[Suggestion] Clarification of classes

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Radi, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Radi Member

Each Game Update to provide players with a description of each class from Devs Point-Of-View - the strengths and weaknesses of classes, as well as their possible use in a raids or groups. Thus, players will be able to track changes in the position of their characters, as well as identify lacks in balance and game mechanics.
  2. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

That'd be taking a lot away though wouldn't it? Figuring this out over the course of the first few weeks of the xpac actually gives people something to focus on. And if they came straight out and said 'oh, we think rangers are going to struggle this xpac, because xyz', don't you think that someone who's played that ranger for the last 12 years is going to be a bit.... upset?

From the devs point of view, if they had to summarise the classes each xpac, they would probably say exactly the same thing each time. Because they're not in the business of telling you how to play your character, and they are usually tight-lipped about changes that can impact particular classes because of kickback from the players.

Also if the devs go ahead and say, oh this class has tonnes of utility, so their dps capability has been reigned right in, then people playing those classes might not try to look for avenues to produce that dps, despite that not necessarily being their traditional role. Look at dirges in BoL for example, or channellers, monks etc. Yes you could just spec for their stereotypical raid role, or you could try to be better than that.
    Spindle, Elkana and Dude like this.
  3. Radi Member

I meant xpack of course :)

You are right, it may take a long time for developers but...
    I doc\comment my code while I write it. This is best practice !

Coming back into the deep:
    And many players simply leave this game when their class after the next update is lowered into the dust. Players find out about it anyway and they leave :(
    Or going what we are seeing now - publics of Inq\Bl\Summoners..

It is necessary not only to attract people with new chips but also to keep those who are already playing.
    I think.
  4. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

There are changes afoot which might make summoners the only happy ones in that group.

It seems to me as well that most top end guilds are set up with Inq/Mystic in every group, or at least 3 groups to max out melee dps. That may be about to no longer be the meta.

I predict ragequitting on a fairly significant scale in next few weeks.
  5. Radi Member

And what about other classes (non-bl rogues i.e.) ? And same question is asked by every novice player when choosing a class.
    And that's what I wrote this post :)
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Unlikely to happen, for a number of reasons. Number 1 being that the devs (as explicitly stated in one of the podcasts) don't know how the various class changes they make will actually play out when the changes hit live. If they don't know how changes will actually play out, it's clear they don't know what the class strengths and weaknesses will be, so they can't have a 'plan' for what the roles will be.
    Gillymann, Argosunited, Radi and 2 others like this.
  7. Faelfreeblood Active Member

Is part of the point, to keep it interesting. Out of genuine curiosity: would you ''conceivably'' want them to play for you also (up to a point)? Tell you really? Spell it out?

Relatedly: Its getting too cookie cutter and homogenized as is.

Strategy/discovery is art/fun of a game, and the point of that is fun of discovery and strategic thinking or at least from this play style aspect . Some people are just into statistics and math and playing it out in game.

Otherwise there is no point in making the changes, and keeping you interested.

Taking this to the logical or illogical, conclusion of this line of thought and applied to different aspects and play styles: you could just watch a youtube vid about the game while sitting in qynos or Nerik which is indeed what many do.

Reaching semi-apt exaggeration for point:
    (EQ interactive audio book anyone? Wrong medium? Yes,no, maybe? No need to shake things up then, or care for feeling it out.)
    Care for some tea?
    Or its like this in a different but related loose analogy/type example: In an adventure game getting a complete walkthrough because you don't want to play...well not really...but want to interactively experience the story.

Nothing wrong with that, if its what you want in that case, just saying, know your doing it at least....in case you find something you want to play fully. Maybe with a setup or processes more to your interests.

In keeping with above, ''if so'', so as not to cheat yourself that experience also. This can be a habit in many different ways and people come to think its just how to play, period.
    Spindle likes this.
  8. Radi Member

Wow, easy ;)
    If the developers write that shamans are heal + debuffs, and clerics are comparable heal + buffs, then we will at least understand (based on this point situation) that they do not really understand what they are doing :D

And whatever your skill level you probably won't be able to outparse OP class in your archetype. It's not stratery not practice and not personal skill.

And again: I don't propose to describe class features in delails, but only main features.
    But not as it is now when choosing a class!
  9. Radi Member

In this case, it is good that our real lives do not depend on them :(
    Do you have a link to this podcast ?
  10. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Can we create a good description of a teacher or a policeman? A description that so good is that after spending 10 minutes of reading it we are ready to give a lesson to the pupils or patrol the streets?
  11. Radi Member

I gave the example above. I can make such descriptions for most classes, but I would like to see it from devs' point of view.
    If they have it.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

13. Jrox Well-Known Member

But therein lies the bigger issue. I remember reading that not many of the devs actually play anymore and those that do, it's not enough to know the true nature of each class and how it performs solo, grouping, or in raid settings. So to the question then, should they not have some player base peeps to discuss things with on class specific questions. i.e. what works? What's broken in your opinion? What could make it more "FUN"? After getting those answers from a min of 3 players with different playing styles, go back and make decisions based on feedback while keeping in mind game mechanics (they only know the inner makings of) and true balance as that class is intended for the next content release (as only a dev should know going in).

They don't actually know where the disparity is, nor do they know why, on the players level. I play an Illy, can easily sit top three in most raid situations. That is not where I should be. It could be a few different things but more likely it is a combination of different factors. Enchanters should sit between 7-10 on the parser all things being equal. Same for Coercers who right now are down around 15-18 on avg. Scout's minus the BL and Assassin and Mages minus the Wizard/Warlock should make up the folks in between enchanters and BL's Assassin's Wizard's and Warlock's. ((Beast lord's should be on the top always. Why? Because of the work they have to put into their character to begin with. You want to rock the top of the parse, go put in the work. ))

But how can they achieve this without knowing what the underlying issue is and then actually taking the time to fix each class the way it needs to be rather than tweaking sh****t along the way and just screwing other things up. Correct your characters, then build your Mobs around that premise to give challenge and fun. You don't build your content then tweak the toons around the content. That is a recipe for disaster and long term bug issues. i.e. where we are now.

TL;DR Bug fixing and class changing... Stop sucking!

Just sayin...
  14. Priority Well-Known Member

How the crap are you top 3 on an illy? Do you only have 2 dps classes?
    Snikkety likes this.
  15. Revanu Well-Known Member

Safe bet, uses illy cloak and is in a casual guild. Thus a lot of these “rants” that are quite hilarious
  16. AOE1 Well-Known Member

After all these years I learned to count on having to relearn my class just about every xpac. Just take it for granted that things will be totally different, everything you knew you must relearn and all your adornments go into the delete folder, never more to be used. That makes things really easy.
  17. Bhayar Well-Known Member

We can do the former. What we cannot do is assume that just anyone can actually do either job by reading a description. There's a degree of affinity for the role that, if you have it, makes you a standout in that position. If you're in the position because it's a job or you lack the affinity, you're just filling space and time and the differences between two people, one representing the former and another the latter become obvious.
    I get what you're trying to say. Part of it is actually knowing what the job is, but the other part would be defining what personalities people have that resonate with the class description. A simple "this is the class" won't do it.
    Spindle likes this.
  18. Jrox Well-Known Member

Do you even play anymore?
  19. Jrox Well-Known Member

You need to put work in on your toon and focus a little bit. And Rev is right I am not in Musketeers. or any of the top 5 the devs cater too. Not that I couldn't easily enough.

I do wish there was an Illy I could bounce things off of like I used to with Skiass. I just don't know of any right now, not that they aren't out there. I am sure a few good ones still exist playing with old mentality "Need to keep my sh***T close to the vest for fear someone might catch me", but bruh, you done been had! ROFL

Just sayin...
  20. Priority Well-Known Member

I understand how optimization works, but your T1s clearly don't if an illy is 3rd

Edited for spelling