Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Tkia Well-Known Member

No. That means your system has crashed and not tidied up properly and will probably never work again with all that conflicting junk in memoery. Kill them all and start fresh.
    Sturmlocke, Breanna and Raeven like this.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

BTW: DarqUi works without any problems on test :)
  3. Shunio Member

Is there a graphics difference or is there just more fps, the eye can't detect 300-400 fps anyway
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  4. Trakum Active Member

I've taken out an add on milk cartons
    Have you seen DX11.1 please call 555-555-5555
    And i've included a screenshot of the pop up it's generating
    Maybe we can find it and bring it back home :p
  5. Bunji Developer

Will push a new build today to address the Software Cursor and letter box issues.
  6. Evilary Well-Known Member

I really really wish you would mention something about the 11.1 issue. Minimum requirements say 11.0 but those who do not have 11.1 cannot even load up test server due to this issue. If it's going to be 11.1 for the minimum, please just let us know. If it's just something that will take time to change or update, please let us know this as well. At this point, we have no idea if we'll even be able to continue playing EQ2 once this goes live.
  7. Trakum Active Member

ill just watch others bring up the issues i have - i wont age as fast
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Thoreandan Member

I've just recently come back after a 7-year hiatus and was all set to buy the current xpac and resub to AA again, but looks like I'll be out of luck as things stand with 11.1, just a notch too far for my PC that is 11.0 capable.

Unfortunately, I can't just upgrade my gfx card either as my PC is from 2008 and the card I have is pretty much the best this old PC will ever handle, and a new PC is just not an option anytime remotely soon.

Going to sit tight on the xpac and All Access resub until I know where this is all heading.

Ultimately I can see the reasoning for this port, but I fear a huge portion of players could end up getting cast aside if players with older systems (that are currently perfectly capable of running EQ2 very well) get shut out.

Hope this pans out well.
    Sturmlocke, Tkia, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  9. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hm, I think I'm gonna side with Tkia on this one, it sounds like something has crashed and is just sitting there in memory without closing. I can't confirm any of this ofc since I'm on Linux and all I see is a single EQ2.exe, but if Tkia is on Windows and can confirm it's not normal, there you go then. Maybe someone else with Win7 can take a peak? That said, I also agree with Tkia that starting fresh might be the best approach here in order to fully wipe out everything in the way. OpenSUSE Leap 15.6 is releasing this year, and I'm doing a backup + fresh install of everything just to make sure that I don't get any conflicting packages during an upgrade. Same with EQ2-Test, only after I nuked the entire game and started fresh from scratch was it up and running again (it deleted those config files that Beee mentioned earlier).

Just out of curiosity, what gpu do you have in that system right now that can't be upgraded? 2008 really is long ago tbh, I actually don't remember what PC I had back then. Just to give you some hope though, some time ago I bought my third (I have five) Optiplex 3040 Small Form Factor computer with an i7 6700 and 8GB of RAM for 30 Euros second hand. I kid you not, literally 30 Euros for the entire PC with all the bells and whistles (no dedicated gpu plus it had an old 320GB HDD but I swapped that for an NVME SSD). It had Windows on it but I installed Linux instead. The guy that sold it to me even thought he was overcharging me, lol. It has an Intel HD530 integrated gpu which has the full feature set for DX11-12 and I'm actually just in the process of testing EQ2-DX11 with that gpu over the weekend just to see how well these little igpu hold up. Raeven actually posted something super interesting and helpful over here. Walmart in the US offers a number of cheap refurbished and second hand computers that seem to be decent price/performance wise. I didn't even know that was a thing, you learn something new every day.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So...just delete/uninstall the entire game? :-/

'Cause this has been going on for years, literally; same thing with Firefox (which has been updated several times), Dropbox, etc., etc., etc.; I just figured it was something Win7 was doing in its older years. X-P

When I get out of Firefox and if I peek in on it while it's "closing," I'll see it whittled down to maybe a handful of instances, then down to like two, then back up to four, etc., all the while it's "workin' on it; don't rush!" X-P

And Dropbox NEVER CLOSES... :eek:

Uwk
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  11. Beee Well-Known Member

Letterbox works now - but it does not really have an influence on the fps.. no noticeable difference between min and max letterbox
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Thoreandan Member

I have a GTX 750 TI 2GB in a Core 2 Quad CPU [Q6600] with 8GB RAM. Funnily enough, I upgraded it to 8MB RAM, an SSD HD, and the 750 TI when EQ Landmark came out in order to play that. The general consensus at the time was that the 750 TI would be about the best my system could handle, and apparently the motherboard won't go beyond 8GB RAM either. To be fair its been a reasonably good PC for me with the things I tend to play.

Definitely very aware its an ancient rig, but again to be fair its done ok for me - believe it or not, I even managed to play New World on it for a bit - albeit on low settings and not mega brilliant performance - but it was surprisingly acceptable. It's the second machine I've bought specifically for EQ2. I've upgraded it a few times with various things down the years and will likely be in a position to get a new setup in about 3 years time maybe.

I've been trying to get new high-end PC for much of the last decade - I always buy something to last, but like many folk over the last few years life has thrown a lot of curveballs, self-employment, and then the pandemic then putting me out of business, and health / family issues etc. So a new machine just isn't an option anytime soon, and I think this PC has pretty much gone as far as it will go in terms of upgrading without getting a new motherboard / CPU (which is effectively a new PC anyway), plus I'd rather just put the money towards something new.

I haven't really considered a secondhand PC, you've done very well on that score. I'm UK based, so Walmart isn't an option, but I will investigate what is out there to see if there is anything that's halfway decent and affordable that could bridge the gap for a couple of years or so, but again, not even an option right now.

Anyway, we'll see where all this goes with DX 11.0 / 11.1.
    As Evilary said the minimum requirements say DX11.0 (which would be fine for me), but currently it certainly appears anyone with anything less than 11.1 can't run it as things stand. Maybe, and hopefully this will get fixed so that people with older systems aren't shut out.
  13. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

I hear you on that mate, lots of ups and downs here too. I'm from Germany and there are so many good second hand options over here, gotta love it. Do you guys in the UK have anything like "Ebay Kleinanzeigen" (it's Ebay but more local and personal)? If not, I heard the equivalent to that would be Gumtree und Shpock, but I have no idea. I have been "heavily" investing into my hardware, I say "heavily" because it's all second hand to save a coin or two (a coin or two= easily 50-80%), but only because second hand has made it possible. I bought my wife her own Optiplex 7050MT tower with i5 6500, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 500 GB HDD (upgraded to NVME) for around 25 bucks INCLUDING shipping off Ebay. I then threw an AMD RX 560 gpu in there to get her started, which cost me another 20 Euros. I've upgraded that machine ever since, it was doing really well actually, much better than I gave it credit for, and it was dirt cheap too. Tipp: Old office computers are usually sold really cheap and can be easily modified / upgraded for all things gaming.

Anyway, yeah, let's see what comes out of the DX11.0/11.1 situation. Just know, feel free to ask for some guidance any time if you need anything. Just one thing, you said the 750 TI is the best your system can handle, right? What's the limiting factor here, is it the power supply, space or something else? The 750 TI is PCIE 3.0, right? Is that gpu feeding off the pcie / gpu slot without an external power connector to the power supply? If so, its power usage should be around 50-70 Watts (see here). If that is indeed the case, big if, you should be able to upgrade it for something better. For example, the AMD RX 6400 is available as low and high profile, requires only around 50-60 Watts so it can be powered via the PCIE gpu slot without an external power connector, it's more than two times faster than the 750TI (has more vram too), it has many more builtin features like hardware acceleration for HD video in your browser etc., it has the newest drivers available for gaming and it also is fully compliant with DirectX11/12 feature set as far as I can tell. The RX 6400 requires PCIE 4.0 to unleash its full power, but it'll do fine with PCIE 3.0 if you're using the newest drivers. It costs around 130 pounds new, but you can get it much cheaper second hand. This is just one example, but I already have a few other suggestions popping into my head if you ever want to upgrade that pc of yours. Your rig is old, sure, but I don't think it has become obsolete just yet mate. It's alive... it wants to live!
  14. Saladdin Active Member

It seems to me that the decision to connect to Everquest2 Direct X 11 is the biggest mistake that the developers could make. Immediately after this, 80-85% of its participants will leave the game forever. They simply won't be able to connect to it. I tried it on 5 different computers, with different hardware and different operating systems. And of course, with versions of Direct X 11, 11.1, 12 already installed on them. And I couldn’t do it on any computer. At the same time, I previously worked in the Dell technical support department. I can probably do it, but do I want to waste my time on it? I doubt....
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  15. Beee Well-Known Member

On Test: Changing the letterbox from min->max changes alomost noting in fps (random 3 fps) on live (alomst) the same view ist' not much difference too.. but the fps are much lower (about 30% lower) on live

It's difficult to compare thing like fps on different servers with differnt equipment

btw: cool it's working now :)
  16. Beee Well-Known Member

If something like DX9 is End of Life is.. it's necessary to change.. antd it will work if we give input whats's not working :)

Maybe make a clear install and find out whats not working (like letterbox) :) and ti's fixalbe
    Do NOT copy live configurations

This ist TEST .. Beta will start soon™️
    Breanna, Raeven and Sturmlocke like this.
  17. Thoreandan Member

I've actually just been looking at EBAY for secondhand / refurbished machines here in the UK, and whilst I haven't seen anything quite as spectacular as your 30 Euro purchase (incredible that), there are definitely some really good bargains to be had for sure.

I don't think we have that site you mentioned but we have a few other EBAY alternatives over here that might be worth investigating too as well as Shpock etc, but to be honest, I'm seeing plenty of good options on EBAY, and I generally like and trust EBAY.

So yeah that could well be a good inexpensive option for me in the next year or so, before I treat myself to something really super-duper in about 3 years time, which will hopefully last me until I shuffle off.

I'll definitely have to put some brand new drives in any secondhand / refurbished purchase though, so I'll probably have to splash out on a new SSD and a regular secondary HDD for it, if I do buy one, but that's easy enough to sort.

As far as the 750TI card goes, I can't remember specifically now as its a few years back, but I think it was to do with the Dell motherboard I have, I think it was the best card that my machine would be able to handle. I don't think I'll ever buy Dell again - so many problems - they used to be so good back in the day. I believe I'm limited to 8GB RAM on this Dell motherboard too.

I think if iirc without opening the case up I did hook the 750 TI to a power connector hooked to the internal PSU, which I've also replaced / upgraded on this machine twice over, and I believe the connection is PCIe 2.0.

The trouble is I really don't want to risk spending any further money on cards / memory upgrades etc on this PC now unless I know for sure they will work, and with it being such an old rig, its getting difficult to upgrade with certainty.

It's still a decent machine overall though, and it was actually super-duper itself back in 2008 before the Intel Core i series dropped shortly afterwards. And with it being quad CPU its still fairly competitive with the low-end of the Intel i series, but obviously lags behind quite a bit still.

But yeah, I think a refurbished / secondhand PC, which is either good to go, or is something I can upgrade easily and inexpensively might be the order of the day until I can get a new dream PC when I release some pension funds in a few years time - ready for EQ3 oh yes!

In the meantime we'll see how this whole DX 11.0/11.1 thing goes. Hopefully they'll get it working with DX11.0 as stated and I, and no doubt many others will be fine for the time being.

Anyhow thanks for the tips and advice, very much appreciated.
  18. Bunji Developer

The letter box stuff is mainly used for scripted flythroughs.
  19. Smashey Well-Known Member

I am sorry but DX11 is from 2009. If you got a machine that does not support DX11 thats too bad for you.

There is no way 80% of the playerbase dont have a rig that support DX11 in 2024 :D - There will be kinks and various bugs and that is why they have the test enviroment and I very much doubt they will push it to live servers before a majority of the issues have been resolved.
  20. Evilary Well-Known Member

It's not directx that is the problem. It's directx 11.1. There is several people posting with machines that aren't that old that support directx 12 but it won't support the 11.1 version. That is a major problem for a company that already bleeds subscriptions and has to resort to pay to win packs that they want to kill off a chunk of their existing players with this crazy 11.1 crap. Directx 11 is fine and needs to be upgraded to it, but they need to not choose to use the .1 version.