Fuel Depots

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Guiscard, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I suspect that there are issues with creating storage depots for items that do not stack. If you look at the existing depots, every single one of them stores stackable items.
    Alenna and suka like this.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

kk now this is getting stranger and stranger. I don't follow your logic. Pray tell- what fuels and harvests do we get from questing? even the adornments gotten from questing can't go into the adornment depot- yeah i tried a lot. they still take up room in my shared bank.

your argument doesn't make any sense at all. of course we can buy harvests and things like that from the broker. just like we can buy almost anything that can be crafted from there. and sell them there too. we can even buy frostfell fuel from there since it is only available twice a year (once at bristlebane). so your point is??? and no, it isn't really inadequate. we just want more space for the sake of convenience.
    Ahupu likes this.
  3. Ahupu Well-Known Member

So by your reasoning an MMO which by its very name implies multiple players in a persistent shared world should only allow us to use items that we can make ourselves? That is a huge leap in logic like saying I should build my own prosthetic leg (were I to need one) since it was only intended for my use. Use would be the end result the final actions one performs with an item. Manufacture and stocking in the game world as well as the real world might be undertaken by a single individual, but in both would be virtually impossible as it requires expertise in so many fields as to make the action prohibitively difficult. There is no sound reason to make the jump from "this is meant for my personal use" to "I must be solely responsible for every aspect of its existence." The fact is you CAN allow others to use your personal depot, or disallow them as well, that is your choice, but every action taken by Sony from the introduction of personal depots on test shows that they intended the personal fuel depot to be used by a single crafting class if not a single player. It is a gift we were given all those depots, and quite frankly any size was an improvement over carting all the fuels I needed on my person, they accommodated the most fuel intensive class and expanded it, and still people want to complain that it is inadequate. If used the way it was intended it is more than adequate for any situation, if you try and support an army of crafters on a single depot then no it isn't, but that is a flaw in your use not in it's design.

I will say that those in this thread who are merely asking for a change I support you 100%, heck I am one of you. But hose who feel compelled to say that this is a change that should (implying something that must be done) be made, or even one that is required are acting awfully ungrateful, and I will thank you to remind me to never donate a kidney to you. Not because I want you to suffer, but because you won't like the color.*

*Credit to Stephen Moffat and Peter Capaldi
    Malfaer, Mermut, Deveryn and 2 others like this.
  4. Kurogo Active Member

Perhaps I am getting carried away. Sorry guys, I'll back it up a bit. And just stick to why I would like to see them increased one way or another.

If any of you care to look up my characters (Start with Kurogo on AB and you'll find my alts) you'll find that most of my crafters are already level 95. You'll also find that none of my adventurers are below T3. What this means is that once my last 2 crafters reach 95, I won't have any need for food/drink that is less than T10. I already don't have any need for gear, weapons, spells, or anything else from less than T3. So why am I asking to be able to store all these fuels that I'm not going to need? Because I do intend to share them, and being able to share them all from one location will make it easier on me, and my friends/guildies that I intend to share them with.
    Ahupu likes this.
  5. suka Well-Known Member

are you aware that the food and drink automatically scales to your level? at level 10 you could use level 95 food and drink with no problem. the only kindling i have besides level 95 is basic through smoldering for the holiday crafting.

if you are wanting to share them, that is really what the guild hall amenities are for. aside from the fact that my common harvest depots in my house are open for anyone who wants to bring their own fuel, i definitely don't share my personal stash. it is for my toons to make things with. the stuff i donate to the guild fuel depot and the guild harvest depot are for sharing. i also have a house set up with all the depots expressly for guild use and all guild members get trustee access there. it is published so no worries about anything getting moved.
  6. Naramsin Well-Known Member

This line sounds familiar, did it come from one of the Doctor Who episodes Stephen Moffat wrote?
  7. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Time of the Doctor the last Christmas special when Matt Smith regenerated to Peter Capaldi. His first line.

The Doctor: "Kidneys, I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour."
    Clara: "What? Of your kidneys?"
  8. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I didn't see that episode yet, but BBC/ America says the new Doctor will be airing to the Phoenix metro area August. Regardless, I'll be looking forward to it!
  9. Kurogo Active Member

I thought you could only use food at your appropriate level, but the point is still the same, I don't really need any kindling other then T10 kindling. But as far as sharing goes, that is part of the points I have been trying to make. I believe these depots are made to help facilitate sharing between characters (whether alts or players). I believe that they won't cause a collapse of the guild system, despite functioning similarly to guild depots. And I also believe that once all my toons are capped out, that will be enough proof that I'm not asking to have this simply for "me and my alts."
  10. suka Well-Known Member

almost everyone here is asking for bigger fuel depots. yeah we want it. do we absolutely need it? no- we want it. will the world stop if we don't get it? no we want it. again, i don't understand what point you are trying to make other than arguing with others who agree with you- for the most part.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

let me put it another way. most are here because we agree we want bigger fuel depots. most have conceded that we want them because they would make things more convenient for us. they don't make or break the game, but then neither does any other amenity. things would get a lot easier if the fuel and the lore and legend depots were bigger.

what i had a problem with in this thread were people who seemed to think asking for anything is a crime. it isn't. the only way to get anything is to ask for something. if you never ask, you never get. as for reasons, the only reason is convenience - and that was the only reason to even get them in the first place. you can argue all you want for or against, but it comes down to two points:

1. having bigger depots would be more convenient.
    2. we have a right to ask for convenience, although we can't take for granted that we might get it.

really you never know. the devs might decide they like us enough to give us more convenience. or they might decide that this particular convenience is not something they want to address right now.

and yes, i agree that people who seem to think they are somehow entitled to anything can be irritating.
    Katz and Alenna like this.
  12. Naramsin Well-Known Member

There have been some who have posted that feel it important that the original intent of the personal depots be known, however I personally don't think it is as important in this case. I'm not saying your not allowed to post it, though I am saying that I do not see the relevance in it. When new things come out, there's always an original intent, but but over time, the reason(s) for usage of some items tend to change.

Sure, the original depot was initially geared for those with one toon, but it has gotten to the point where some have multiple alts now with each alt having a different tradeskill specialty. As such, each alt uses different fuels and different materials to craft with.

Sure you could use the guild depots, but there are some who are guildless, and then there are some who are in a guild, but not many log in to play, and some would rather not be subject to limits that are put on them by their guild when it comes to guild amenities, especially if only a few people log in during any given week.

I would like for the personal fuel depots to have enough space to hold every known kind of fuel. But even if they did not, I would hope they would at least remove the Lore tag so we can put more than just one depot in our crafting houses. They did that with the personal harvest depots, both large and small, so to me, it doesnt seem like a hard thing to do to remove the Lore tag and let us put another depot in the same house, or better yet, increase the capacity. Now I don't think it o be a need, but rather something I would like to have. It would be convenient and would take up less bag space.
    suka and Avahlynn like this.
  13. suka Well-Known Member

they did it with the small harvest depots- then they removed the ability to make them. as for as the guild depots go, those are for sharing with the guild. for my own toons i prefer to have my personal resources. that way not only am i not paying for everyone in the guild to have fuel, i also am not sharing my rares. anything that is hard to come by- like rares - or cost me plat, those are not things i choose to allow anyone else access to. if there is fuel in the guild depot, then someone put it there because they had excess that they chose to share with members or they didn't realize they didn't have to put it in. or they are replacing what they used- the right thing to do.

and yes, the intended use of the original depot is kind of irrelevant and has no bearing on why we want the convenience of more space. i think most people who posted that were trying to make a point to those who insist that they are somehow entitled to more. came across in a way that was upsetting, but i'm sure some of my posts do too.

as for the large personal depot - i am checking on that right now and will post a picture of it in a minute

nope- large personal harvest depot is still lore. only the small one was changed.
    [IMG]
  14. Kurogo Active Member

I agree, but something else someone mentioned was that we are simply asking for it to benefit ourselves and our alts. I'm saying there is a way to find evidence that this isn't necessarily true. I'm not advocating that only people who have capped out every one of their alts can get a bigger depot; but if there is a way to show that some of us who are asking for it really are doing so to share with others, perhaps that will help convince the devs to consider this change.
  15. Naramsin Well-Known Member

They used to make it so that it would produce a small harvest depot if you didn't complete the fourth bar. So trying it out I see that they took that out and even if you only completed one bar, you'd still get a large harvest depot
  16. suka Well-Known Member

true- but it really doesn't matter how many or who it benefits. whether it benefits me and my army of crafters or my guild and their armies of crafters is really besides the point. people often lose sight of what is important when they try to qualify why someone wants something or what things are meant for. first of all, we don't really know what vision the devs have when putting something in the game. we can only guess.
    second, after things have been in the game for awhile and they are able to see how it works, giving it time to play out, then often they change their minds about what its purpose is and whether it is exactly as they wanted it to be. they do that because of the feedback we give them.

it isn't really up to us to make a good argument or qualify anything. it is only up to us to say what we want and why. it doesn't matter if someone else thinks we are selfish in our requests. things don't have to benefit everyone in the game to qualify for change. different people want different things from the game. they play in different ways. if it only benefits crafters, then does it matter whose crafters it benefits? all that matters is whether it is beneficial and whether it will hurt anyone.

yes some things are considered more crucial than other things. but you never know when a dev will say they want to throw in a fix for something while doing something else. if the coding is similar and it won't mess anything else up to do it, they just might do it.

one things is for sure. if you don't ask, you don't get. if no one ever complains, then they will think it is fine the way it is. by giving feedback in any way possible, even if your reasons are not the same as someone else's. you are adding your voice to others who are saying the same or similar things. this creates a mass consciousness that gets their attention. it may not happen right away, but i have seen it happen. just because the answer is no right now, doesn't mean it will always be no.

as they continue to develop the game, they often go back and readdress issues that they had not wanted to change before. sometimes it is just because they couldn't do it before for whatever reason. other times it is because enough people asked for it.

the main thing is to get your voice heard. put out your opinion. if someone doesn't agree, that's them. but you need to let what you want be known. that is the only way changes come. they don't come from silence.
    Naramsin likes this.
  17. Avianna Well-Known Member

My point in the matter is a simple one, If on earth I was at home and wanted to put some stuff in a box regardless of what that stuff was or if that stuff was for me alone or for me and my friends; and I started filling that box and realized that it is not going to hold all the stuff I wanted to put in it, I would go get a bigger box. Simple as that.

Now on Norrath it is not that simple, one cannot just go out and get a bigger box (I have tried) stuff in Norrath won't go in just any old box, the idea has to be created and designed by the Norrathian God's (aka devs) and placed into a gnome's brain for him to create it and draw out a recipe so the rest of us can create it.

So with that being said....
    Alenna, Avahlynn and suka like this.