Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Kuulei Well-Known Member

If you have 12, you should not need to download previous versions.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

nice FPS, but still only a 100% black enviroment

[IMG]

may i change 90% of this fps to corret rendering ? ;)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  3. Arclite Well-Known Member

Not to add to your workload, but will you be adding notes when thing eventually goes live as to what feature set from AMD and Nvidia will be supported from the control panel of each of the gpu manufacturers?

I am assuming things like FSR or DLSS is something not going to be added within the game options but since dx11 can allow users to apply certain techniques through the gpu control panel, it would be helpful to know what works and can be used.
    Smashey and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Another quick update after testing for another hour yeeeeesterday (aaaaall my troubles seem so faaaar away): Not a single crash, seems like the updates mentioned a few pages back have been improving things. Someone else here noticed how fps is high but there is more hitching / stuttering going on, and I can confirm this after giving it a longer try too. Maybe it's due to the dx11 shader cache or some diagnostic tool running in the background? Proton on Linux improved on this with version 8 and higher by upgrading some of the techniques used to work with shader caches etc. Also Steam likes to gather shader information during gameplay and reupload it to users when possible in order to make things more smooth during the first playthrough.

I also noticed that enabling and disabling msaa can make the fps-rate tank all of a sudden if you do this often (like switching from msaa 2, 4 and 8 a couple of times).

Other than that, no random crash during the last 1h test, no graphical issues aside from the msaa bug above.
  5. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

+1 upvote for fsr and dlss options in-game. I'm not sure how well things like Frame Generation (both Nvidia and AMD) would work with an mmo, but last time I tried it on Cyberpunk, it made the entire game feel so much more fluid fps-wise even though you did notice a few graphics glitches here and there (as with dlss and ghosting in some games).
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

Yes, people have been saying that about 9.0c for years but that never stopped it being needed. 'Should' rarely equates to what actually 'is' in this life.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

This may not be a real DX error, the issue may be a hardware one if your graphics card does not support the correct Feature level. I'm waiting for an update to tell us which issue that error message is actually complaining about and whether the minimum Feature level is now 11_0 as stated in the original announcement or 11_1 as Bunji suggested.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have Dx12, and the launch pad informs me its not 11, and quits.
    Raeven and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Tkia Well-Known Member

And as I said, this could be an inaccurate error message.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Test server wont load for me. And MS wont let me get X11.x.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I selected Test, validated all assets. Said I was good. Clicked play, says I don't have Direct X 11.1 and stops.
  12. Raeven Well-Known Member

Put DXDIAG in your windows search box and hit enter. You should get a pop up screen, one of the tabs will say Display. On that tab, look for the line that says Feature Levels. See if it lists 11_0 and 11_1 after 12_0 .
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I have the sinking feeling that, no matter what they tell us in Minimum Requirements (lies? :-/), what they really mean is that we'll need to have EXACTLY DirectX 11.1 -- not 11, not 12, 11.1 only. I remember when 9.0 wasn't good enough for whatever peculiar reason (nor was 10.0, iirc) and we needed to have EXACTLY 9.0c. X-P

Uwk
    whose physical chipset in the Win7 desktop can't get 11.1 :-/
    Siren and Raeven like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Overall, what I'm guessing is, looking at the requirements:

[emphasis mine]

is that a) even with my laptop, I'm gonna need to go to Linux asap (since 12.0 is apparently the "wrong" level of DirectX), or b) quit playing the game (it's not a rage-quit; more of an "I can't actually play this any more"-quit). :(

Sigh.

Uwk
    who wonders: Which of us players had asked for this? and Why do you keep doing this to your players, O Powers? :-/
    Raeven likes this.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm; not on Win7. No Feature Level line, but everywhere else, mainly on the first tab, it says I have 11.0 on my computer, which is true.

Sadly, that's not good enough, even though they assured us that it was. :(

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That'd be nice... :D

Looking at my blackened laptop screen, I'm getting the exact same FPS I'd always gotten (averaging 67.2, ironically enough! X-D), so no help whatsoever for me. /shrug

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I think we need a new survey -- hang on, hang on, before you get out the torches and pitchforks, I mean a REAL survey -- to figure out who of us on Test (okay, small sample, but) had their playing lives improved by this, how many saw no changes, how many could actually get in but their quality of playing life plummeted (all those getting nothing but black with some words and numbers here and there, raise your hands), and those who can't get in at all, no matter how many chickens they sacrifice to the gods of NVidia, AMD, Microsoft, etc. (though there's probably a threshold for that, after which you won't be able to get into Heaven afterwards). X-P

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hey Beee, just a thought (I'd forgotten to look, I was so surprised by the Paint It Black by Numbers pallet); were you able to see the Chat window and messages there? :-/

Uwk
    who could see city maps just fine when pulled up, but that was it :-/
    Raeven likes this.
  19. Evilary Well-Known Member

Sadly, they have stated that the quality performances would be coming down the line. So its change it now, upgrade stuff later. Probably new expansions and a teeny bit of the old world slowly over time.
  20. Evilary Well-Known Member

Sadly, it looks like I'll be joining the line out the door due to them upgrading me out of being able to play. Minimum requirements stated 11.0, my computer has 11.0, I cannot log in cause it wants 11.1. Shame, I can play WoW, FFXIV, and a couple other games on this same rig but I won't be able to play EQ2 anymore. It's like they are jumping back in time. You had to have a killer of a PC back when they launched. Now they are pushing for higher requirements than other games yet again.