New character models

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sturmlocke, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Doranur_Aleguzzler New Member

You COULD drop the current two sets of character models, in favor of new and improved models. Just saying. Nobody is forcing y'all to do anything.
  2. Taled Well-Known Member

They COULD also drop all character models completely and have us all play as those pink cubes that render when the models are missing in the engine.

What's your point?
    Dude, Beneeto, Tkia and 2 others like this.
  3. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

I'm interested, what are the racial perks of being a pink cube? What is their racial ability? I feel like you only made half a post here.
    Dude likes this.
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler New Member

My point is that WE don't control the game, they do. If they want to make arbitrary changes, and they have, then they will, regardless what the players want. Also, if they can do better than what is currently available, then why not?
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  5. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Well, I added some more pics, just to showcase what a few subtle details can do to our aging chars: more and better facial and head hair, more facial customization options, slightly upgraded skins and more. Some changes are more noticeable than others. I believe there has to be a way to please both the fans of the more anime looking alternate models, and the fanbase of the original (western) art direction. The more options ppl get to customize their favorite char, the more ppl you are going to be able to reach out to. Just don't overdo it, as ppl are rightfully susceptible to change. I still remember when other mmos did this, it can literally create a huge shitstorm over the most basic changes. Add more polys to an eyeball and someone is bound to go nutts over it. Completely understandable though.

That being said, I do feel that some old vets might appreciate a minor facelift here and there. I sure would, but only if we don't leave our fellow players behind in the dust. I don't want to burn in hell.

Oh and in order to show my support for some bugfixing, like mentioned a few posts earlier, and some additional or more advanced visual character upgrade or costumization options, I just bought the VoV expansion, even though I'm not ready for it just yet, because I'm still having fun reliving the old expacs. Last but not least, I also bought another full year worth of subscription time. *thumbsup*
  6. Garthan Member

I don't like the alternate models, I never have. I remember when SOE launched them, I would say it was a 50/50 split on people hating on them and people who loved them. Personally, after I burnt out with EQ2 because of guild raiding drama in 2009, I went and played WoW. The mechanics were great, the graphics weren't...not a fan of the anime style graphics, never have been. That's why I've always ended up coming back to EQ2. I would love a revamp of the original models to make them a little more hirez, but I'm also happy the game doesn't look like EQ1 :p
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hm, that's interesting. I would reeeeally like to see if it's still a 50/50 split today. A poll here on the forum or in the game would be great for some feedback. And yeah, I agree, EQ2 does look great, even after all these years, but it has potential for so much more. Still grateful that we have the graphics that we have today though. Love EQ1, but I very much prefer the graphics and later design choices of EQ2 :)
  8. NyteRose Member

I'm not for or against the alternate models- I don't use them. But I am for more customization options and improvements to character models. I also support fixing bugs/glitches, improving or full overhauls of current systems/mechanics and varying enhancements to the game.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  9. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I like the alternate models, I always have. I remember when SOE launched them, I would say it was a 50/50 split on people hating on them and people who loved them. Personally, after I burnt out with EQ2, I played WoT. The mechanics were great, the graphics are superb... big fan of the anime style graphics, always have been, and I've always ended up coming back to EQ2. I would love a revamp of the original models to make them a little more hirez, but I'm also happy the game doesn't look like EQ1 :p
    lol, word shuffle
    I'm a fan of both tbh, but I play entirely soga
    I feel there are way more pressing things to take care of in game than changing 20 year old character models at this point, just my opinion.
  10. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

SOGA models used to be my go to till I noticed the female's backs. Then I promptly went back to the originals even if one can make a claymation joke with those.

The age of the non-SOGA models absolutely shows. Arasai, Fae, Sarnak, Freeblood, and Aerkyn are semi-free of this, but they are also sort of dated.

I don't expect a model overhaul with the 64-bit client move, but I also wouldn't be adverse to one if there was a survey/plans for the future lol.
  11. Xevran Well-Known Member

The only reason I use the soga models is because the hair looks better. I personally wouldn't really be that upset if they were removed, but I obviously can't speak for everyone.
  12. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

The hair is a lot better, yeah. The overall polish of the models is also a touch more uniform. It really screws up the "short" races more than anything - Dwarf, Gnome, and Halfling - by taking away or reducing most of their race-specific features.

I just can't get over the waterpark slide backs on the female models now, I can't unsee it lol.

If we could get something like the Fae/Aerakyn models with some facial touch ups that are more a hybrid of the two model tops, that would be nice. But definitely not a priority, not when there's so many unresolved bugs.
  13. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

What unresolved bugs would affect the art team working on characters?
    Sturmlocke and Pixistik like this.
  14. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Actually a fair point LOL. I just know that for whatever reason, whenever art updates come up people say "they'd be better off fixing bugs" ends up being used a rebuttal.
  15. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Had not thought of it that way.
  16. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The Japanese word for "continuous improvement" was Keiretsu iirc and was a major force many years ago when they retooled their auto industries and the way automobiles were built and literally took over the world starting with the introduction of Hondas. Interesting enough, it was an American who taught them the methodology, but the US automakers blew him off and said it would never work.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  17. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Can we pretend 20+ different player skeletons is a bug and get your bosses to prioritize consolidation?
    Sturmlocke, Sigrdrifa and ttobey like this.
  18. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

19. Shalyn90 New Member

I also wanted to give my voice to this discussion as Sturm already used my EQ2 character to demonstrate possible improvements to their looks. I totally agree on adding some more character costumizations and maybe even a graphical "facelift" in general.

That's why I wanted to put in my thought on how this could be realized:

Based on what you said here, ttobey, and continuing the latest discussion: what would it take, to convince your bosses to put together a kind of "character improvement" workforce for a limited time period to once and for all get rid of the skeleton chaos and start working on some additions and graphical improvements to the current character costumizations? It would end up in less stuff you need to touch to extend (or fix/maintain) each time and I guess also testing effort would be less. So in the end we will have a win-win-situation for all of us (well, maybe not for the devs who have to undertake the skeleton alignment ;) ) - for you guys less work that is in addition less errorprone and we enjoy our new character looks :D.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  20. Manafizzle Well-Known Member

New hairstyles would be fantastic. Even if they were marketplace bundles. These model changes don't look that different aside from the hair, do they? Isn't it the same body and relatively same face?

Expand half elf skin tones, please. Purple and blue should definitely be in there if one parent is a dark elf. :p
    Fuzion, Xevran, Taessa and 1 other person like this.