Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Saladdin Active Member

It's much worse than you think. And computer hardware has nothing to do with it. I tried to enter the game on machines with 13th generation Intel processors, with 32 gigabytes of RAM and with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 and 3060 video cards, and Direct X 12.0 And I could not do this for three hours, because the game wants Direct X 11.1 and nothing else. Direct X 12.0 does not suit her. Strange, right?
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

It's not even that. Most people already have, or on Win 7 can get, the software of Directx 11.1. The biggest problem currently for most people seems to be the need for the Feature Level 11_1 which is not supported by their GPU hardware. There are other issues with the current state of the implementation which they are working on. But for most users the big issue is a hardware one, not a software one. There is a world of difference between 11.1 and 11_1 as far as computer code goes.
  3. Evilary Well-Known Member

Now that's splitting hairs. The issue is it being run on 11.1 because of the hardware issues yes. The point of the matter is using 11.0 would solve so many of the issue's we are seeing. 11.1 software not being utilized by the hardware is just the effect we are having so 11.1 being their choice to build the client on is the issue.
  4. Saladdin Active Member

Yes, the path I used is probably not suitable for everyone. I had to use DirectX Happy Uninstaller, remove DirectX 12.0 drivers, then install DirectX 11.0. upgrade it to DirectX 11.1, then install native DirectX 12.0 drivers from Windows 10 LTSC on top of this whole zoo, and only then the test server started working. Took THREE hours of my time. And the question arose; why did they use DirectX 11.1? I would be happy with DirectX 11.0 or even DirectX 12.0. And everything would work without all this hassle
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sing it, brother, I am soooo there. It's like DirectX 9.0c was the ONLY option for all those prior years; thank the gods it was at least easier to get than this idiotic nonsense. X-P

Uwk
    KauaiJim, Breanna and Raeven like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

[emphasis mine]

Yeah, but which KB2670838? There are like three versions to choose from over at Microsoft Update Catalog, one of which does not specifically mention that it's for 64-bit, so I'll presume it isn't. :-/

The other two are:

Platform update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64-Edition (KB2670838) [the "Product" it says it's for is, indeed, for Windows Server 2008 R2, apparently, so I'm guessing that's not me]
    -- and --
    Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition

But when this thing, this "update," first came out, there was much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth; I'm guessing by now, the rest of our computer is sophisticated enough to counteract all that foolishness that MS had shoved out the door back in 2013. X-P

EDIT: Never mind; found it...yep, it was installed already, like with Tkia. Mine was way back in Aug. 15, 2013. X-P

Not doing me any good, either, apparently. X-P

Uwk
    Breanna and Raeven like this.
  7. Calix New Member

I've had a problem recently with the game closing on me. No error messages. I did notice that many times I've had the browser open when the game does close. I'm running a fully updated win 11, 32 gigs of ram, a 7900x cpu and a 4090 gpu.

The game shut down again. I've been using the browser, opened it five or six times. I checked the task manager and there were just as many eq2 client applications running after the game shut down.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

When I CAN run the game (so far; U.S. and Thurgadin [I shall miss them]) on my Win7 desktop, I've long since learned to have any browsers open over on the laptop. I'm not sure I should be glad that the more things change, the more they stay the same. X-P

Uwk
    Breanna, Calix and Raeven like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

THIS JUST IN!!! :D

"I can see clearly now, the dark is gone..."

Or something to that effect! :D

Well, at least on the Win10 laptop... ;->

I'll miss Ye Olde Win7 for this (the gods know the seating/viewing arrangement is better); guess I'll just have to switch roles and use the desktop for having a browser up at the same time. ;->

EDIT: Well, okay, so some things aren't picture-perfect yet; my avatar in my Character Sheet is still just a ghost of himself... X-P

But at least I can see everything else. We'll see how long this lasts. ;->

EDIT: Hmm. The preview pictures for my houses, at least the default pics, are the opposite color scheme: anything that's Maj'Dul (the city) color schemed is in shades of blue and purple instead of oranges and golds, the Mistmoore Crags Estate is in tones of turquoise (actually looks pretty groovy, yet disconcerting), the Halas places have the wood look icy, etc. :-/

I'll visit them in person and see if the colors are borked that way. :-/

Oh, and the mirrors don't work properly; my visiting dude has a good head on his shoulders, and that's about it; everything from the neck down looks like the carbonized house actor (without the smoke effects). :-/

EDIT: And now my ghostly toon in the Character Sheet is only visible from the knees up... X-P

Uwk
    Breanna and Raeven like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Looking at things in the Dressing Room window, it's pretty freaky there, too; the poor new Emerald Zelniak has no face! :eek::( Or at least, not a solid skull! And the rest of it is all ghostly and see-through. I'm sure it'll probably look fine (one hopes! :-/) once it's been purchased and is gleefully running around in a house, but it'd be nice to see what they truly look like beforehand. :-/

EDIT: Okay, yeah. Nothing's displaying properly in the Dressing Room, the mirrors don't work, the colors are off in the preview house pictures, and my FPS haven't changed so much as an iota. X-P

It's our job to test things on Test Server, and help you people come to conclusions. Please come to this one:

GET RID OF 11.1. :mad:

Go with 11.0 (preferably) or 12.0. >:-/

Uwk
    Whilhelmina, Breanna and Raeven like this.
  11. Calix New Member

Looks like I'll have to use my tablet for the browser. Thanks for the info Uwkete
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  12. Saladdin Active Member

I agree with the above. Choosing Direct X 11.1 is an extremely ill-considered, wrong decision.

Are you sure that it was not recommended to you by competitors who want to ruin the company? 8(
  13. Shunio Member

I don't think that's a bad decision, I think it's very good that dx 11 is coming, you just need new hardware, it's clear that the old hardware doesn't support dx 11-dx 12, it doesn't work, the graphics card doesn't currently cost much, it's also available other games where you even need dx 12
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Smashey like this.
  14. Raeven Well-Known Member

I agree with Ukwete, that you want us to test things, and we are doing just that. And from all the input so far, 11.0 makes more sense. Are there ANY other games on the market atm that REQUIRE 11.1? Are you just trying to be different?

Or maybe Saladdin is correct, you got the recommendation from a competitor who does NOT require 11.1?
  15. Tkia Well-Known Member

Browser opening on game close is an obnoxious behaviour of ftp accounts. Doblecheck that your subscription hasn't expired. The multiple eq2 processes are a direct result of the game crashes. There should be one for every crash as they are obviously not being cleaned up properly when you get dumped to desktop. Kill them all as they will cause additional proclems if left running.
  16. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I cant get on the game now at all. . . I dont know if it was our update or a Crossover Update for LINUX but I can no longer play. . . . I guess I wont be seeing you guys for awhile.

Good bye all! It was fun knowing my Peeps!

You can always see me on Facebook in the Homeshow Page or here on the forums. . . I shall Haunt you for the rest of my days!
  17. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Ok, I checked this a bit more in depth on my Linux rigs, and I have shared that info with Uwk via private message already, but I'll post it here for the rest to see as well. Gero checked this too after Uwk talked to us about it, and Gero chimed in and verified this via his Windows task manager too. So Gero has one EQ2.EXE and then two other processes / clients running alongside the main game .exe that by his description seems to be hidden behind a different numbering than what Uwk is seeing on Win7. I double checked on my end using Linux, and I can confirm that I have ONE (1) EQ2.EXE (main game), but TWO other separate processes running alongside that are part of Everquest 2 Test. This means it's going to look a bit different for each of us, depending on the operating system in use, but I understand how this could make Uwk think the game or its EQ2.EXE is running three times:

[IMG]

I can only assume Tkia is seeing the same thing that Gero is seeing, which looks like a single client is running, but in reality there is a bit more active alongside EQ2.EXE as seen in my case. It's not three times the EQ2.exe (= not three times the game running in the background / not the game installed three times), but instead EQ2.EXE (the game itself) and then two other processes (gpu, network and debug logs used by the Test Server). I would further test this via a Windows VM or even natively on bare metal via a separate machine that I have here, but that would take away from the testing time that I am investing in testing EQ2-DX11 on all of the other machines in our household running on Linux. Weekend = family trips and so I'm putting in those after hour late night shifts to test the other rigs. So if anyone could confirm the above on Windows, I'm sure Uwk would like that very much. :) @UWK: Can't say much about the other stuff (Dropbox and other apps) running multiple times or why those apps won't fully shutdown / close, but at least for EQ2 it seems to be alright. Anything else aside from the above in terms of multiple EQ2.EXE could be a result of the game silently crashing and leaving its mark after the game has closed.
  18. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hey Q, answered your private message. Not sure if you have seen it already, copy and paste here: "Do you mean for the EQ2 TEST (DirectX11) or are we talking the normal EQ2 live (DirectX9) ? Did you update Crossover? IIRC they released a new version a couple of days ago, not sure if you might have updated to that version? Which version of Crossover are you running now and if you updated it, how did you update it? Was it automatic or did you do it yourself?"

IF, big IF, if we're talking about EQ2-DX11 (TEST) and that you can't login to that via Crossover, I posted some info for you here, but here is the quick copy and paste of that:

Tbf, that igpu is actually only meant for office and light multimedia use, so if DX11 Test is causing issues, that's most likely gonna be the culprit of it all.
  19. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

I can confirm this to an extent. I posted that a few pages back, switching in and out of fullscreen and often alt-tabbing, changing the resolution in-game or even resizing the client in windowed mode can make the game crash without any visible errors. I can't confirm the browser thing though: Not sure if you meant that the browser then opens up all by itself or if you mean that you had the browser open when the game crashed (was a bit confused reading your discussion with Tkia up there). Not sure if that has been fixed yet, will retry throughout the day and report back.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, if even Sturm can't help but the devs come to their senses and just use DirectX 11.0 (NOT 11.1!!!), we'll leave the light on for ya, and welcome you back when you can! :)

Uwk
    who still keeps your seat in Rooted Nomads warm :)