugular Slice
    Torture
    Eviscerate
    Assassinate
    Stealth Assault
    Fatal Followup
  2. Caith Developer

Ancient spell drop rates are being adjusted in the next patch, but that doesn't mean they will all the sudden be common. We are being very careful with these, because we would much rather adjust them to drop more often, as opposed to having to reduce a drop chance later.
  3. Jodiph Active Member

Was under the impression this was the original design but they realized they wouldn't finish it in time and changed it to be only AoM spells. http://eq2wire.com/2014/09/10/liveblog-of-eq2-insider-episode-4-september-10-2014/ from Sep 10th

Specifically the part about Ancient Spells - Only drop in Altar of Malice.

If they were available for certain spells 1-100 that would make it even crazier that none have been disco'ed.
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

107k characters logged in and found 0 Ancients last week. Forgetting how many of these are crafters and storage mules, I hope the new rate is more than 0/100,000. :)
    If you look up your character on EQ2U, you can see exactly which Ancient spells are available for your class. Ancients are 4-6 spells per class, available from levels 1-100. Now I'm wondering how 1-95 ancients would drop in Altar of Malice zones.

We are currently working on updating the general Spells & Combat Arts pages to use the new data.
    Wirewhisker, Wintir and Bloodguts like this.
  5. Caith Developer

We don't award ancients spells based off of character login. Strange I know.

Ancients are not limited to only dropping in Altar of Malice zones.
    Gninja likes this.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

Let's cut the number in half. let's say 50k characters are logging in every week for the last month killing all manner of mobs. Not one found an Ancient. That's rare!

Why am I flustered and being a little bit tactless? Because EVERYTHING seems insanely rare this expac. Level 97 advanced recipe books. Advanced Adornments 11. Most Mastercrafted recipes require 5 rares. Every group zone is heavily scripted and only the first 2 Zavith zones are remotely PuGgable. As a casual EQ2 player, I just don't like the overall "let's make everything punishing" vibe.
    Ok I will update my article as I must have mis-heard Kyle from the webcast.
    Ranga, Wirewhisker, Taivr and 2 others like this.
  7. Ranga Active Member

I don't mind the difficulty and scripts. It's when I get to the end of the week and there's no update notes saying "Yes, we know, Advanced Adornments 11" are now dropping and the rarity rate has been fixed. In all expacs up to VI, the potion of harvesting made a very big difference to my haul. Not any more! It's as bad as without. There must also be a better way of seeding the other rares too.

With the changes to salvaging etc. it seems we either get it on a plate or not at all. There really does seem to be no 'balancing' going on.

C'mon Sony, tweak it up. We need those adornments.....
  8. Malleria Well-Known Member

Seems to be more accurate :(
  9. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

How is it possible, that after a month no ancient spells have dropped yet? I mean I can understand about the higher lvl ones. But the lower level ones should have dropped from raids whatsoever. Great that you are adjusting the drop rate. But shouldn't have that worked since the exp launch? Probably the same bug that prevented the mercs from dropping. All in the sudden merc drops so cazy and no one really stands up saying they messed up.
    Feldon likes this.
  10. Glassjaw Active Member

No point in throwing blame around. Stuff happens.
  11. Ranga Active Member

It's not about blame though, it's about fixing problems that are evident - It's not just people whining cos the RNG is bad to them.
  12. Jodiph Active Member

Edit: Looks like they are popping up now, though the only ones to have been found are all 91-100. Are there ancient spells for 1-90?
  13. Feldon Well-Known Member

Yes.